Page 531 of 740 FirstFirst ... 31431481521527528529530531532533534535541581631 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,310 of 7393
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Ron Paul on the Issues

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Why is everyone mad? We are good! #Texas

Submitted by KMX on Fri, 06/08/2012 - 01:01
    Texas

Today was the 1st real day of the Texas Convention. Few things to note.

-We removed 3 people on the Rules Committee and replaced them with Liberty minded people.

-Almost every single ALT was seated. In some SD's there were not even enough ALT to fill in for the missing delegate spots.

-We have numbers, in larger amounts, some SD's we have clear majority.

Follow me on twitter tomorrow for updates. @Korywatkins

Why is everyone mad? We are good! #Texas | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Ron Paul 2012
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Romney, Obamacare Ties

June 6, 2012 by Sam Rolley

UPI
    Mitt Romney’s past positions on healthcare may appeal to voters on the left.

Republican Presidential candidate Mitt Romney, it turns out, defended the individual mandate requirement of his Massachusetts healthcare reform bill that would later become the model for Obamacare when he was Governor of that State.

The candidate continues to defend the State’s healthcare overhaul, saying that it was the right thing for Massachusetts. But, Romney has also been reassuring wary Republican voters that he is dedicated to doing away with Obamacare during his first days in office if he is elected President.

The Wall Street Journal dug up some emails this week from Romney’s tenure in the Governor’s office, and they really don’t do much to help him back up his claim. The emails detail discussions between Romney and his staff as they tried to figure out how to sell the people of Massachusetts on his healthcare overhaul.

WSJ reports:
    “We must have an individual mandate for any plan to work,” Tim Murphy, Mr. Romney’s health secretary, wrote the governor and several aides on Feb. 16, 2006, in an email analyzing the latest confidential Democratic proposal, which he wrote was “unclear” about that requirement.

That Democratic proposal, obtained by the Journal, didn’t include such a mandate, and instead focused on “individual responsibility,” aiming to “encourage individuals to buy health insurance, not go uninsured.”

According to the emails, Mr. Romney personally drafted an op-ed article published in The Wall Street Journal the day before he signed the legislation.

The draft, written on a Saturday, also defended the individual mandate, in different language from the final version of the piece as published.

Using an argument deployed today by the Obama administration, Mr. Romney defended the mandate by noting that taxpayers generally foot the bill when the uninsured seek health care.
    If reiteration that Romney provided the template for Obamacare while running the State of Massachusetts — even defending what would later become one of its most controversial provisions — isn’t enough to make conservative voters have to hold their noses to support the GOP pick, there’s the fact that one of his campaign advisers stands to profit from the healthcare overhaul.

Politico reports that former Utah Governor Michael Leavitt, who appointed Romney to run the 2002 Olympic games, has already started leading the would-be Romney Administration’s transition team and is in line for the important gig of White House chief of staff. Leavitt, who served as the Health and Human Services secretary under George W. Bush, has used his expertise to set up a consulting firm that stands to profit greatly from helping States implement insurance exchanges under Obamacare.

Romney, Obamacare Ties : Personal Liberty Alerts
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Friday, 08 June 2012 15:10
    Rand Paul Endorses Mitt Romney for President; Ron Paul Says He Can't Win GOP Nom
    Written by Joe Wolverton, II

Rand Paul Endorses Mitt Romney for President; Ron Paul Says He Can't Win GOP Nom

Last night on the Sean Hannity Show, Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.) endorsed Mitt Romney for President.

Instantly the Vice-presidential buzz filled the air with many asserting that the only thing that could compel the son of one presidential candidate to throw his support behind another one would be the promise of the number two spot on the Republican ticket.

Telling Hannity that his “first choice had always been [his] father,” Senator Paul went on to say that now that the nominating process his over he would be campaigning for former Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney.

It may come as a shock to some readers to hear a member of the Paul family admit on national television that the nominating process is over and that Romney is the Republican candidate. What is even more shocking, perhaps, is that Congressman Ron Paul (R-Texas) said nearly the same thing in an email to supporters and in an address to the Texas State Republican Convention earlier this week.

“When it is all said and done, we will likely have as many as 500 supporters as delegates on the convention floor,” the libertarian-leaning icon said in his email.

“That is just over 20 percent! And while this total is not enough to win the nomination, it puts us in a tremendous position to grow our movement and shape the future of the GOP,” he continued.

Then, in reference to the hundreds of delegates chosen at the various state party conventions to represent their states at the national convention, Ron Paul said, “[we] will send several hundred additional supporters to Tampa who, while bound to Romney, believe in our ideas of liberty, constitutional government, and a common-sense foreign policy.”

Finally, the elder Paul encouraged his legion of devoted followers to “let the establishment know that we are the future of the Party and of the country.”

Which may cause many Paul supporters to scratch their heads and wonder if the best way to wrest control of the Party from the tight grip of the Establishment is to endorse the Establishment’s candidate.

In fairness, Ron Paul has not endorsed Governor Romney as yet, but he surely understood that his son was about to and that it would be seen by many as an act of betrayal.

In that vein, Twitter, the online social media site that has become a haven for constitutionalists and progressives alike, was awash in messages calling Rand Paul a “traitor” and a “sellout.” Millions of Ron Paul admirers that use the service to keep each other abreast of pro-Paul events, alternative news stories about topics near to their hearts (end the Federal Reserve, gold as currency, the end of the foreign conflicts, and the Tenth Amendment, for example) and a flurry of tweets expressing dismay and confusion as to why the son of their hero would abandon the cause and sign on to serve in the campaign of a man they consider little better than the current occupant of the White House.

As I said earlier, it may be the prospect of a place in the White House that compelled Senator Paul to make his announcement Thursday night.

In a statement released following Senator Paul’s appearance on the Hannity Show, Mitt Romney expressed gratitude for his support:

Senator Paul has been a leading voice in the effort to scale back the size and reach of government and promote liberty. I am grateful for Senator Paul’s support and look forward to working with him to get America back on the right track.

The problem that has plagued Mitt Romney’s campaign since the beginning has been his inability to attract the support of those on the right wing of the Republican Party. Perhaps the former Massachusetts Governor is hopeful that Rand Paul’s seal of approval will convince the more conservative bloc to vote for the party’s “presumptive nominee,” albeit with some trepidation.

Another possible scenario and that is that those libertarian-minded voters who are only nominally Republican will abandon the Pauls altogether and side with a third-party candidate such as Governor Gary Johnson, who is running as the Libertarian Party candidate for President.

It seems unlikely that a politician as savvy as Rand Paul, raised by one of this generation’s most consistently constitutional statesmen, would ever take the loyalty of voters for granted. Surely Senator Paul realizes that the millions of Americans who considered his father the last great hope for the restoration of our Republic to its constitutional foundation are, at the end of the day, not soldiers in the Ron Paul Battalion, but are in fact an army in the cause of liberty and the Constitution. They have learned through decades of sad experience, that most politicians will disappoint them, but the principles of freedom are timeless and steadfast.

With Rand Paul’s Romney endorsement settled, the question that lingers is whether his father will follow suit.

Given Ron Paul’s history of withholding endorsements even to those with whom he has much in common with regard to policy and political philosophy, it is unlikely that Ron Paul will explicitly endorse Mitt Romney.

Of course, before Thursday night, there were millions of politically active Americans who would have bet the farm that Rand Paul never would have signed on to help Mitt Romney get elected President.

During his interview with Sean Hannity Thursday night, Rand Paul recounted a 30-minute meeting he had with Governor Romney in Washington, D.C. recently. During this meeting, Paul reports, he and Romney discussed many issues important to himself and his father.

The first issue mentioned by Senator Paul was the audit of the Federal Reserve. Saying that he and his father believe that there should be more transparency and more congressional oversight of the unconstitutional central bank, Paul went on to say that “this [the audit of the Fed] is something Governor Romney was supportive of throughout his campaign.”

Senator Paul is full of surprises. Those loyal to his father and to the cause of auditing or abolishing the Federal Reserve know that not only has Mitt Romney not supported this critical plank of the constitutional platform, but in fact he has explicitly spoken out against it.

“I think Ben Bernanke [the chairman of the Federal Reserve] is a student of monetary policy; he’s doing as good a job as he thinks he can do. I’m not going to spend my time going after Ben Bernanke. I’m not going to spend my time focusing on the Federal Reserve,” Romney has observed.

Finally, Senator Paul told Hannity that he believes that with Mitt Romney there is “a lot of kinship on those issues” that are important to Ron Paul and his “legion of young supporters.”

However, there is no evidence that Romney shares the Paul stance on the Federal Reserve (not surprising, given the money Romney has received from Goldman Sachs) and certainly not when it comes to ending the illegal foreign wars and bringing our troops home.

With regard to kinship, it seems that with his endorsement of Mitt Romney (a man whose public pronouncement places himself far from the Constitutional center) many believe that Rand Paul has sold his birthright for a mess of partisan pottage.

As to whether Senator Paul's endorsement constitutes a philosophical shift on his part, or on Romney's, or is just an exercise in political pragmatism based on his desire to stop Obama at any cost — or to further his vice presidential aspirations this year or presidential aspirations in the future — only time will tell.

Photo: Sen. Paul at a rally in Erlanger, Kentucky, on October 2, 2010, along with his father, Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, and his son, William Paul

Last edited by kathyet; 06-09-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Jack Hunter Defended Rand Paul Today on The Jerry Doyle Show

Submitted by Truthiness on Fri, 06/08/2012 - 16:37
    Ron Paul 2012

Worth listening to. Don't know if I agree but here's what he had to say on the show. I think Jerry asked Jack some very good questions....

Jack Hunter Defended Rand Paul Today on The Jerry Doyle Show | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Ron Paul 2012

We Win In Our AR District!

Submitted by Crickett on Sat, 06/09/2012 - 14:36
    Ron Paul 2012

..No fanfare..no hoopla..we had 3 delegates and three alternates to send to National, in our district.

We got ALL 6. We quietly just ruled the room. It was great, and guess what? I am one of them!!!!

The Romney "slate" was virtually ignored. Now I need money BIG time. As you know I lost my business and home, and so far am unemployed, so I need some of you to step up and help me get to National. I am an alternate delegate but they want us all there. I still have a chance to move up to actual delegate, as 21 more are being voted on in a couple of weeks--but either way, I am GOING, and I need your paypal or mail in money. Please write to me if you can help and I will send you my address. They say the hotel with tax and all is $300/night. Am sure hoping to share, but am pretty sure I will need close to $3000. Help if you can. I have 2 months to raise the money. Thanks in advance.

http://www.dailypaul.com/239006/we-w...ur-ar-district

Go to the National Convention - Vote for Dr. Ron Paul

Submitted by 4Constitution on Sat, 06/09/2012 - 14:23
    Ron Paul 2012

The choice is simple:

a) Do not sign anything
    b) Attend the National Convention as a delegate
    c) Vote for Ron Paul

Why?

Are you going to have any other opportunity to do this?

Will you walk away with regrets if you don't?

Go to the National Convention - Vote for Dr. Ron Paul | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Ron Paul 2012

Here's a recap of what went down at the ILLINOIS state convention

Submitted by sovereignjanice on Sat, 06/09/2012 - 16:19
    Daily Paul Liberty Forum
    Illinois

The IL state convention is happening as we speak (June 8-9). Talking to my son who is an alternate delegate he had the following to say.

"There were a few bumps, and it wasn't surprising the those bumps happened to mostly if not all Ron Paul people. However, solving them was easier than anticipated. There's still tomorrow, but if things go like they did today, then all we need are the numbers. People were registering as guests and writing checks to pay for their fee at the table. That should still apply for tomorrow. I can't give away strategy, but probably the most important thing you can do is know who your chairman is. Do a google search, find their name and then do a google image search and find a picture of them. If you know what they look like then you can track them down. That is KEY. Most chairmen I've seen have a name tag with their county on it, and some delegates have this tag as well. I got my tag from my chairman and anyone with a tag of your county name on it is a good person to ask if you need to find your chairman.

Overall I'm very pleased to report that relations between the two "factions" has so far been better than the best case scenario. There's still the big test which is tomorrow, but day 1 is a B+ to a A-."

UPDATE 10:26PM

My son was nice enough to visit me after the convention. I don't know if anyone who was there is reading this, but you must have seen him. He had to be all over the place. He took off his shoes and socks and his ankles were soooo swollen. He said he did his best to help the guests that were there become delegates, but their chairman is a nazi. He was on his feet nearly the whole time from 9am-9pm and by the looks of him that's no exaggeration.

As nice as the Romney people were in the beginning, it seems to be because they had dirty handed tricks up their sleeves all along. He says there's one more thing that can possibly be done, but it all depends on how many people show up and those who do, how positive they can be to their chairman. My son never gave up for 12 straight hours and tomorrow will be no different.

Last update June 9th 4:17pm

From my son: "Just got back from the convention. We lost. No motions could be made by the floor AT ALL. It was all decided and voted for by the committee the day before. The nays from the floor were quite loud, but the chair ruled in favor of the Yays.

The only way ANYTHING could be heard from the floor is by getting 50 delegations (chairmen) to put their signatures to the motion. Earlier the higher ups told the chairmen NOT TO SIGN ANYTHING. I'm sure it was in anticipation of us trying to get 50 signatures because we tried to put a motion on the floor. All we wanted was the same percentage of delegates based on the percent of popular vote Paul got in the Primary this year (6 delegates). Just a drop in the barrel really. We couldn't get the 50. We only could get 41, but remember that's 41 chairmen that are going to be questioned why they sided with the Paul people and not their own central committee. So they showed some balls there.

We were up against Goliath though. IL is solid Romney. I think there's only 1 or 2 counties where Romney didn't sweep the CD delegates during the Primary. We tried very hard at the convention, but we there were too many zombies. In '08 we had around 43-45 delegates which represented 6% of the total delegation. This year we had, I think, 225 delegates which represented 18%. In this year's Primary, the Diebold machines gave us 9% of the popular.

My county chairwoman didn't even show to the convention and she was the only one to upgrade me from alternate to delegate (along with 3 other from my county) I tried EVERYTHING. I went to every table, asked every person what to do. I called her personal cell phone and left messages 3 times. I was told she didn't appoint a proxy either. I kept asking questions as the deadline to be upgraded was coming up fast. I got someone at the registration desk to come with me to the in-progress credentials committee meeting. With stares of "what the hell is this guy doing", I announce that I was very sorry to interrupt like this but my chairwoman hasn't shown, she didn't appoint a proxy and the deadline to be upgraded is coming up. I was told I was "out of order" but they would talk to me later.

I can't remember the guy's name, he was one of the speakers too I believe, but I apologized to him about barging in like that, but I had no other option. I explained to him the situation and he said there's nothing he can do. Deflated, I tried to be diplomatic and told him how sorry I was (and I honestly was) that I kinda just barged in to the meeting and that it was only because there was a deadline and I had done everything possible to go through the process. I just wanted my voice to be heard after every thing I went through and meant no disrespect. His facial expressions and body language confirmed the truth when he said not to worry about it and that he understood.

Turns out that my chairwoman DID have a proxy. At this point I'm trying to keep my voice down because I've really had enough from these people. He said there was nothing to be done, but I didn't let it go. Knowing that he couldn't just brush me off, he started to think about what he could do. It turns out all that was needed was for him to go to the registration table and fill out a form. OMG I was ready to bang my head against something. I took advantage of this and made sure the 3 other people in my county were promoted from alternate to delegate also.

My county heads are Romney people, but they were willing to work with me, and in the end that's all I really wanted when I went to the convention. Well, I wanted a win, but I guess then you could say all I really required from the people in charge was to let my voice be heard. If I vote for something and lose, I'll try again. If I don't even get a chance to vote because of some kind of prejudice, then I'll get pissed.

So in the end, we lost and I'm pissed about that, but; we had a little more than 5 times as many delegates as we did in '08, we showed that someone CAN show up as a guest during the actual convention and be appointed as a delegate or alternate right then and there, we learned the importance of going to a convention and being stealth, I took a picture of mom's candidate comparison sheets (I won't go into who may have done all the work on those because I'll never hear the end of it) that were at the Ron Paul table. It's just cool to see someone's work actually being put to use. No cops were called, and we learned a lot. Not the conclusion I wanted at all, but if I don't concentrate on the things that did work then I just paid $50 and worked my ass off for 2 days just to shout "no" once.

Epilogue: If anyone wants to keep in touch with him (I know he forgot to get the contact info from the others in his county before he left and there was at least one guy who was trying to be come a precinct head from what he told me) just go to my profile and use the contact tab. Everything sent from there goes just to him mostly anyway. He's always willing to help a liberty friend and he's pretty dedicated, but I think you would already know that by now.

â™* Here's a recap of what went down at the ILLINOIS state convention | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Ron Paul 2012

Washington Post says many of us will "Follow Rand's wishes." Ha Ha. Will you?

Submitted by tonym on Fri, 06/08/2012 - 11:59Ron Paul 2012

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/what-rand-p...

"Does Rand Paul endorsing Romney mean that the Paul acolytes will immediately cease and desist in their efforts to have their views heard? No. But more so than most people who support a politician, the Paul folks listen to Ron/Rand and follow their wishes.

Rand’s endorsement then — when coupled with Ron’s email to supporters earlier this week urging politeness at the national convention — are a net win for Romney because they virtually ensure that there won’t be a genuine insurrection led by supporters of Paul at the convention. (Expect Romney to give Rand/Ron speaking slots at the convention too in hopes of throwing a sop to the Paul acolytes and push the theme of inclusion and big-tented-ness.)"

Personally I'm most excited about Tampa. Notice, for some mysterious reason, our man has not outright dropped out. But anyway, a Romney win would cement eight more years of corruption. Obama just four. No brainer. Never supporting Mittens. I might even vote Obama in that case.

Washington Post says many of us will "Follow Rand's wishes." Ha Ha. Will you? | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Ron Paul 2012

NOT A CHANCE IN HELL ... don't get confused on this one ... NOT A CHANCE IN HELL
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 06-09-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Ron Paul 2012's Last Hope. Are You In Or Are You Out?

Submitted by ryanwin on Sun, 06/03/2012 - 14:46
    Delegates

"I can accept failure but I can't accept not trying." -Michael Jordan

Why No Delegate Info Bomb? Reason With Them!

Unless everyone here feels like throwing in the towel we only have one choice left. We have to try and sway the other delegates. There's such a low number of delegates compared to the number of voters that we could really go all out with something like this. We know how awesome Ron's platform really is. We also know that a majority of non supporters know of Ron's positions from listening to the media's disinformation and distortions. This effort would be to correct that. It's the last hurrah and I believe we could really change a lot of delegates minds by opening their eyes to what we've seen. I don't know what would be a more productive use of our time/energy at the moment.

--What to possibly include--
    **A sincere letter from Tom Woods to act as a buffer to the info we'd be providing.
    **SuperBrochures
    **Books - The Revolution, End The Fed, and Economics In One Lesson
    **DVD's - Anything credible without factual errors that can be used to discredit the larger message of the film. Classic Ron Paul videos.
    **All other ideas welcome. Let 'er rip!

----We also need the right SuperPAC to undertake this project. Let's come up with a list and contact them en masse.

Ron Paul 2012's Last Hope. Are You In Or Are You Out? | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Ron Paul 2012