Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

{SOB}Sanctuary sharpens the divide on immigration

Sanctuary sharpens the divide on immigration

By Gregory W. Griggs
    Los Angeles Times

LAWRENCE K. HO/Los Angeles Times

Liliana, holding 7-month-old son Pablito, welcomes a visit from her husband, Gerardo, and her daughter, Susy, 5.

LOS ANGELES - Liliana spends her days taking care of her 7-month-old son, mostly within the comfortable confines of a parsonage at United Church of Christ in suburban Simi Valley.

The 29-year-old mother says she would rather be with her husband and their other two children at home in Oxnard. But that's not possible. Liliana, an illegal immigrant who sought sanctuary at the church in August, is hoping for a legal reprieve that would allow her to live at home without fear of arrest or deportation as she pursues her desire to stay in the United States.

"I'm a mother, not a criminal," said the slight, soft-spoken woman during a recent interview at the church.

But opponents of illegal immigration disagree wholeheartedly. To them, Liliana became a criminal the moment she crossed the U.S. border with Mexico in the late 1990s without proper documentation.

The fact that Liliana now shares responsibility for three children who were born in the United States and, therefore, are citizens, should not give her a free pass regarding her illegal status, they say.

"Her and other families like hers wouldn't be in this situation if she had just done it the right way at first and not broken the law to begin with," said Chelene Nightingale, spokeswoman for Save Our State, an anti-illegal immigration group.

"She didn't have a family when she first got here. ... I have no ill-will against (Liliana) personally. It's not her, but she's the symbol of a bigger problem."

Likewise, Albert Rodriguez, who founded Don't Speak for Me, another anti-illegal immigration group, said supporters of the sanctuary movement are aiding and abetting lawbreakers.

"I don't care what the denomination is, they're wrong," Rodriguez said.

The case involving Liliana, who asked that her last name not be published because she fears for her safety, received national attention in September when the city of Simi Valley sent the church a bill for nearly $40,000 to cover the cost of extra law-enforcement officers called out during a local anti-illegal immigration rally.

Officials later decided not to force the reimbursement issue, saying that the United States needs a clearer federal policy on immigration.

Liliana, aware that many opponents of illegal immigration do not sympathize with her, said she wanted to describe her experiences in the hope of generating greater understanding of families made up of both illegal immigrants and U.S. citizens. She said her personal goals remain basic: to sharpen her English skills and to study psychology in college.

"I want to do something good for this country," she said. "I want to help my family move forward."

A native of Michoacan, Mexico, Liliana, speaking through an interpreter, said she came to the United States in 1998 when she was 19. She was unable to obtain a student visa in Mexico City, but she traveled north anyway.

Liliana was detained while attempting to cross the border but secretly entered the United States within a few weeks. Later that year, she met Gerardo, her future husband, on the first day of her job at a corn-packing facility in Somis, near Oxnard. In 1999, they were married in a church wedding with more than 300 guests. Within two months, the couple began the process of applying to federal immigration authorities for Liliana to become a permanent resident like her husband.

They were told by a notary that her earlier border detention would not be a problem. To strengthen their application, Gerardo became a U.S. citizen in fall 2002. About a year later, Liliana was granted a one-year work permit. In May 2004, the couple encountered a problem with Liliana's residency petition - her border detention had made her ineligible for permanent residency. Immigration officers warned her that they could arrest her immediately and subject her to deportation, but they let her return home to her young son and daughter.

Fearing Liliana's deportation, the couple consulted attorney Gabriella Navarro-Busch in Ventura, who told them they could wait until Liliana received a formal letter ordering deportation. Months passed, and then years, and nothing happened. But in May 2007, four federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents arrived at the family's home about 6:30 a.m.

They were set to take Liliana into custody, when she successfully pleaded for five extra days to arrange care for her children: Gerardo Jr., 7; Susy, 5, and Paul, then 2 months, whom they call Pablito.

At that point, Liliana joined the New Sanctuary Movement, a national human-rights effort to make immigration law more humane and eliminate raids that separate undocumented parents from their U.S.-born children. She stayed in several locations before arriving at the Simi Valley church.

The family received her deportation letter Sept. 5., Navarro-Busch said. Churches providing sanctuary is ancient practice, although it has no legal standing in the United States. Still, federal authorities have declined to enter the Simi Valley church, or sanctuary congregations, to arrest sheltered illegal immigrants, stating a policy of concentrating on more serious criminal offenders.

The parsonage used by Liliana and Pablito has four bedrooms, two baths, fireplaces and a patio. Gerardo - who has one job at a hardware store and another delivering pizza - and the couple's other children visit one day during the week and on weekends.

Liliana said keeping her family together would be impossible without the help of her parents, who live in the Oxnard area, and volunteers from the church and affiliated congregations who support the movement. As a safety precaution, at least one church member is stationed at the parsonage around the clock. "I don't think anyone can fully appreciate the quiet anguish she feels every day as she prays for a positive solution to her situation," said the Rev. June Goudey, church pastor. "Our church continues to join our prayers with hers."

Publication date: 11-29-2007
    http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 90377/1005
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member ourcountrynottheirs's Avatar
    Wow. Guess she should have thought about this BEFORE she crossed the border, twice. It's real hard to feel sorry for these people. I can't believe they are using church members to guard her around the clock. What will this "guard" do if ICE shows up?

Re: {SOB}Sanctuary sharpens the divide on immigration

Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz
    "I'm a mother, not a criminal,"
    You're a criminal who dropped an anchor baby.
    Proud wife of an undocumented ICE agent.
    Definition of a RACIST according to Madeline Cosman : Real American Committed to Integrity Sovereignty and Truth

"She didn't have a family when she first got here. ... I have no ill-will against (Liliana) personally. It's not her, but she's the symbol of a bigger problem."
    Now she has three! She's not a mother....she's a despicable anchor baby factory.

When they say i'm just a mother not a criminal shows that they either don't get it or they are not the brightest light bulg on the tree. They are criminals because they came here ILLEGALY. I am sure that they are aware of their own countries immigration polices so why do they think they deserve more?

She is a disgrace to Mexico and the United States both.
    She is the dishonesty, the depravity, the U.S. citizens have come to view those from Mexico as. Her actions harm the relations of the U.S. citizens with Mexico. As we come to see more and more like her from Mexico and other nations that take advange of the welcome we provide, we realize that immigration is not the benefit to our nation that we have been told it was.

A native of Michoacan, Mexico, Liliana, speaking through an interpreter,
    She been here almost ten years and still has to use an interpreter.

She said her personal goals remain basic: to sharpen her English skills and to study psychology in college.
    Really she doesn't have a clue which shows she doesn't have the intellect to be psychologist, but I bet the taxpayers get to pay for that too.

Gerardo - who has one job at a hardware store and another delivering pizza
    Let's see two kids in school that may not speak English, cost to taxpayers about twenty thousand dollars a year (forty thousand the cost of extra police for a immigration rally because of her). . I sure Gerardo's not paying that much in taxes. Why did we legalize him so he and his family can be at public charge forever? This is why folks amnesty would be a disaster, think of all the full grown men working in jobs that were never meant to support a family sucking us dry ever.

SOB SANCTUARY SHARPENS THE DIVIDE ON IMMIGRATION -

THESE FOLKS COME HERE ILLEGALLY AND WHEN THEY ARE CAUGHT UP WITH THEY ARE THE VICTIMS OF A UNFAIR SYSTEM. THEY PUT THEMSELVES AND THEIR KIDS IN THIS SITUATION. I HAVE NO SYMPATHY FOR THEM OR THEIR PLIGHT. ICE SHOULD HAVE ARRESTED HER WHEN THEY HAD THE CHANCE. HOW DUMB CAN THESE PEOPLE BE? SHE DID NOT NEED TIME TO FIND SOMEONE TO CARE FOR HER KIDS. HER HUSBAND WAS RIGHT THERE. OH HOW DUMB, HOW DUMB!

My Brazilian friend's Catholic priest (also from Brazil), REFUSES to allow HIS church to give SANCTUARY to ILLEGALS!

I am more angry with DHS for not deporting her when first arrested.This gave her time to drop another anchor and become more entrenced in the USA.

DHS is NOT doing their job !!
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast