Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by AltoidSteph
    Im glad to see she is taking a stand against the governmetn for allowing Padilla to stay in the country while they had knowledge of his illegal status. Though it will not bring back her son or erase the pain caused by this tragedy, a resolution in her favor in this case can result in a better life for her and her family. That was something Steve himself tried to give his mother. As it was told to me, he helped his mother getthe things she needed that she could not afford for herself. I think all of the victims families should also pursue legal action againt the government.
    I agree. I can also speak to the fact that Steve did help him Mom out as much as he could.

I'm so happy that she is taking a stand.

wooo hoooo :)

i am excited for Steve's mother -- i hope that her lawsuit brings light to this tragic incident and the way our government cares not to inforce it's own immigration laws... she has my support

first 30 seconds of video. very annoying.

http://www.wjactv.com/video/10422409/index.html

This is simply irritating. Does he thing everybody is going to forget he killed 3 people just because he got rid of his lawyers???? This is rediculous, he is only prolonging the inevitable at the same time costing us money.

Quote Originally Posted by AltoidSteph
    This is simply irritating. Does he thing everybody is going to forget he killed 3 people just because he got rid of his lawyers???? This is rediculous, he is only prolonging the inevitable at the same time costing us money.
    That's what I'm saying....I was up near the courtroom today for a different matter and I saw his mother and I think stepfather (and the Mexican govt. representative) coming out and they were practically all smiles. Made me want to vomit. On the other hand, I also saw Judge Carpenter walking out, and he looked jacked.

So, sadly, the saga continues. It's criminal that family and friends still can't get closure.

Hey, nice to meet you all up there, lol.

Would any of you have any new news/articles from Altoona concerning this case?

This really is disturbing!
    (and the Mexican govt. representative) coming out and they were practically all smiles
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

according to what my dad told me he heard on the news, all the judge has to do is read it. He doesnt have to accept it or anything unless he sees something really wrong. Like the prosecutor said, meixco has no reason to be involved, he killed 3 American citizens and was tried by American citizens. They have no business in American matters.

http://www.altoonamirror.com/News/artic ... cleID=7097

Padilla files petition that postpones death sentence

By Phil Ray, pray@altoonamirror.com

HOLLIDAYSBURG — Convicted killer Miguel Padilla surprised a judge and attorneys Wednesday with a petition that will at least delay his expected death sentence and could result in a new sentencing hearing.

The petition, prepared with the assistance of the Mexican government, requests withdrawal of his no-contest plea to a gun charge stemming from the killing of three Altoona men in August 2005.

“I am unhappy about this,” Judge Hiram Carpenter said, speaking to a courtroom of more than 40 onlookers that included family and friends of the victims as well as Padilla’s stepfather and mother, his girlfriend and others.

Carpenter was expected to sentence Padilla to death after a jury from Cumberland County found him guilty in September on three counts of first-degree murder and recommended the death penalty.

The gun charge in question was severed from the trial because Carpenter didn’t want jurors to know that Padilla is an illegal alien.

After his conviction, Padilla pleaded no-contest to the gun offense.

The delay could be lengthy because Padilla’s attorneys likely will withdraw from the case. Carpenter then must appoint a lawyer and decide if Padilla can withdraw his plea to the gun charge.

If he can, that withdrawal could warrant another trial on the gun charge.

While the convictions on the murder charges stand, failure to get a conviction on the charges of possession of a weapon by an illegal alien could jeopardize the jury’s death sentence.

Although jurors did not know Padilla’s immigration status, they knew he had committed a gun violation.

That stipulation was used by the prosecution as a reason to justify imposition of the death penalty.

In his petition, Padilla said he instructed his attorneys not to agree to the stipulation during the homicide trial, but they did so anyway.

Padilla claims that Public Defender Don Speice, his trial attorney, and Ed Blanarik, who represented him during the death penalty phase, convinced him against his will to plead no-contest.

Padilla now says he always maintained his innocence to the charge. He says he was denied his right to be advised by the Mexican consulate before the plea.

Carpenter spent two hours consulting with District Attorney Richard Consiglio and Padilla’s lawyers after first viewing the petition Wednesday morning.

The judge delayed sentencing “in the interests of justice,” saying that forcing Padilla to be sentenced in a death penalty case represented by attorneys he thinks misled him leaves the appearance of injustice.

“We just have to wait to see what happens,” said Tim Brauns of Gallitzin, Padilla’s stepfather.

Consiglio and Assistant District Attorney Jackie Bernard took the victims’ family and friends to their office to discuss the delay.

“My feeling is certainly not a good one,” Consiglio said.

Sandra Miller, mother of murder victim Stephen Heiss, expressed her anger with the judge’s decision.

Consiglio said the Mexican government has been attempting to take over the case since Padilla’s arrest.

He accused Mexico through its Arizona attorney of using “treachery, dishonesty and flat-out lies” when it knows it has no right to interfere with a case in the United States.

“[Mexico] is trying to tell the United States what to do about murder that killed three Americans,” Consiglio said.

He said Mexico does not have standing to file petitions, so they are sent to Padilla, who files them under his own name.

Carpenter twice has ruled that the Mexican government has no standing to file petitions or make legal arguments in the case, but he said he can’t bar Padilla from making requests with the assistance of Mexico.

Padilla, a friend and the friend’s mother got into an argument with officials of the UVA Aug. 28, 2005, when they were denied entry to the club.

Those killed were Alfred Mignogna, the owner of the building on Union Avenue; Fred Rickabaugh, a doorman; and Stephen Heiss, a patron.

Mirror Staff Writer Phil Ray is at 946-7468.

stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by ashlynn422
    so all this crap about padilla just pisses me off im sick of this damn government not doing anything. are we just going to let the mexican gov control our courst bascially. i mean he did such an awful thing and he can just set out to postpone his death sentence it makes no sense at all. i have become a very racist angry person after this whole thing. Al was my pap and ill tell anyone who didnt know he was thee greatest guy ever and im not just saying that becasue i am related to him he truly was he made a point to help everyone and to know everyone that he could. and i too believe there should be some sort of express lane for this guy he deserves to die just as brutally as these 3 men did. if they dont do something soon i swear im gonna end up killing him myself. this has a ffected so many people! i dont know why he gets to do this its just wrong!!!!
    Welcome to ALIPAC Ashlyn.

You are right and it is terrible and wrong.

I hope you will stay with us and learn how to fight on our side.

William Gheen
    Pres. ALIPAC
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)