Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

‘Citizenship Ritual May Be Ended'

Letters to the Editor
    March 9, 2007

‘Citizenship Ritual May Be Ended'

Our leaders stubbornly fail to deal with illegal immigration and are now apparently flummoxed by the legal kind as well [New York, "Citizenship Ritual May Be Ended," March 2, 2007].

Andrea Quarantillo, director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for New York City, would scrap the tradition of new citizens' solemnly taking the oath of citizenship before federal judges.

For the sake of efficiency, or at least bureaucratic convenience, Ms. Quarantillo would replace a dignified and even ennobling ceremony with something like a video game, complete with taped presentations, in which new Americans would, essentially, talk to the wall.

Why stop there? Why not do it online from local Internet cafes? Perhaps age has crept up on me and I am, all-unknowing, well into advanced fogyhood, but I reject Ms. Quarantillo's insulting notion. It is offensive; it devalues citizenship itself as much as does online voting, whose convenience and efficiency appeal to those who value the privilege of citizenship in the greatest nation on earth only if they don't have to get out of bed for it.

I have seen several naturalization ceremonies. In fact they are occasionally covered in newscasts by local television stations. To me and surely to others of immigrant stock — and that is all of us, is it not? — they are wonderful and moving. As they are also, no doubt, for those new citizens who, right hands held high, swell with pride and emotion during what Ms. Quarantillo considers mere bureaucratic routine.

BILL MARSANO
    New York, N.Y.

http://www.nysun.com/article/50144
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    For friends of mine who came here legally, spent many years in the process of becoming naturalized citizens, one of the proudest moments of their lives was to stand up, take the oath and be sworn in as Americans. Sad that those who supposedly "represent" us think so little of this country.

I wasn't aware that becoming an AMERICAN has been watered down to nothing more than mere EFFICIENCY

NY is the pit of vipers!!!

Notice the horrible NY apartment fire this week, killed 9 ILLEGALS from Africa, who overloaded the circuits and burned the damned place down.
    Read English??? I doubt it.
    Built FAKE, illegal WALLS? probably

And bloomberg is sidestepping the real issue.

So, yes.........let's make becoming an AMERICAN, simply EFFICIENT.
    That's one hell of a plan
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Ms. Quarantillo should be replaced with someone that respects what these new immigrant go through.
    <div>If you love this nation, please stop illegal immigration.</div>

America is adopting these people as citizens and they should be honored and respected. I don't agree with this nut case.

She just wants to speed up the process and open up a loop hole for millions to be processed quickly.

Quack-an-tillo everyone sees you walk like one too!

Nothing wrong with Ameircan Tradition. Don't shun it for a speed pass.

Dixie

I have always found the ceremony very moving as well. To see the pride in those people's faces...reminds me of how proud I am to be an American.

Then you think of those millions who have.....you know....

Notice the horrible NY apartment fire this week, killed 9 ILLEGALS from Africa,
    The man had two wives and 17 children living in that tenement ..... unbelievable.

It is all about destroying what citizenship stands for. It also helps those who support dual citizenship (divided loyalty).

[quoteFor the sake of efficiency, or at least bureaucratic convenience, Ms. Quarantillo would replace a dignified and even ennobling ceremony with something like a video game, complete with taped presentations, in which new Americans would, essentially, talk to the wall. quote]

That really CHEAPENS the honor of becoming a citizen! Sorry, but her ideas are crazy. The process of becoming a citizen should include a ceremony, which makes it a celebration that honors and welcomes the new citizens
    "For the sake of efficiency" get rid of that Quarantillo idiot!

Gee, if they really want to streamline the process, why don't they just send a US Passport and Citizenship certificant to any foreigner from anywhere in the world that sent in a picture and $100 bill. Of course the USA would quickly descend into anarchy (think Somalia), but hey, we would have a streamlined immigration process!!

What a pathetic worthless moron.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast