Page 266 of 740 FirstFirst ... 166216256262263264265266267268269270276316366 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,660 of 7393
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Ron Paul on the Issues

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Ron Paul winning delegates

Jeffrey Phelps

As the 2012 Race for the Republican Nomination turns toward this week’s primaries in D.C., Maryland and Wisconsin all eyes are on so-called “front-runners” like Romney who the media says is running away with the Delegates and is the “most likely” nominee.
    If you turn on the television today you have a very good chance of seeing the media’s general estimated delegate count for the four remaining “Republicans” that are vying for the 2012 nod.

Although the numbers vary slightly depending on which mainstream source used, currently, the establishment’s media is displaying the approx. totals as Romney leading with around 550 delegates, Santorum with around 240, Gingrich around 130, and Ron Paul trailing the pack with usually less than 50.

Are these numbers accurate? Let’s find out.

The first problem we see when studying delegate counts comes from the very first caucus held in Iowa back in January.

Although the media says they “estimate” the delegate count as proportionate to the percentages of votes won in each caucus, of Iowa’s 25 available delegate seats, even as Santorum, Romney and Paul basically split the votes there relatively evenly, somehow the media's estimated delegate count shows Santorum as winning 13 delegates and Romney winning the other 12….as if Paul received no votes whatsoever.

With that being said, if taking percentages of caucus votes into account to determine the estimated final delegate totals, the media’s general delegate estimate is already faulty after just the first caucus.

However, as we dig even deeper into the situation those estimated delegate counts are actually much further flawed than even the Iowa example shows.

Even though you haven't heard much about it in the media, in all the caucus states around the country Ron Paul’s delegate strategy is actually paying off as county after county and district after district are sending more Ron Paul Delegates to State Conventions than any other candidate.

How is that possible?

First and foremost, in the caucus states the original caucus that takes place is actually only a straw poll and truly only serves to inform the voters of each precinct as to where their perspective precinct’s voters generally stand.

The real elections don’t actually take place until immediately thereafter when those who wish to become delegates stay behind after everyone else goes home. This is where the process begins to narrow down the hundreds or thousands from each caucus state that want to become a delegate.

Individuals from each precinct that want to become a delegate pitch each other as to why they each deserve to represent their precinct at their County’s Convention. They then hold another election to decide who will fill those available seats and vote those individuals to those County Conventions, which typically takes place a couple weeks later, and many already have.

The process basically repeats itself at the County level as all those who were voted to County Conventions then vote to see who of those will represent their county at the district level, narrowing the field down even further.

From there, District Delegates will then vote a week or two later to see who will ultimately be selected to State Conventions, from there to the National Convention, where in Iowa’s case only 25 National Delegate seats are available.

Only then will the American people finally get to know the exact amount of delegates each candidate receives from the caucus states because it is there at the National Convention that those delegates finally make the official vote for the candidate of their choice.

Additionally, as these County and District Conventions continue to unfold, it is becoming widely evident that Ron Paul’s supporters have been the most educated on this process and also seem to be the most dedicated thus far.

Thousands of Paul Delegate hopefuls have been overrunning County and District Conventions all over the country. In turn, it has been mostly Paul Delegates that continue to move on to the next successive convention to this point, unless GOP Party ‘officials’ from those precinct, County or District Conventions purposely tried to illegally force Paul’s supporters from participating.

Unfortunately, that is something that has happened in quite a few locations around the country.

Being that as it is, in the caucus states that have actually held their straw poll and Precinct, County and District Conventions already, with so many Paul Delegates taking over the majority of the districts thus far, it is almost a done deal that Ron Paul will likely win much of the available delegate seats from many of the caucus states.

Even in some of the “primary” states like Virginia and Oklahoma there are portions of delegate seats available that are not bound to the original election and are open to any candidate that made the original ballot. These delegate seats will be apportioned in separate elections much like the caucus states.

Under these circumstances, if the establishment’s media continues to merely report an estimate proportionately based on the initial caucus straw poll in each caucus state, the American people will continue to be misled about what the actual count may be.

It will also be very interesting to see how the media handles the real numbers as they start to emerge from the National Convention. Ron Paul may actually currently be, by some estimates, in 3rd or even 2nd place overall behind Romney and truly seems to be gaining steam as the process continues to unfold.

Some in the GOP have shuttered at the fact that young Ron Paul supporters have done their homework and decided to go out in mass to attempt forcing their candidate into the Republican nomination and have tried to do everything they can to stop them from doing so.

The problem with that is Ron Paul’s delegate hopefuls have truly done their homework, know the GOP’s election laws and are following them by the book, something the other candidate’s supporters aren’t doing. This forces anyone trying to stop them to break the rules to do so.

The problem the establishment is having with even that scenario is that so many legal Paul Delegate hopefuls have decided to participate this time that the establishment doesn’t have the organization in place to cover the incredible amount of locations being overrun by Paul supporters, and in turn Paul’s Delegates are winning the majority of the Caucus State Delegates in many of those states anyway.

Stay tuned as this remarkable story continues to unfold.

Subscribe to Jeff's updates

Supporting Medium:

Establishment media's Inaccurate Delegate Count:

CBS News Politics: Estimated Republican Delegate Scorecard

WSJ: GOP Delegate Tracker

CNN: Republican Delegate Calculator

Truth:

RT: The Ronulans are among us: How Ron Paul’s delegate strategy is actually working

New American: Can Ron Paul’s Delegate Strategy Confound Conventional Wisdom?

US News: There is Still Hope for Ron Paul

Reality:

Iowa

HuffPost: Rick Santorum, Ron Paul On Track To Get Most Of Iowa's Delegates

(YouTube): Ron Paul Has Won a Lot of Delegates.....Oh Dear. – MSNBC

Nevada

Daily Paul: Breaking! Las Vegas, Nevada. Ron Paul Delegates SWEEP The Clark County Convention!

EGFC: Ron Paul Nevada Team Continues Winning Streak in GOP County Conventions

(YouTube): Ron Paul Supporters Swarm Clark County GOP Convention (3-25-12)

(YouTube): Ron Paul Sweeps All Delegates Out of Nye County, Nevada!

Maine

(YouTube): Ron Paul Is Second in Delegates and Can Beat Obama! (Post-Debate Interview with John King)

Missouri

Opposing Views: Ron Paul: My Campaign is "Doing Quite Well"

PolicyMic: Ron Paul Upsets Santorum In Missouri Caucuses Buoyed By Huge Youth Turnout

Facebook Notes: Upset by high Paul supporter turnout and victories, people resort to calling it “cheating”

(YouTube): Boone County Missouri Caucus #1 (03/17/12) RON PAUL WON 48/53 DELEGATES

(YouTube): Reality Check - GOP attempts to manipulate Ron Paul delegates in Missouri -HOW TO FIGHT BACK !!!

Colorado

Daily Paul: Boulder County Republican Convention

(YouTube): Ron Paul Wins Delegates despite voter fraud!

(YouTube): Ron Paul & the DELEGATE LIE!

Minnesota

RonPaulForums: Is Ron Paul #WINNING Minnesota?

(YouTube): Ron Paul Is Secretly Winning...

Washington

Sound Politics: Ron Paul Sweeps the 36th and 46th District Caucuses

(YouTube): RON PAUL DELEGATE WASHINGTON STATE DOMINATION!!! MIRRORED!

(YouTube): Ron Paul with Bret Baier after Washington Caucus (3/3/12) ITS ALL ABOUT DELEGATES

Alaska

DailyPaul: Alaska District Convention news. More good news!

Oklahoma

Examiner: Victory for Liberty in OK-5

(Youtube): Ron Paul Supporters in Oklahoma Fight Back and WIN Against Fraud and Corruption

Wyoming

DailyPaul: Ron Paul wins Hot Springs County Wyoming!

(YouTube): Reality Check: The Real Republican Delegate Numbers

Kansas

(YouTube): Ron Paul (Kansas) we will Win the majority of delegates in several States

Official GOP Election Rules:

"Robert's Rules of Order"

Ron Paul winning delegates - Denver Libertarian | Examiner.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Fox News Lies About Ron Paul (Again). Claims he stopped having campaign events

by Angel Clark | Examiner.com

2012 Republican Presidential candidate Ron Paul has been in the news recently, but not for reasons one may imagine. This writer has covered numerous events in the last week where Dr. Paul has attracted thousands of people to hear him speak. Wednesday night alone Dr. Paul filled a stadium in California with a crowd of between 6,000 and 7,000 people. In fact, in California, Dr. Paul has had over 12,000 people attend his town halls in two days.

You may have seen the coverage passed around on Examiner.com about his speeches and large crowds, but you have not seen coverage on Fox News. In fact, on Wednesday (the same day Dr. Paul was speaking to over 6,000 people) Fox News ran an article titled "Where in the World is Ron Paul?"

Continue reading at Examiner.com

Fox News Lies About Ron Paul (Again). Claims he stopped having campaign events | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Ron Paul 2012

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

GOP corruption in Missouri: An update

April 5, 2012
    Last week this blog carried videos of arrests in St. Charles and near riots in other counties. The GOP contest, which seems done to the national media, in fact, resembles the Russo-German front in World War II.

Read this report from Pamela Grow:
    Every one of Missouri’s 8 Congressional Districts has at least one county caucus being contested; several have more than one. Due to the nature of interpersonal communication among Paul supporters, who are legendary for both their fierce love of privacy and their individual initiative, I’m sure I don’t know about all of them.
    Not every county (especially in the northern 1/3 of the state) has a formalized leadership structure among its Ron Paul supporters. Doubtless there are a few “liberty vigilantes” (my term) who are not on anyone’s radar, who are trying to “clean up this town,” so to speak. Well, perhaps that is not completely accurate; no doubt they have put themselves on the state GOP’s radar, if they have contested their caucus. But that information is not discoverable by me, at this point. Why would the GOP disseminate this information? I can think of numerous reasons for them not to.

What I think of as “reverse” contests—from my perspective, Ron Paul-supporting delegates and alternates being challenged by the “anti-Paul” crowd—are completely concealed from me. No doubt my status as an 8th CD and state GOP delegate has been challenged! I can’t imagine on what grounds it could be. Through all of this, though, I have begun to think that truth is indeed stranger than fiction, and I have tried to mentally prepare myself as best I’m able. No one could even make this stuff up!

Missouri’s caucuses were potentially to elect 2,123 delegates both to their respective Congressional District (CD) and the state conventions. This number will give you a reference point.

St. Charles, with its combined 59 2nd CD and 88 3rd CD delegates, you have heard about. The caucus began with what I term the “picador-like jabs” of heavy-handedness, including police omnipresence, prohibition of recording, and corralling people–this was planned, as it primed the citizenry for angry outbursts. When the county GOP chairman, as temporary chair, appointed the caucus chair, the vocal response of the crowd was completely predictable. It is a testament to the self-control of the people attending the caucus that they behaved in as civilized a manner as they did. You know by now that a completely fresh start has been orchestrated for St. Charles, which (in my opinion) disenfranchises those other counties who convened and completed their caucuses within the time frame given.

Clay, north of Kansas City, with its 23 5th CD and 55 6th CD delegates (78 total), has been contested by the capable and determined grass roots group there. With a parliamentarian among them, they encountered every manner of irregularity, including a county chair who ran his own election as caucus chair, violations of privilege (no microphones with over 500 people in attendance), stalling tactics such as repeated vote counts (always producing different numbers), points of order from the floor being ignored.

If the initial vote count for caucus chair is indicative, the “establishment” (i.e., anti-Paul) chair nominee had 270 votes, the “Paul” chair nominee had 249. If I seem short on details, it is because I have wanted to see empowerment of the grass roots liberty activists, and rather than intruding, I have given help when asked only. The citizens in Clay are the ones who know the political culture there. They are vested; they have the largest stake in the outcome. It’s the old “give a man a fish, teach a man to fish” dichotomy. If control and power is to be devolved downward, the people have to be capable of handling it.
    Jefferson, south of St. Louis City and County, with 15 2nd CD, 39 3rd CD, and 19 8th CD delegates (73 total), is known to you. The entire caucus slate to the three CD’s and the state has been contested. The “old guard” in the county is no doubt threatened by a younger generation of Republicans there. Because man is a mortal being, this problem will resolve itself later, if not sooner.

Cass, south of Kansas City, with 43 4th CD delegates, has been contested by the aggrieved parties there. I’m told the two greatest concerns there were that the caucus time and location were changed less than 24 hours prior (against the stipulation in the Missouri Republican State Committee’s 2012 Call to Convention), and the delegate/alternate slates were manipulated by the caucus chair for at least 48 hours after the caucus adjourned.

The caucus is a deliberative body, convened and then adjourned, and has sole authority to determine the composition of the slates of delegates which issue. For the chair to autocratically decide he would “credential” people off or on the rolls, after the caucus was over, is not how things are to be run.

Christian, east of Springfield and in the southwestern part of the state, with 37 7th CD delegates, has been contested by a faction within the Ron Paul supporting group there. I have been unable to mediate any healing in that county. I have no doubt that there were irregularities, but I doubt that Ron Paul supporters there were in the majority. They may have been a significant minority, however, and with more capable and impartial leadership of the caucus, there would be much less angst overall.

Jackson County, with 144 5th CD and 35 6th CD delegates, is having 20 or so of its 5th CD delegates challenged, because these individuals do not belong in the 5th CD, but rather, the 6th. The astoundingly dedicated Ron Paul supporters in Jackson were able to place their own delegates in their (redistricted) CD’s, but the 20 who are being contested were affiliated with another candidate, I’m told, and did not actually belong in the 5th.
    Additional, smaller contests, that I’m aware of and the reason(s) for their contests–as I understand them–are:

• Spanish Lake Township of St. Louis County (5 1st CD delegates): parliamentarian took the chair
    • Crawford County (9 8th CD delegates): disregard for RONR
    • Mercer County (2 6th CD delegates): caucus chair put herself and another on the list, disappeared into a back room to count, returned and announced the election of delegates (she and the friend won), told a Ron Paul supporter who asked, “the ballots were destroyed–too late.”

One of the individuals involved in a larger county’s contest said, “Fish rot from the head.” When the national leaders take an oath to obey and defend the Constitution, and violate that oath, the decay in the political culture inevitably spreads. Astounding as these events are, I suppose I shouldn’t really be all that surprised.

https://dougwead.wordpress.com/2012/...uri-an-update/

In the trenches, more on the establishment fight against Ron Paul

April 5, 2012
    Nevada is one of many state caucuses that is turning out to be quite successful for Ron Paul and for the GOP in general. Large numbers of youth and Hispanics are participating. Which bodes well for the future of the GOP. And the State Convention will be loaded with Ron Paul supporters duly elected at County Conventions. But the road to the State Convention has been littered with bodies of brave Ron Paul supporters, humiliated and denied of their right to vote or participate.
    This is part of an ongoing report, exposing corruption and control by GOP establishment figures at the local level who have attempted to shut down the process and force their will on the majority. We will not forget the the brave souls who stood up to these bullies. And this column will continue to expose to the sunshine what happened at these meetings.
    What follows is a report from Jennifer Kruger.
    On March 9, 2012, I arrived at the Carson City Republican Headquarters office on Fairview and California Street, Carson City, Nevada, to file my delegate registration form and fee. I advised that I will not declare who I plan to vote for and did not believe that question was legal. Carol Howell said, in an extremely hostile and confrontational voice that the question is who we are voting for but who we are supporting. I advised that I cannot believe anyone would think that someone would support one man and vote for another, so the question is nothing but semantics.
    At the same time, another gentleman named Ron P. was in the office and he too shared with me that he did not declare who he supports because of how the process went in 2008. He was speaking to me. However, as we were exiting the building, Carol shouted, “and how did the process go in 2008” in a tone that was challenging. He just kept walking and I was a little surprised at her continued hostility toward another fellow Republican.
    On March 10, 2012, I arrived a little early for the Republican County Convention on Mallory Way, Carson City, Nevada, because this was my first time participating in the process and had an excitement to be involved. After checking in, I was directed to the table with the badges. I noticed a number of badges had a one to two inch strip of clear tape across the front, mine included. I did not understand why certain badges were marked with tape. There were no rips, tears or other purpose for the tape to be placed on the front of the badge. I was advised that I must keep my badge in full view at all times. Not understanding the significance of the tape, I removed it.
    When I entered the room, I was provided with a printed copy of the agenda and directed to take my seat according to my precinct. I was seated in the very back of the room because of my precinct number being 301. I reviewed the agenda thoroughly and identified that the documentation indicated we would take elections of state delegates from the floor.
    The male chairman, Bud I believe, asked for a nomination for the chairman of the day’s events. A nomination came for a Lori Baldwin, I believe. There was another nomination for someone named Carol but not sure of the last name. A man approached and made a motion to close the nominations and seconded the nomination for Lori. There was a vote and the issue was resolved. First of all, I sat as the President and Legislative Chair for a large association in Nevada and know that the rules do not allow someone, anyone, to summarily end nominations simply because they’ve made their personal choice. There was no request from the chair for a second on the nomination for Carol. It was simply dismissed and majority voted for Lori, who arrived on stage jumping up and down cheering like a school girl. She arrived well prepared with notes specific to the day’s events. It was quite clear she had the distinct expectation that she would receive the nod for the position without opposition (regardless of the nomination in opposition that was summarily dismissed with the wave of a hand).
    After commencement of the meeting under Lori’s leadership and her motion to adopt the agenda, a gentleman, Mr. Davies, approached the microphone and inquired about calling question to an item on the agenda that appeared contradictory to the rules. The male chairman, who I believe is named Bud but was seated this time, stuck out his finger at Mr. Davies and yelled “this is NOT how this is done!” He did not have a microphone but I heard him very clearly and it was shocking to see such hostility towards a young man who had only a question. I had planned to question items myself, but this reaction was so shocking and, in combination with the treatment I received at HQ, I was very intimidated and thought I would likely sit quietly and observe. I did not wish to be publically humiliated as was the case with Mr. Davies. He was advised that he would have an opportunity to discuss the delegate elections when we arrived at that agenda item, regardless of the fact that that agenda item appeared to contradict rules.
    The male chairman, again Bud I believe, discussed the platform and advised that after the platform is adopted then he would allow delegates to approach and discuss planks submitted to the committee but not found on the list. He then admonished that if anyone has issues with not having a plank on the list, it would be time consuming and “none of us want to be here all day”. I wrote that down. The platform was voted approved by the majority. Then, another gentleman (I did not get his name but he was recorded by the secretary) approached to discuss a plank he submitted that he did not see listed and he was told by the same chairman that we were not going to discuss these items and the platform was already approved and it was time to move on. He said that if he had problem with the platform, then he should have come to the committee meetings. He said he’d called around and no one showed an interest in participating. First of all, I distinctly heard him promise us an opportunity to speak on planks submitted and then listened to him deny someone that very opportunity. It was appalling. Then, he said they should have come to the committee meetings. I never received a phone call from anyone so I’m not sure who he was calling for participation but he didn’t call me.
    At about this time, it was time to discuss the agenda item that appeared contradictory to the rules and Mr. Davies had appeared to have been escorted to another room just prior so he was absent during a part of the discussion. His attention was gathered and he quickly approached to discuss the item. He said, on microphone, that he believed dividing into precincts or other designed groups do not align with the rule that the delegates will be elected from the floor.
    Now, this is where true hostility and unbelievable disrespect was at its peak thus far. All three seated individuals (one male and two female) yelled, out of turn, “it says MAY”. I sat forward in my chair to see what was happening at the table. Carol Howell, the lady from the HQ that had previously shown me disrespect, was the loudest voice I heard and she addressed Mr. Davies directly by stating it says “may elect delegates from the floor not must”. Lori, the chair, appeared to say something to them but I could not hear. She then told Mr. Davies that they were going to try to first elect from the floor. If they failed, they would move to an alternate method. Then, she did not at all appear to be prepared to do that. She started to discuss how the delegates should be elected based on who they declared they are going to vote for so that proportionate shares go to the candidates based on the caucus results.
    There was a loud outrage from many individuals from the floor because this did not protect our rights to maintain secrecy in our vote. I was one of them. She muttered several times “how are we going to do this” and then after some shouts from the floor on suggestions of how to take elections from the floor she asked all delegates who planned to go on to state to stand up. There was a “count off” starting in the front with the number one. When we reached 76, she stopped and asked everyone to sit down. There were approximately 15-20 more delegates after 76 was reached. She said “this is exactly what I suspected. We have more delegates that delegate positions”. That being said, we had 78 delegates with an equal number of alternates. The simple solution was presented to Lori was that 15-20 delegates who were willing to be alternates be identified and the rest are elected as delegates without violating their rights by forcing them to declare who they support. Lori, again, summarily dismissed this suggestion and advised the crowd that they had already prepared for this turnout to be as it was and had four clipboards prepared for the four delegates. Each delegate would get their proportionate percentage of the 78 delegates (plus alternates) based on caucus results.
    There was call for discussion. Many points were raised about how this was against the rules and inappropriate. It was voted by majority after Lori called a halt to any further discussion. A motion was made to amend the decision a second was shouted and Lori said (and I wrote this down) “No, we’re done. Go to your corners”. A delegate shouted to her, “what if I haven’t decided yet”, she said “you better pick one quick or sit down and don’t get elected”. I stood there shocked and outraged. I could not believe that my rights were being trampled. I had chosen not to declare who I supported and now I was being forced to do so against my will if I wanted any chance at all to go to the state convention.
    I stood stunned for about five minutes. There was a delegate from my precinct, older lady whose husband is a Vietnam War Veteran with a disability, and she was so outraged, she refused to stand up and was nearly in tears over the way we were being treated.
    I finally went to my corner for Ron Paul. There appeared to be more Ron Paul delegates and supporters in that corner than any other corner in the room. We had a clip board given to us that was typed up with 12 lines, numbered for our delegates and then below that, another 12 lines, numbered for our alternates. I saw the clipboard for another candidate’s corner and it had 34 (I believe) lines for delegates and same for alternates. It well planned, in advance that this would be the way we elected our delegates for state. I am speechless. After the other candidate’s corners were elected and disbanded, our group continued to negotiate from 50 to 12. Lori and other board members frequented our corner and told us to “get it done or we’ll do it for you” and “we don’t have all day, get it done”. We had only been there ½ hour. That’s not long considered we had only the second fewest delegates allowed with the largest representation of delegates wanting to go.
    I heard a comment from another small group of my fellow Republicans that we are “whackos over in that corner” and I also heard the words “crazy” and “ridiculous” referring to the passion from the Ron Paul as well as other candidates’ supporters in demanding a process that was in alignment with the rules. I felt dirty. I have never in my life been referred to as crazy or a whacko nor disrespected on this level. I truly and firmly believe that the way the board members treated me and those who questioned the process set the stage and example that lead our fellow Republicans to treat us also with disdain. We were labeled outcasts and disparaging remarks continued until I left.
    In summary, I was excited to be part of the Republican Party. I was excited to be involved at the caucus and to be elected a delegate. I am proud of my convictions and what I stand for. However, after the Republican County Convention, I felt sick, disgusted and humiliated. I know these folks in the community and I do business with many of them. The board and chair included treated me in such a way that I am personally and professional humiliated and embarrassed. My business associates now know who I am voting for and how the board feels about me and those who stand up like me. The board’s abuse of their power was unfathomable. I’ve been actively involved in professional boards over the decades and never, never saw such abuse. I cannot put into words any further how this was such a violation of the process. I pray for attention to this matter.

https://dougwead.wordpress.com/2012/...inst-ron-paul/

Romney will pick Huckabee as VP

April 4, 2012
    Romney will pick Huckabee as VP

If Mitt Romney does win the GOP nomination, who will he pick as Vice President? He will float a number of names for political reasons. His list will surely include Paul Ryan, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, Rick Santorum, Rob Portman, Sara Palin, Newt Gingrich and Chris Christie. All with good reasons.

Consider this, the home states of several of these men, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio and New Jersey are swing states.

Ryan, Rubio, Santorum, Gingrich and Christie are Catholics. He will need that Catholic vote. And his list will be loaded with Catholics since he isn’t going to pick one of them. Well wait, if the race for the nomination should encounter a hiccup at this late date, he will have to take Rick Santorum anyway, to guarantee that he has enough delegates. A situation he wants to avoid. But don’t count on it.

He will have Sarah Palin on his short list because he needs a woman and he needs to shore up his relationship with born again Christians. But he doesn’t need too many born again Christians on his short list because he is going to choose one of them anyway.

The choice of Rand Paul is a no brainer for the list. His father and presidential contender, congressman Ron Paul, has great appeal to three critical constituencies, youth, Hispanics and Independents. Paul typically won the youth vote in the GOP primaries and caucuses and his appeal to Hispanics was a surprise to the Party. For example, in Clark County, (Las Vegas) Nevada he won 52% of the Hispanic vote while three other candidates split the rest. A recent CBS survey found him even beating Obama with Independents. Let’s see, youth, Hispanics, Independents? That’s not only the future of the Republican Party, that’s the only way to beat Obama this time. Rand would actually make a good choice.

He will probably throw in Newt Gingrich’s name too. Just to heal some old wounds. After all, Gingrich, not Santorum, was the real threat all along. And Gingrich was the target of most of his millions of dollars of negative attack ads.

But these are only names that will be on his announced short list. He will not actually pick any of the above.

Marco Rubio, governor of Florida? He may be a Catholic but he was baptized as a Mormon. His grew up in a family of Latter Day Saints. It would be too weird having a Mormon on the top of the ticket and a former Mormon as the second. It would be like a Catholic picking a Catholic or an Hispanic picking a Hispanic. Besides it would remind evangelicals of their worst fear, that the whole government will be forever loaded with Mormons too. That Mormons will be running the IRS and auditing their churches.

Romney, if he has any chance of winning at all, will pick former Arkansas governor, Mike Huckabee, as his running mate. Because Huckabee is a born again Christian who is vetted. Two very big factors. Now if Huckabee were only a woman and an African American there wouldn’t be any doubt about it. But the Romney campaign has been pretty stunning in its missteps. So there is no guarantee that it will pick Huckabee. People do stupid things. Especially Romney. And then, gas prices may climb to $8 a gallon and then he can pick whomever he wants.

Consider, 48% of the nation claims to be born again Christians. If even a fraction of them sit at home, the South, bulging with African American voters for Obama, will tilt to the Democrats. Huckabee can help Romney carry the South. And all of the other VP candidates will have surprises in the closet that will come out. Huckabee too had some of those surprises but they are old news. And they are manageable.

The first rule of choosing a VP is do yourself no harm.

https://dougwead.wordpress.com/2012/...uckabee-as-vp/

Romney gets nasty in Nevada but Ron Paul prevails

April 1, 2012
    For Ron Paul supporters there is good news coming out of Nevada but the price paid to win these victories has been brutal. Here goes. A report from people in the trenches.

In Carson City, the vast numbers of Ron Paul supporters made no difference. The chair ignored them. The Carson City Caucus was so ugly that the insider, GOP, Romney establishment itself splintered under the pressure. More than one eyewitness compared it to rape.
    This from a GOP insider who has been used in the past as a Sergeant of Arms. ”It was disgusting. The whole atmosphere was negative. The leaders were angry and arrogant. One fellow had a legitimate question about procedures and was shouted down by the chair. He was then escorted out by the Sgt at Arms to be talked to. This question was answered with one sentence later, during the proceedings!”
    Here are some observations from Tom Mangone, a businessman.
    “One young man stood in the middle of the group of the candidates he supported. He was very calmly stating that we all came here to become delegates to represent our county. He stood his ground in a polite way to become a delegate. The gal who was ‘running’ our group condescendingly said, ‘Do you want me to call the Sergeant of Arms?’ I was proud of this young man, he calmly responded, ‘For what, wanting to participate?’ I later found out he was on the Nevada State Debate Team.
    ” A woman, who was pregnant and ready to give birth at any moment, participated in her precinct meeting and became a delegate to the county convention. However, I do not believe she got the opportunity to become a delegate to state, based solely on the candidate she supports.
    “But, a man, from my own precinct, who did not participate in the process and did not attend his precinct meeting, showed up only at the county convention. He stated that he could not even attend the state convention, but he became a delegate because of his candidate of choice. This took a spot from someone that wanted to represent Carson City and would have been at the state convention to do so.”
    Jennifer Kruger, a professional businesswoman, wrote a critique of the event, point by point, that will break your heart. I am trying to get permission to pass it on.
    Another observer sent me this in an email: “What sickens me is the fact that most, if not all of those thirty and younger were Ron Paul supporters and they saw just what the good ol Boys and their of ladies had done to them and see how America works now at least in Carson City.
    “I am sick of the old country club set, making their decisions behind their luxury doors, establishing ‘rules and techniques’ that enable them to have it ‘their way or the highway’ as declared by them from the podium.
    “This country needs the young people and they were raped at the Carson City GOP Convention and it was sad to watch helplessly!”
    Concludes Mangone: “You read about these kinds of events happening elsewhere, not thinking that it could happen here. I left wondering if we were still in America. It seems that while attending an event such as this you would think we would all be on the same team. And even though the front table suggested that we were, they insisted we get divided in four separate groups. I counted on these people to do the ‘right thing’ and I was sadly mistaken.
    “I guess I should feel lucky because in other countries if you question how the voting process is ran or decline to share who you voted for, you wind up in jail or a bullet is put in your head. Sadly, this country is heading towards that mentality. Trust is now completely gone for the Carson County Republican Party.
    “I saw the faces of several individual voters, (for most this was their first convention experience), and there was disbelief from all arenas. Many could not believe the Republican leaders did this and a few stated that they were no longer interested in politics. More and more of these types of events are happening across the country and it is driving a wedge right through the Republican Party. Many Republican voters have been lost. With the polls showing such a close race this type of behavior is gift wrapping Obama another four years in office.”
    But Carson City corruption aside, statewide, Ron Paul is prevailing. In Henderson, Nevada he swept all state delegates from Nye County and won a strong majority of state delegates from Douglas County.
    Nye County Republican Party leadership had attempted to fill empty precinct delegate slots with people who failed to be elected or even participate in the February 4th caucus precinct meetings. Ron Paul supporters worked tirelessly to keep the convention running by Republican Party rules. After a tiring circle of threats from the chair to shut down the proceedings unless attendees turned a blind eye to the cheating, Paul supporters elected a chair determined to conduct the proceedings in a fair manner.
    With this blow was dealt to the current Nye County Republican Party leadership, they all departed – forfeiting any intention to represent or lead their county to the state convention. The end result in Nye County was a fair, compliant election of a slate of delegates and alternate delegates to the state convention, all backing Dr. Paul.
    Farther west in Douglas County, Ron Paul supporters locked down more than half of the 108 state delegates and many alternate delegate positions.
    Reflecting on the powerful impact the Paul conservative movement is having in Nevada, Ron Paul 2012 Nevada State Chairman Carl Bunce said, “Supporters of Dr. Paul are reshaping Republican politics in Nevada. They have the stamina and determination to bring the party back to its limited government roots, county by county.”
    The Nye and Douglas successes add to a decisive victory in Clark County, the populous county encompassing Las Vegas. In Clark, Paul secured approximately 60 percent of the delegates heading to the state convention, and won a supermajority of the Clark County Republican Executive Board.
    Progress and momentum such as in this is hardly limited to Nevada. It is happening in Washington, Missouri, Iowa and other states. There are setbacks. In North Dakota, where on Super Tuesday Rick Santorum won and Ron Paul came in second, the state convention was hijacked by Mitt Romney lawyers. Romney, who came in third place in the Super Tuesday voting, nevertheless took 60% of the delegates there, even though outnumbered at the convention.
    Says Jesse Benton, Ron Paul Campaign Chairman, of the battles now raging at state conventions, “Beltway insiders might dismiss it, some in the media may choose to overlook it, and establishment party hacks will at times cheat, but nothing can stop the Ron Paul-influenced reawakening of the conservative movement in America. Voters are smarter than the representation they’re getting and the empty rhetoric of fake conservatives and serial hypocrites.”

https://dougwead.wordpress.com/2012/...paul-prevails/

VIDEO: Coverage of Berkeley/S.F. Events-Video/Pics & More

Submitted by John P. Slevin on Thu, 04/05/2012 - 14:42
    Ron Paul 2012
    California

UPDATES:--wouldn't you know it, the Berkeley webcam at this part of campus is out now! Really!

SPEECH NOW ENDED-We'll post Full Video When We Have It

IMPORTANT: For Updates check here, by Twitter AND in Comments

Report: Crowd guesstimate 2,000-3000 20 minutes before speech; people streaming in; this is a large lawn area, people can approach from many directions

Just heard Channel 2 interviewed Ron Paul supporters at the impromptu Union Square Sign and Registration Event earlier today! RP has been interviewed today also by Channel 7 and Channel 4

LIVESTREAM: SPEECH NOW!

SPEECH NOW ENDED-We'll Post Full Speech when we have it

Photo: Earlier Crowd Shot shared by Tyler J. Sellers

Photo: Another Earlier Crowd View shared by kat

Photo: Biden doesn't get crowds like this! shared by Marcus Ferdinand @marferdinand

Photo: Packing 'em in now!

Photo: Crowd forming 1.5 hrs. Before Speech.

45 minutes before Speech; reported over 1,000 so far

Official Campaign---Venue Moved Outdoors/ to Glade

Watch this post for Updated Coverage of the Berkeley Speech.

If you are at the Berkeley Speech Send Your Video/Pics and Reports to us so Daily Paul users can know what is happening!

Twitter: WinLiberty (@WinLiberty) on Twitter @WinLiberty winliberty@gmail.com

People reporting FROM the event-Follow them directly:
    Marcus Ferdinand (@marferdinand) on Twitter @marferdinand
    Brad the. Dad (@harrisbradley) on Twitter @harrisbradley

While you wait:

VIDEO: Coverage of Berkeley/S.F. Events-Video/Pics & More | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Ron Paul 2012

bttt
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 04-06-2012 at 02:31 AM.

Paul Festival - Tampa, FL Aug.24-26

Submitted by jaek117 on Thu, 04/05/2012 - 21:00
    Events
    Florida

BIG NEWS fellow Ron Paul supporters and Lovers of Liberty everywhere! Over the past several months, a coalition of grassroots supporters from across the country (some of the same individuals who brought you the Revolution March on Washington DC, with over 15,000 participants, as well as some volunteers from the Rally for the Republic with over 20,000 in attendance), have joined forces with other talented supporters to produce what many of you have been blogging and posting about here for quite some time!

Introducing: PAUL FESTIVAL

Florida State Fairgrounds (pending) - August 24-26, the weekend before the Republican National Convention!

This event will be THE event of our generation, and will be held in honor of Dr. Paul, the Champion of the Constitution, which he has dedicated his entire life to upholding. Also, it just so happens that his 77th birthday falls a few days beforehand, so come join us in the celebration! With a capacity of over 100 thousand people, over 355 acres, 20,000 lit parking spaces, 400+ camping sites, and six buildings with over 273,000 square feet of indoor space, this will be the BIGGEST festival celebrating Liberty in the history of our time, BY FAR! Let the LAMEstream media try to keep US quiet!

We invite you to connect with us and get the latest updates at
    www.PAULFESTIVAL.com

This will be a massive undertaking, and WE NEED VOLUNTEERS!!!

You will also have the opportunity to make advanced ticket purchases on the website, as well as reserve travel and lodging packages, T-shirts, and more!

This is a GRASSROOTS effort, organized and put together by dedicated everyday individuals just like you who have volunteered their time and energy to the cause of Liberty. WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT in order to make this event a reality. THIS IS A NON-PROFIT EVENT.

All donations and funds raised will go toward the promotion/production of this event, securing an A-list of celebrities, and musicians, etc. This may be a pivotal moment in bringing awareness to the 521 delegates up for grabs at the convention, and securing the GOP nomination for Dr. Paul. We intend to invite ALL the delegates to experience the message of freedom- and have fun doing it!

LETS MAKE THIS THE LOUDEST, MOST IMPACTFUL CRY FOR FREEDOM AND LIBERTY THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN – COME BE A PART OF HISTORY!

Paul Festival - Tampa, FL Aug.24-26 | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Ron Paul 2012
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 04-05-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Paul Speech Excites Large Berkeley Crowd-Full Video & Pics

Submitted by John P. Slevin on Thu, 04/05/2012 - 14:42 Ron Paul 2012
    California

Ron Paul Rocked a Large Crowd in Berkeley

Video: Full Berkeley Speech Here

LiveStream provided by San Joaquin County for Liberty sjc4rp.info ronpaulsanjoaquin.freeforums.org
    LiveStream info relayed by Daily Paul user i_am_free

Photo: A Very Good Pic Of the Crowd. shared by Daily Paul user i_am_free
    Photo: Earlier Crowd Shot shared by Tyler J. Sellers
    Photo: Another Earlier Crowd View shared by kat
    Photo: Biden doesn't get crowds like this! shared by Marcus Ferdinand @marferdinand
    Photo: Packing 'em in now! shared by Marcus Ferdinand
    Photo: Crowd forming 1.5 hrs. Before Speech. shared by Harris Bradley

THANK YOU to all who helped with Video, Pics and Reports.

Send Video, Pics and Info: WinLiberty (@WinLiberty) on Twitter @WinLiberty winliberty@gmail.com

People reporting FROM the event-Follow them directly:

Marcus Ferdinand (@marferdinand) on Twitter @marferdinand
    Brad the. Dad (@harrisbradley) on Twitter @harrisbradley

UPDATES:

Aside from thanking everyone who helped with this coverage I'd especially like everyone to consider the very hard and lonely work of whoever did the last minute venue change in Berkeley.
    The Berkeley Chapter of Students for Liberty helped co-ordinate this event --- It could not have been easy and you pulled it off just great. Thank you!

My guess on audience size is comparative; like the other events it's not possible to know a hard number. The Berkeley audience was perhaps roughly the size of Chico and Madison. I really haven't seen enough to know for sure.

It was not as big as UCLA. For now, BRUINS RULE!

Just heard Channel 2 interviewed Ron Paul supporters at the impromptu San Francisco/Union Square Sign and Registration Event earlier today! RP also has been interviewed today by Channel 7 and Channel 4

More After the Jump:

Paul Speech Excites Large Berkeley Crowd-Full Video & Pics | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Ron Paul 2012