Page 680 of 740 FirstFirst ... 180580630670676677678679680681682683684690730 ... LastLast
Results 6,791 to 6,800 of 7393
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Ron Paul on the Issues

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Rudy Giuliani says Ron Paul is a "Kook" and is “not happy" with his supporters

Submitted by stu2002 on Thu, 08/30/2012 - 12:58
    Ron Paul 2012

In an interview with Beast TV, the video arm of The Daily Beast/Newsweek empire, Giuliani described the 77-year-old doctor as “a kook” and a “cranky old man,” according to a report by Daily Beast DC bureau chief Howard Kurtz.

Kurtz said Giuliani is “not happy with Ron Paul” and he is “not happy with his supporters for making a fuss here at the convention.”

http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election/2012/08/29/rudy-giulian...

Rudy Giuliani says Ron Paul is a "Kook" and is

Rudy Giuliani the Cross Dresser is calling Ron Paul a Kook

Rudy Giuliani in a dress: Will voters care?

Giuliani in a dress: Will voters care? - politics - Decision '08 - Rudy Giuliani News - NBCNews.com

» Cross Dresser Giuliani Questions Foot-in-the-mouth Biden’s Mental Capacity Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Jeffrey Feldman: Giuliani the Transvestite

Giuliani's cross-dressing antics back in spotlight

Rudy Giuliani a Cross-Dressing Drag Queen?

Rudy Giuliani's love for OxyContin , Crossdressing , 9/11 | NowPublic News Coverage

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I Just Switched Party Affiliation

Submitted by BillinDC on Thu, 08/30/2012 - 13:25
    Daily Paul Liberty Forum

From Republican to Libertarian. Yesterday's RNC actions have calcified it for me.

I Just Switched Party Affiliation | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Revolution

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Romney Party Yacht ‘Cracker Bay’ Flies Cayman Islands Flag in Tampa

Submitted by celeste on Thu, 08/30/2012 - 12:59
    Daily Paul Liberty Forum

Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s campaign on Wednesday partied with wealthy donors on a 150-foot yacht that flies the flag of the Cayman Islands, according to an ABC News report.

Members of the Romney Victory Council, who have each raised more than $1 million for the candidate, mingled with Romney’s brother, Scott, and other relatives in Tampa aboard the luxury yacht “Cracker Bay.”

While they waited outside the unadvertised event, ABC News snapped photos of the Cayman Islands civil ensign flag flying on the yacht’s stern.

Gov. Bob McDonnell (R-VA) was reportedly scheduled to speak to the more than 50 people attending.

“It was a really nice event,” billionaire energy industry executive Wilbur Ross told the network. “These are good supporters.”

Romney came under fire earlier this year when it was revealed that he had millions stashed in the Cayman Islands, a notorious tax haven. In August, Vanity Fair reported that Romney still had a personal stake in at least 12 of Bain Capital’s Cayman Island funds, worth up to $30 million.
    The candidate recently insisted to Fox News host Chris Wallace that “there was no reduction — not one dollar reduction — in taxes by virtue of having an account in Switzerland or a Cayman Islands investment.”

“I think it’s ironic they do this aboard a yacht that doesn’t even pay its taxes,” a woman who lives at the marina where Cracker Bay is moored told ABC News.

Romney Party Yacht ‘Cracker Bay’ Flies Cayman Islands Flag in Tampa -pic

Romney Party Yacht

Paul Ryan - USA not Doing Its Part in the World - Prepare for More Wars

Submitted by honorRP on Thu, 08/30/2012 - 07:59
    Daily Paul Liberty Forum

We might question if Romney or Obama are about to hand over American sovereignty to NATO, and we might expect the Draft to soon follow.

Clearly Ryan-Romney plan to continue following the Empire building AGENDA.

Ryan: Obama has left our allies to doubt us

By HILARY LEILA KRIEGER, JPOST CORRESPONDENT 08/30/2012 07:00
    Paul Ryan accepts Republican VP nomination at convention, slams Obama for damaging US's relationships with allies.

Ryan: Obama has left ou... JPost - 2012: The US Presidential race

"Paul Ryan pledged that a Romney-Ryan administration would "speak with confidence and clarity" in its dealings with the world, and "act in the conviction that the United States is still the greatest force for peace and liberty that this world has ever known."

In stressing that "wherever men and women rise up for their own freedom, they will know that the American president is on their side," he obliquely criticized Obama for not taking a more aggressive stance on behalf of civilians who have rebelled against Middle East unelected leaders. (that would be US-NATO funded rebels and installation of a puppet government NATO can control)

John McCain, the Republican presidential nominee in 2008, more explicitly attacked Obama for not doing more to help Iranians rising up against their leaders in 2009 "The president missed a historic opportunity to put his full support behind an Iranian revolution," he charged in his speech earlier in the evening."

Paul Ryan - USA not Doing Its Part in the World - Prepare for More Wars | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Revolution

Rick Santorum to Paul supporters: a vote against Romney is a vote for Obama

Submitted by Gordon Le on Wed, 08/29/2012 - 16:20
    Ron Paul 2012

TAMPA, Fla. -- Rick Santorum offered a message to the Ron Paul supporters who protested on the convention floor: A vote against Mitt Romney is a vote for President Barack Obama.

Speaking with reporters at a Citizens United event in Tampa on Wednesday, Santorum told The Huffington Post he is not concerned about how the mayhem created by Paul delegates at the convention might impact Romney's chances in defeating Obama come November.

"Ron Paul was a Republican congressman -- even though Ron would tell you he's a libertarian at heart -- and the Republican Party is closer to where [Paul's delegates] want to take this country than certainly Barack Obama," Santorum, a former Republican presidential candidate, said.

"And they can vote for somebody else," he continued. "But if they do -- a vote for somebody else is, in my opinion, a vote for Barack Obama."

Off HuffPost's live blog: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/29/republican-conventi...
    -----
    It's clear that this Republican Party is set to blame Ron Paul and his supporters for a GOP loss in November.

Do we need to remind Santorum that he brought up the Etch-a-Sketch joke?:

"If they're going to be a little different, we might as well stay with what we have instead of taking a risk of what may be the Etch A Sketch candidate for the future."

Rick Santorum to Paul supporters: a vote against Romney is a vote for Obama | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Revolution

I'm Afraid We Are Wrong - USIP Party?

Submitted by gsneil on Thu, 08/30/2012 - 11:31
    Politics, General + Law(s)

Some of us have had a hope that we could work from within the Republican party to take over. But upon reflection, after all we have witnessed in this cycle, I'm afraid we might be wrong.

Yes, there are more liberty folks in the republican machine than ever before. But as demonstrated this year, it is not enough. Even the more fair-minded "establishment" GOP leaders were cut down in the latest kerfuffles (e.g. Morton Blackwell). Now the rule changes that will effectively truncate our progress and momentum for liberty operatives in the GOP. It struck me as entirely wrong that we liberty folks had to "be quiet" and "sneak around" and "play cards close to the chest." It felt stupid, dishonest and undemocratic. Besides, it's a gross waste of productive energy.

It occurs to me that the elite GOP criminals are already recruiting, training and positioning "faux libertarians" to offset and counter the efforts of true liberty patriots on the local and state levels. They know it is our strategy to take the party from within. No doubt they are going to actively use their own to pose as one of us ... and we will be years and years chasing majority in the party. I have grave doubts it will work for us to pursue control in the GOP.

On the other hand -- while the passion and unity of libertarians is high -- We could make a powerful move together to a third party and openly challenge the old two-party system for the hearts and minds of Americans.

Could we establish a USIP party? This is a parallel of the UKIP idea in Britain (United Kingdom Independent Party). USIP would be United States Independent Party. And we could stop wasting time "slipping around in the GOP" machine and productively and openly work together, unapologetically. So much more could be accomplished with the weights off.

Now would be the time for us to strike the iron. I do not think I can work within the GOP anymore, sadly. It seems a noble strategy, but one destined to fail. For the sake of the country, I suggest all of you seriously consider this idea.

And no - I'm afraid Johnson is just too different from Ron for me to grant him my vote. I will be writing in Ron Paul. This is the only thing of integrity I can do with my vote this year.

But I could totally plant my feet and mind into a new party effort for the work that needs to be done between now and 2016.

I'm Afraid We Are Wrong - USIP Party? | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Revolution

From Immokalee to Nevada to the RNC: An outspoken, unhappy delegate

Submitted by JackTanner on Thu, 08/30/2012 - 13:49
    Daily Paul Liberty Forum
    Nevada

Wiselet Rouzard, the son of Haitian-American parents, grew up in Immokalee, played on the Immokalee (Florida) High 2004 state championship football team, graduated in the top 10 of his class and won a scholarship to the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

http://www.news-press.com/article/20120830/NEWS0107/30830004...

Today, he is an outspoken and bitter Nevada delegate at the Republican National Convention.

“There’s nothing American about what just happened,” he said. “This is the death of the Republican Party. Future generations will be ashamed of what they did today. The only way we can win this battle now is to infiltrate the party.

We’re not going away. Not one bit.”

From Immokalee to Nevada to the RNC: An outspoken, unhappy delegate | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Revolution

Thursday, 30 August 201210:25

Ron Paul Family Detained by TSA Again

Written by Raven Clabough

For the second time this year, the Paul family has been harassed by the Transportation Security Administration. Rep. Ron Paul, his wife, and granddaughter were stopped by eight TSA workers at a small airport in Clearwater, Florida, and told they must be screened. According to the agents, the screening was necessary because Mitt Romney "might be nearby."

Observers say the implication was that the Paul family poses a threat to the Republican presidential nominee, Mitt Romney.

The agents inspected Paul’s credentials and demanded to check the airplane for explosives.

The entire incident came to an end once Ron Paul’s wife, Carol, refused to be screened by TSA personnel, asserting that she wore a pacemaker, and a Paul aide began taking video of the ordeal on his cell phone.

Analysts contend that the TSA interaction is yet another example of the establishment’s efforts to sabotage Paul.

Earlier this year, Ron Paul’s son, Rand, was detained by the TSA in Nashville, causing him to miss his appearance at the March for Life rally in Washington, D.C.

According to Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.), an “anomaly” on his knee was detected by the full body scanner, though he does not have any metal in his knees. When Paul asked for a second scan, the TSA insisted that he must be subjected to a pat-down by airport security. Paul refused the pat-down on the grounds that it was a violation of his rights and his “private property.” In response to his stand, Paul was detained in a tiny cubicle, causing him to miss his flight to Washington, where he was to attend a Senate session and speak at the March for Life.

Paul also said that the incident highlights how the TSA should not be “spending so much time with people who wouldn’t attack us.”

Rand Paul stated that although he did not expect to be treated differently because he is a senator, the TSA should be treating everyone “with dignity.”

Following that incident, Senator Paul issued a press release in which he swore to “end the TSA.”

“The American people shouldn’t be subjected to harassment, groping, and other public humiliation simply to board an airplane. As you may have heard, I have some personal experience with this, and I’ve vowed to lead the charge to fight back,” he stated. “It’s time to end the TSA and get the government’s hands back to only stealing our wallets instead of groping toddlers and grandmothers,” said Paul in the statement.

Senator Paul’s father, Ron, issued a harsh response to the TSA’s detainment of his son.

“The police state in this country is growing out of control,” Rep. Paul wrote in a statement provided to the Daily Caller. “One of the ultimate embodiments of this is the TSA that gropes and grabs our kids and our seniors and does nothing to keep us safe.”

In 2010, Ron Paul endured a similar incident with the TSA, ironically prompted by actual metal in his knees that was detected by the scanners.

The elder Dr. Paul recalled his encounter with the TSA on the Alex Jones show. He explained that he has had to endure TSA abuse a number of times throughout his tenure as Texas congressman, including the latest “enhanced pat-down” that verges on sexual molestation. “I have to go through that all the time because I have metal in my knees,” he explained. “I get prodded all the time and it is disgusting and I tell them so.”

Like Rand, Ron Paul’s constant encounters with the TSA have encouraged his endeavors to eliminate the Transportation Security Administration.
    “I am going to be doing everything conceivable to try to change these rules because they are not making us safer, they aren’t better for us — it’s just to enhance the power of the state.”

Both Senator Paul and Representative Paul have been vocal opponents of the Transportation Security Administration, and have proposed several bills targeting the agency.

Representative Paul sponsored the American Traveler Dignity Act, which would remove TSA agents’ immunity from prosecution for conducting invasive pat-downs.

Likewise, Senator Rand Paul recently submitted a set of bills that would ultimately eliminate the Transportation Security Administration, establish a passenger bill of rights, and require that the program be turned over to private screeners.

S. 3302 establishes a formal “Bill of Rights” for passengers by providing guidelines for screening procedures and protections for travelers. Politico explains that the bill would “permit travelers to opt out of pat-downs and be re-screened, allow them to call a lawyer when detained, increase the role of dogs in explosive detection, let passengers ‘appropriately object to mistreatment,’ allow children 12 years old and younger to avoid ‘unnecessary pat-downs’ and require the distribution of the new rights at airports.”

S. 3303 ends the TSA screening program completely and requires passengers to be screened by private screeners only. It reads, “Screening of passengers shall be conducted by employees of a private screening company under a contract entered into.” The bill sets standards for how airports may select the private security screening companies, and permits the airports to have the final say in employment and termination of private screening security companies. It even includes provisions for Right to Work.

Both bills have not yet moved out of the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation.

A money bomb for Ron Paul’s presidential campaign themed at ending the TSA helped raise over a million dollars, indicating that many of the American people oppose the intrusive behavior of the agency.

Ron Paul Family Detained by TSA Again

Thursday, 30 August 201211:00

Republican Convention Rules Changes: How the Establishment Stole the GOP

Written by Joe Wolverton, II

On August 28 the Republican National Committee (RNC) allowed representatives of the Mitt Romney campaign to seize control of the Republican Party. As The New American has reported, Ron Paul delegates from Maine were improperly denied credentials, robbing Paul of a majority of that state’s delegation. One disgusted Maine delegate described this decision as a “huge slap in the face.”

That slap hit more than just Maine. Maine’s Ron Paul delegates were roughly shoved out of the Republican Party’s quadrennial convention, and as a result of events surrounding the proposal and adoption of new rules to govern the presidential nomination process, every potential Republican presidential candidate with a message that doesn’t parrot the party line has been effectively ostracized. Forever.

The story of how a very small cabal of monied Republican activists carried out their coup d’etat has been chronicled in every major news outlet August 28 and 29.

The New York Times reported, “Over loud boos Romney supporters pass new rules.”

The Washington Post wrote, “Amidst a contentious scene on the floor of the convention, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) ruled that the committee rules had passed by a voice vote — despite loud protest from many in the arena.”

The Los Angeles Times reported “the RNC laid the groundwork to change its rules in a maneuver that would effectively make it harder for a Paul-type candidate in future elections.”

In order to make the nomination of Mitt Romney a fait accompli and to ensure that only those in his mold would ever carry the banner of the GOP, the RNC sacrificed adherence to its own rules on the altar of obedience to the Establishment.

In an exclusive conversation with The New American August 29, a longtime Republican activist recounted a tale that is at once incredible and unconscionable.

Richard Engle has served the Republican Party in Oklahoma diligently since 1988. His role in moving the Sooner State to the political right cannot be overstated. He has represented Oklahoma in the Republican National Committee and has sat on the RNC’s standing committee on rules.

Engle is intimately familiar with the proper Republican rules-making process — he has participated in it — and he recognizes how that process was hijacked by members of the Romney inner circle at the meeting of the Convention Rules Committee.

Before rules are considered by the Republican Convention Rules Committee, they percolate up from proposals made by the state delegates of the Standing Rules Committee. This group of dedicated Republican officials meets three times a year to discuss suggested changes and prepare a draft of new rules to be considered by the Convention Rules Committee that meets every four years.

Unlike the RNC’s Standing Rules Committee, the Republican National Convention Rules Committee (“Convention Rules Committee” for short) meets only once every four years and is composed of two delegates from each state (one man and one woman). These people are "good Republicans" and are unquestionably well-intentioned, but they have little or no experience with the party’s rule-making procedures. This body is an ad hoc committee brought together for the sole purpose of receiving and reviewing the rule changes proposed by the standing committee.

As the Convention Rules Committee met August 28, the Romney campaign lawyer, Ben Ginsberg, showed up and in the words of Engle, “insisted that there be significant and dramatic” changes to the party’s rules governing the binding of delegates and the way rules are to be revised in the future.

According to the revised Rule 15 (to be renumbered as Rule 16 in the new rule book) as proposed by Ginsberg, every state must amend its nominating process to ensure that their delegations are bound to vote in accordance with the winner of the popular vote as cast at state caucuses or primaries.
    Ginsberg’s version of Rule 12 empowers the RNC to bend its own rules to suit their needs at any time without submitting the changes to party members gathered at the quadrennial convention. This unprecedented revision places the control of the GOP in the hands of the Establishment candidate without suffering the inconvenience of listening to dissenting voices.

As Engle reckons, in the future the nomination of an incumbent Republican president is guaranteed and upon leaving office, he will be able to name his chosen successor.

When it comes to all this “radical” rewriting, Engle admits
    that he doesn’t know whether Ginsberg acted on his own or on behalf of Governor Romney. He does know, however, that the sweeping revisions of Rules 12 and 15 (now 16) “changed the nature of the Republican Party and returned it to the smoke-filled rooms of the past.”

So drastic were the revisions that Engle compared the convention to the Soviet Politburo, a sham with no more legitimate power than to rubber stamp their leaders’ directives.

To their credit, Engle relates that upon hearing Ginsberg’s suggested rules changes the delegates on the Convention Rules Committee “of every stripe” reacted negatively. All of them realized that if the changes were adopted by the RNC, the populist influence would be eliminated and all non-Establishment voices within the Republican Party would be silenced. Engle worries that the rules package proposed by Ginsberg would have the effect of putting “a certain type of party member in charge of the GOP.”

Evidence of the delegates’ displeasure is found in the attempted filing of a Minority Report. According to Rule 34 of the Republican Party rules in effect at the August 28 meeting:

No resolution or amendment pertaining to the report of the Committee on Resolutions or the Committee on Rules and Order of Business shall be reported out or made a part of any report of such committee or otherwise read or debated before the convention, unless the same shall have been submitted to the chairman, vice chairman, or secretary of such committee or to the secretary of the convention in writing not later than one hour after the time at which such committee votes on its report to the convention and shall have been accompanied by a petition evidencing the affirmative written support of a minimum of twenty-five percent (25%) of the membership of such committee.

The Minority Report opposing the Romney lawyer’s rule changes was signed, sealed, but was never delivered. Curiously, the delegate in possession of the Minority Report was riding a bus denied entry to the Tampa Bay Times Forum.

Virginia delegate Chris Stearns was on the bus blocked from stopping at the Convention. “They're keeping us all on a bus and not allowing us in the security perimeter,” Stearns posted on his Facebook page.

Without a timely filed Minority Report, Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio) proceeded to call for a vote on Ginsberg’s rewrite of the Republican rulebook.

Standing at the podium and reading from a teleprompter, Boehner instructed those in favor of the rules to say “aye” and those opposed to say “nay.”

According to Engle, who was on the floor at the time, “my hearing thought the ‘nays’ had it.” He admits the vote might have been close and as such Boehner should have called for a roll call vote rather than a voice vote. In another example of unexplained deviation from applicable Republican Party protocol, Boehner ignored the dissenting delegates and announced, “The ‘ayes’ have it.”

Whether it was the will of Mitt Romney or the independent work of one of his key counselors, Engle fears that the new rules governing the Republican Party’s method of selecting a presidential candidate nailed closed the coffin of the GOP. This week observers may be witnessing “the last Republican National Convention as we know it,” he added.

A small coterie of Establishment Republicans have wrested control of the GOP and formed the mold into which any Republican wanting to run for president from now on must fit.

Republican Convention Rules Changes: How the Establishment Stole the GOP

Wednesday, 29 August 2012 23:00

National Review to GOP: "Mistake" to Honor Ron Paul at Convention

Written by Joe Wolverton, II

William F. Buckley, Jr. passed away more than four years ago, but the organization he founded is carrying on his attacks on The John Birch Society.

Buckley founded National Review in 1955, and in an article published August 28 by National Review Online, Ron Paul, Pat Buchanan, Robert Welch, and The John Birch Society (JBS) were all pilloried for their commitment to the cause of traditional conservatism.

The authors, Jamie M. Fly and Evan Moore, argue that the Republican Party made a “mistake in honoring” Ron Paul at the Republican National Convention being held in Tampa this week.

In lieu of letting Ron Paul speak to the delegates, the Republican National Committee (RNC) chose to produce its own “video tribute” to the Texas congressman and leader of the liberty movement.

Given the RNC’s shameless rigging of the presidential nomination process through the violation of its own rules, it is little wonder that they couldn’t afford to let Paul address party members.

In fairness, convention planners (read: Mitt Romney) offered Dr. Paul a spot on the schedule if he would allow Romney’s people to approve his speech and if he would endorse Romney without reservation. Paul refused to accept these conditions.

What Paul endorses are the principles he has consistently supported over his long political career, and he was unwilling to compromise those principles in order to gain a speaking slot at the convention.

Furthermore, given the tone of the convention and its conversion into a coronation of Mitt Romney, anything Dr. Paul would say from the podium would likely be the casting of pearls before swine.

As for NRO’s attacks on The John Birch Society and its founder Robert Welch, this latest NRO article is nothing new.

In an email to The New American, JBS CEO Art Thompson recounts the decades long effort by National Review and Buckley to damage The John Birch Society and anyone who dares challenge the Establishment. Thompson writes, "The recent article attacking Ron Paul posted online by the National Review Online is the latest chapter in an ongoing saga that NR has waged against anyone who is not a neo-conservative."

Thompson recalls how in the October 19, 1965 issue of National Review, Buckley published a “vicious attack against everything The John Birch Society stood for” prompting Thompson to cancel his subscription to the ersatz chronicle of conservatism.

The John Birch Society's President John F. McManus (who is also publisher of The New American, a JBS affiliate) agrees with Thompson and says that “the JBS never had a worse enemy than Buckley.”

McManus says that Buckley’s sniping and labeling of Robert Welch as a kook kept many good conservatives from taking a serious look at The John Birch Society.

The more things change...

In their article Fly and Moore continue waging National Review’s war against all anti-Establishment voices, describing them as “far outside the mainstream” of the Republican Party.

The accusation of extremism, however, fails to take into account the millions of Americans who voted for Ron Paul in the primaries and caucuses, not to mention the thousands nationwide who belong to The John Birch Society and voluntarily contribute time and money to the furtherance of its educational mission.

Since its inception the goal of The John Birch Society has been to improve the world by reinforcing constitutional limits on government and encouraging everyone to take personal responsibility for their actions.

On Sunday Dr. Paul made a similar appeal to the nearly 10,000 people gathered at the Sun Dome to hear him speak. “A free society provides an opportunity to seek virtue and excellence,” Paul proclaimed. He identified this as his personal goal and recommended it to all who love liberty.

At the conclusion of his remarks, Dr. Paul sounded the call of personal responsibility and liberty, predicting, “We are now moving into a new era. A new era where we’re going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead.”

These are hardly the words of a leader of a pack of “conspiracy-minded” fanatics.

It is likely these remarks, however, that prompted NRO to remind readers that Dr. Paul has refused to “disassociate himself from the Birch Society.”

Why would he want to? No matter how much the authors try to conflate the two, the JBS is not Ron Paul and Ron Paul is not the JBS. They do, however, share an interest in returning this Republic to its historic and constitutional foundations and restraining the government with the chains forged in Philadelphia in 1787.

For its part, NRO insists that the views of Ron Paul and his kind are “not reflective of our history and values.” Assuming they refer to the history and values of the Republican Party, perhaps they have a point. Men of Ron Paul’s and Robert Welch’s stature value principle over party and will never sacrifice faith to the former for the convenience of the latter.

If on the other hand the “our” in that statement refers to the United States of America then there is no position more faithful to traditional American values than that of strict adherence to the Constitution and the timeless principles of individual liberty and enumerated and separated powers it protects.

Despite the ad hominem attacks on Ron Paul, Robert Welch, and Pat Buchanan (I refer to the authors’ use of epithets such as “racist” and “anti-semite” to describe these men), most of the lines in their article are reserved for recriminating Paul’s foreign policy.

“In his floor remarks, the congressman echoed the worst rhetoric of the conspiracy-minded” when he dared oppose sanctions against Iran. NRO quotes Paul’s statement that the bill proposing the sanctions was “beating the war drums” and that the United States was “over there poking our nose ... in other people’s affairs, just looking for the chance to start another war.”

It is unlikely that the authors could beat those drums louder than by disparaging a man whose message of peace has not only attracted millions of young conservatives to his cause, but also reflects the tone of George Washington’s farewell address.

Therein, Washington used elegant language to advise against the beating of war drums:

The Nation, which indulges towards another an habitual hatred, or an habitual fondness, is in some degree a slave. It is a slave to its animosity or to its affection, either of which is sufficient to lead it astray from its duty and its interest. Antipathy in one nation against another disposes each more readily to offer insult and injury, to lay hold of slight causes of umbrage, and to be haughty and intractable, when accidental or trifling occasions of dispute occur. Hence frequent collisions, obstinate, envenomed, and bloody contests.

How many would deny that the chicken hawk neocons perpetually praised by the NRO, the now-defunct Project for the New American Century and its progeny, the Foreign Policy Initiative (of which both Fly and Moore are members) have promoted “habitual hatred” against Islam as an excuse for the commitment of American troops into “bloody contests” in the Middle East?

Fly and Moore deny it. In fact, they claim that Ron Paul’s “worldview is based on pure fiction.”

Are the more than 8,000 flag-draped coffins of American servicemen killed in Iraq and Afghanistan fictional? Are the physical and mental wounds suffered by thousands more of their comrades fictional? Is it fact or fiction that the governments of both of those nations are now in the hands of the very “extremists” that our military was deployed to overthrow?

It is journalistically lazy and intellectually dishonest to accuse Ron Paul, The John Birch Society, and like-minded conservatives of leaving “a trail of factual errors and conspiracy mongering” on these critical issues without providing readers with a single syllable of evidence.

Readers of National Review should demand that the authors of the NRO hit piece print specific examples of factually inaccurate and wildly theoretical statements made by Ron Paul.

Then again, perhaps the legion of conservatives who support Ron Paul should heed NRO’s suggestion and leave the Republican Party. John McManus recalls a time when some accused Robert Welch of stealing the GOP. "That is the first time I've ever been accused of petty larceny," Welch wittily responded.

If NRO’s article and the actions at the convention of the monied cabal now in control of the GOP do nothing else they demonstrate persuasively to friends of liberty that the Republican Party is no place for those advocating for peace, property, and personal responsibility.

National Review to GOP: "Mistake" to Honor Ron Paul at Convention
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 08-30-2012 at 02:42 PM.