Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

We really need more help from more folks here on the boards.

Come on team! Let's push!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This was just sent out by the bill sponsor Chris Romer in Colorado

The Facts About Tuition Equity - In-State Tuition for Colorado Students

Dear Friend,

I wanted to give you on update on my tuition equity bill because there is a lot of misinformation about what SB09-170 does for our state. First and foremost, SB09-170 will not cost the state a cent. All state funding has been removed from the bill and undocumented students would not qualify for state need based financial aid or the Colorado Opportunity Fund and will pay approximately $2,500 more than legal citizens. This means the bill will actually bring in additional dollars for our higher education system.

SB09-170 clears up in-state tuition laws for all students. Children who:

Attend a Colorado high school for at least 3 years.
    Graduate or acquire a GED from a Colorado high school.
    Enroll in a higher education institution within 12 months of graduation.
    Remain in good academic standing.
    Are competent in the English language upon graduation from high school.

would qualify for in-state tuition.

Additionally, legal residents of the United States can domicile themselves in Colorado for at least 1 year to qualify for in-state tuition. Undocumented students will not have this option.

It is estimated that about 200 to 400 undocumented students a year would qualify for SB09-170. University of Northern Colorado, Colorado Mountain College, and Mesa State College have all endorsed tuition equity because each of those schools has a very high percentage of in-state students.

Finally, these students will be required to sign an affidavit stating they will pursue citizenship upon graduation.

I have also heard many people argue the futility of educating illegal immigrants because legally, they cannot be hired by Colorado businesses. First of all, educating our residents is always beneficial to our society, regardless of employment status, and secondly, on the federal level, legislation will be introduced shortly that would remedy this concern. The DREAM Act, expected to be introduced in two weeks in Congress would grant conditional legal residency to these students, as long as they graduate from high school, are accepted by a college or the military, and stay out of trouble.

We are already funding undocumented students' K-12 education (as federal law mandates), and we will be wasting this initial investment if we do not provide an opportunity for these students to pursue higher education and ultimately give back to the state. Undocumented students are currently ten times less likely to attend college and realizing this futility, often drop out during high school. Tuition equity is by no means a free pass to college. Instead, all SB 170 does is permit this portion of Colorado's population to pay in-state tuition. These students will still have to apply and be accepted, so only qualified students will benefit from the bill's passage. SB 170 is a beneficial bill to the state of Colorado and all of its residents. That's why Republican businessmen such as Alex Cranberg and Dick Monfort support this legislation. Education officials, bussiness people, Republicans, and Democrats have all come together in favor of SB09-170 because it makes economic sense for Colorado. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope this helps you understand why I support tuition equity.

Respectfully, Chris Romer
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    I just got this back.

Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:16:24 +0000 (UTC)

To: "XXXXXXXX
    Subject: Re: I oppose instate tuition for illegal aliens

Dear XXXX

Thank you for contacting me, I value your opinion on this matter. I agree with you on this important issue and will be sure to vote no on SB09-170.

Thank you so much for your e-mail; I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Regards

Cindy Acree

Cindy Acree, Representative

Ok folks, these lawmakers are claiming that the in-state tuition rate for illegals would be of NO COST to the taxpayers of CO.

In every state I have been involved in, on this issue, the state taxpayers pay to reduce the costs for in state students.

Thus the special rate and that is why it is for people inside the state only.

These legislators are claiming that in state tuition rate for students requires no Colorado tax expenditures and WE NEED YOUR HELP TO FIND OUT IF THIS IS TRUE OR A LIE ASAP!

W

www.onlinenewspapers.com
    North America (USA only)
    USA (Only) Listed by State Listed Alphabetically _____________________
    Colorado Newspapers (CO)
    The Advocate (University of Colorado, Denver)
    Alamosa News (Alamosa)
    Alamosa Valley Courier (Alamosa)
    Arapahoe News (Arapahoe)
    Arvada News (Arvada)
    The Arvada Sentinel (Jefferson County)
    Aspen Daily News (Aspen)
    The Aspen Times
    Aurora News (Aurora)
    Aurora Sentinel (Aurora)
    Boulder County Business Report
    Boulder News (Boulder)
    Boulder Weekly (Boulder)
    Brighton News (Brighton)

This is just an example of the listings and you click on them it will take you to the webpage of all the newspapers. Though I haven't clicked on all of them.
    THIS IS A GREAT RESOURCE TO GET THE WORD OUT WHERE IT IS NEEDED. though I haven't figured out in what way to use it yet. make sure William sees this maybe he has an idea how best to use this info.
    This covers all states newspaper links from A-Z

April
    And now................a load of BS.

To: XXXXXXXX
    Subject: RE: I oppose instate tuition for illegal aliens
    Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 14:36:09 -0600

Dear Friend,
    I wanted to give you on update on my tuition equity bill because there is a lot of misinformation about what SB09-170 does for our state. First and foremost, SB09-170 will not cost the state a cent. All state funding has been removed from the bill and undocumented students would not qualify for state need based financial aid or the Colorado Opportunity Fund and will pay approximately $2,500 more than legal citizens. This means the bill will actually bring in additional dollars for our higher education system.

SB09-170 clears up in-state tuition laws for all students. Children who:

Attend a Colorado high school for at least 3 years.
    Graduate or acquire a GED from a Colorado high school.
    Enroll in a higher education institution within 12 months of graduation.
    Remain in good academic standing.
    Are competent in the English language upon graduation from high school.
    would qualify for in-state tuition.

Additionally, legal residents of the United States can domicile themselves in Colorado for at least 1 year to qualify for in-state tuition. Undocumented students will not have this option.

It is estimated that about 200 to 400 undocumented students a year would qualify for SB09-170. University of Northern Colorado, Colorado Mountain College, and Mesa State College have all endorsed tuition equity because each of those schools has a very high percentage of in-state students.

Finally, these students will be required to sign an affidavit stating they will pursue citizenship upon graduation.

I have also heard many people argue the futility of educating illegal immigrants because legally, they cannot be hired by Colorado businesses. First of all, educating our residents is always beneficial to our society, regardless of employment status, and secondly, on the federal level, legislation will be introduced shortly that would remedy this concern. The DREAM Act, expected to be introduced in two weeks in Congress would grant conditional legal residency to these students, as long as they graduate from high school, are accepted by a college or the military, and stay out of trouble.

We are already funding undocumented students’ K-12 education (as federal law mandates), and we will be wasting this initial investment if we do not provide an opportunity for these students to pursue higher education and ultimately give back to the state. Undocumented students are currently ten times less likely to attend college and realizing this futility, often drop out during high school. Tuition equity is by no means a free pass to college. Instead, all SB 170 does is permit this portion of Colorado’s population to pay in-state tuition. These students will still have to apply and be accepted, so only qualified students will benefit from the bill’s passage.

SB 170 is a beneficial bill to the state of Colorado and all of its residents. That's why Republican businessmen such as Alex Cranberg and Dick Monfort support this legislation. Education officials, bussiness people, Republicans, and Democrats have all come together in favor of SB09-170 because it makes economic sense for Colorado.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope this helps you understand why I support tuition equity.

Best wishes,

Randy Fischer, State Representative

House District 53

State Capitol, 200 E. Colfax Ave, Room 271

Denver, Colorado 80203

3007 Moore Lane

Fort Collins, Colorado 80526-2103

303-866-2917 (Capitol)

970-215-7898 (Cell)

E-Mail: RandyFischer@frii.com

www.RandyFischer.org

This was not nice.

Your message

To: Thompson, Robert
    Subject: No In-State Tuition for Illegal Aliens!
    Sent: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 14:54:25 -0500

was deleted without being read on Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:20:13 -0500

April
    Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    Ok folks, these lawmakers are claiming that the in-state tuition rate for illegals would be of NO COST to the taxpayers of CO.

In every state I have been involved in, on this issue, the state taxpayers pay to reduce the costs for in state students.

Thus the special rate and that is why it is for people inside the state only.

These legislators are claiming that in state tuition rate for students requires no Colorado tax expenditures and WE NEED YOUR HELP TO FIND OUT IF THIS IS TRUE OR A LIE ASAP!

W
    I posted articles on this under your red alert in Gen. Discussion.

I am working on Arkansas, as are others in the state. I will be following up in the morning and will post info as soon as I can.

April
    To:XXXXXX
    Subject: RE: I oppose instate tuition for illegal aliens
    Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 14:49:15 -0600

XXXXX,

Thanks for writing me about Senate Bill 170, the proposal to give in-state tuition to illegal immigrants.

I am opposed to this bill: I do not believe that law-abiding taxpayers should subsidize tuition for illegal immigrants. I have sponsored bills in the past to prohibit the government from giving in-state tuition to illegal immigrants, but so far none have been signed into law. Rest assured that I’ll keep up the fight against funding illegal immigrant social programs with taxpayer dollars.

Again, thanks for your e-mail. Please feel free to call me if you have any further questions or concerns: 303-866-4881.

Sincerely,

Ted Harvey

State Senator, Douglas County

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast