Like Tree1Likes

Thread: It’s Time for Conservatives to Let the Blue States Burn

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

It’s Time for Conservatives to Let the Blue States Burn

I believe that it is high time for conservatives and liberty lovers to abandon the irredeemably left-wing, bright Blue states

It’s Time for Conservatives to Let the Blue States Burn

By Tim Dunkin (Bio and Archives) Friday, January 24, 2014

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo recently made the news for giving voice to the sort of fascistic, anti-liberty sentiments that most left-wingers inwardly hold, even if most of them have enough sense not to give voice to them except among themselves. While commenting about “extreme conservatives,” i.e. normal Americans who don’t hold the same radical, far-left views as Cuomo does, he said this,
    “…You’re seeing that play out in New York…The Republican Party candidates are running against the SAFE Act — it was voted for by moderate Republicans who run the Senate! Their problem is not me and the Democrats; their problem is themselves. Who are they? Are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay? Is that who they are? Because if that’s who they are and they’re the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York, because that’s not who New Yorkers are.”
    Basically, Cuomo was trying to appeal to the hate-and-fear centers of the left-wing lizard brain by demonizing people who essentially don’t want to kill babies, want to be able to defend themselves, and don’t think gays ought to be able to force their lifestyle off onto the rest of us. In other words, the good, decent people in this country and in his state. Governor Cuomo thinks that decent people do not belong in the state of New York.

You know what? I completely agree with him.

In my previous article, I discussed the fact that liberals have a very, very different culture than do normal Americans. This wouldn’t be as much of a problem if liberals were not so very keen on forcing their culture off onto the rest of us. Liberals simply cannot “live and let live.” They are pathologically driven towards trying to make the rest of us operate by their standards.

They don’t like guns, so you can’t have them. They like abortion, so you can’t be allowed free speech to talk women out of getting one. They adore the gay lifestyle, so you have to be forced to cater to it (sometimes literally). They want the almighty state to “help the poor” instead of private voluntary associations like churches and charities, so you have to have ever-increasing chunks of your paycheck taken out so you and your family can’t use it. On and on it goes. Liberals will not allow the rest of us to be free to make our own choices because, most of the time, we make the “wrong” choices and this makes liberals feel sad so that they have to “do something” about it. Like it or not, buddy, you’re going to pay for their bike paths, birth control, and light-rail boondoggles.

I believe that it is high time for conservatives and liberty lovers to abandon the irredeemably left-wing, bright Blue states – states like California, New York, most of New England, etc. Our people should leave these states and “colonize” the purplish states that are still recoverable.

Allow me to explain what I mean, first from an electoral standpoint. Below is a list of large states that Barack Obama won by large margins, i.e. with at least 57% of the vote (I’ll use rounded vote numbers):

• California – Obama won by 3,000,000 votes
    • New York – Obama won by 2,000,000 votes
    • Illinois – Obama won by 880,000 votes
    • Massachusetts – Obama won by 730,000 votes
    • Maryland – Obama won by 700,000 votes
    • New Jersey – Obama won by 650,000 votes

Let’s face it – no matter how much conservatives, liberty lovers, and Republicans (who are not always the same as the first two) put on their game faces and work their get-out-the-vote phone lines, we are not going to be overcoming these kinds of deficits any time soon. We are not going to be seeing conservative senators or governors elected in these states - a few “moderate” Republicans, maybe, but not genuine conservatives and liberty lovers interested in limited, constitutional government.

So think about this – Obama only won Pennsylvania by 310,000 votes. What would happen if several hundred thousand New York conservatives out of the 2.5 million who voted for Romney (only to still lose by two million) decided to move across the border into Pennsylvania? New York turns bluer, but so what?

Pennsylvania, on the other hand, suddenly goes from being a purplish-blue state where you can occasionally get conservatives elected statewide to being a reddish state where you can reliably get conservatives elected. What would it be like to have two decently conservative Senators from the state, instead of just one? What if we could swing Pennsylvania’s 20 electoral votes over into the Republican column consistently? What if we could tip a handful of swing congressional districts over into the solidly Republican column, and work to get real conservatives and liberty lovers elected in them? Plus, the now-bluer New York would probably lose a congressional district and an electoral vote while the now-redder Pennsylvania gains both.

Play this same scenario out nationwide. What if Maryland conservatives migrated over into Virginia en masse? Obama only won Virginia by around 150,000 votes, while there were over 970,000 votes in Maryland that were futilely cast for Romney.

Maryland and New Jersey (with nearly 1.5 million votes for Romney, only to lose miserably) could help to take Pennsylvania, too. Massachusetts (with 1.2 million votes cast for Romney, to no avail) could easily tip New Hampshire (where Obama won by a merely 40,000 votes) back to the Right, and still have plenty of conservatives left to spare for securing Florida or Ohio.

The East Coast isn’t the only place where this could play out. Some of the 2.1 million right-leaning voters in Illinois could help to take back Wisconsin, which Obama won by only 213,000 votes, by merely moving across the border. California – the great American sinkhole – could certainly spare some of its 4.8 million Republican voters to help retake New Mexico, Colorado, and Nevada (Obama’s by 80,000, 140,000, and 68,000 respectively).

Currently, those three states send a grand total of one Republican to the Senate. What if they sent six instead?

“Whoa, Tim,” you might be saying, “that’s asking an awful lot, isn’t it? I mean, these are real live people you’re exhorting to just drop everything and move to another state!”

True – it is. But let’s think about it for a minute. What are you losing by leaving a left-wing controlled Blue state? The high taxes? The onerous gun regulations? Is it really that much of a sacrifice to leave a state like Massachusetts where you could actually be fined or thrown in jail if you happened to say something against abortion while walking down the sidewalk in front of an abortion clinic? What about moving away from New York, where the government will just come in and take away your family-owned business using a bogus eminent domain claim so that a government-owned coop can be installed in its place? Is staying in California really that big of a deal when the state is in the process of throwing itself down a fiscal toilet?

If Oregon is going to force you as a business owners to support things you morally oppose, why not just move your business to a more freedom-friendly state?

Further, when conservatives and liberty lovers move from a Blue state to a not-Blue one, they aren’t just taking themselves.

They’re taking their accumulated wealth, their skills, businesses that they may own, etc. I can easily envision a scenario whereby conservative small business owners in, say, California, get tired of it all and give their conservative employees the option of moving with the company to Nevada or New Mexico (the liberal employees can find themselves another job). Then, hire conservatives in the new state to replace the liberals who aren’t offered the chance to make the move.

Conservatives keep their jobs, more conservatives get jobs, the business owner isn’t paying through the nose for taxes and regulatory burdens, the new state gets the tax and income revenue – it’s win-win for all involved.

Besides, it’s not like this all doesn’t have its upside. Take Pennsylvania, for example. There’s a lot of beautiful, open country in that state. The cost of living is low, the price of property is quite reasonable. If you’re a business owner, there’s a large supply of folks who would love to have a good paying job with an out-of-state company moving in, especially since Pennsylvania’s traditional mainstay industries like coal and steel-making have been gutted by “free” trade and environmentalism. The gun laws are relatively lax.

It’s one of the most functionally pro-life states in the Union. The taxes aren’t too onerous, especially compared to the state’s neighbors. In the long run, what have you got to lose?

Colorado is pretty nice. So is New Mexico. Florida still has some great places to live. I’m sure there are pleasant places to live in Wisconsin, Ohio, or Iowa (well, maybe not in Iowa). Moreover, it isn’t as if moving from one state to another is all that traumatic of an experience. People do it all the time. People used to move out into completely unknown wilderness for the chance at economic and personal liberty. How does that compare with moving from Rochester to Altoona?

It isn’t like my theory is unprecedented. Texas governor Rick Perry has essentially been trying to entice businesses in Blue states to do the same thing (successfully, apparently) for years now. Businesses have been voting with their feet for quite a while. All I’m really proposing is that we finally get organized about it and make it into a concerted effort to shore up what’s left of this country electorally. Let the Blue states have their mess – we’ll keep our Red states and turn the purple states Red.

Besides, the Left has been trying to do the same thing, even if in a non-concerted manner. Don’t forget, the reason Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico are even Purple or Blue to begin with is because of left-wingers fleeing the imminent collapse in California. Really, I’m just calling upon our side to start counteracting that.

One thing that will be vitally important to do in our Red states and in any Purple states we can take back is to roll back the welfare apparatus at the state level. We should purposefully make Red states as unattractive to welfare-addicts as we possibly can. If someone wants lifetime welfare benefits generous enough to buy a Cadillac with (and I’ve seen it done), then let them move to or live in New York or California. Maybe we can see some two-way population flow – conservatives and liberty lovers who want economic freedom moving into Red and Purple states, liberals and welfare-addicts moving to Blue states. Each will be happier with their own folk.

It is then that we can sit back and watch the implosion. There are many on the Right who advocate a “let it burn” policy – basically just sitting back and letting the Democrats have their way, hastening the inevitable collapse so that we can then pick up the pieces and mold this country’s direction back to our way.

I don’t really support this at the national level. Indeed, the plan I’ve proposed above – which would work to maximize the number of conservative senators and representatives in Washington – would work toward staving off the implosion at a federal level (to the extent that this could even be done now).

But at the state level? Let federalism and states’ rights do its thing. If California and New York want to keep raising taxes, raising social spending, wasting their money on taxpayer-funded boondoggles, and all the rest, then let them do it – just not on the backs of thousands or millions of unwilling conservatives and liberty lovers. Without all these productive, taxpaying citizens, their collapse will only happen sooner. Once they collapse, maybe, just maybe, the Democrats and liberals will be discredited enough that the remaining people in those states will listen to some common sense and begin to exercise fiscal and social responsibility. And if not – then let them wallow in the mud hole of their own creation. If they want to move to our states (and constitutionally we can’t legally stop them, short of secession), make them find jobs, because they’re not going to get welfare.

I imagine that a lot of this sounds pretty radical – people moving around en masse so as to move electoral votes around on the electoral column? Again – it’s not a new idea. The Libertarians (big-L) have been trying to do it in New Hampshire for decades, but there aren’t enough of them to make much of a difference even in that small state. But, yes, I can see how my idea seems fairly radical. But wouldn’t it be worth it, both for the country’s future as well as that of you and your family?

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/60688
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I believe that it is high time for conservatives and liberty lovers to abandon the irredeemably left-wing, bright Blue states – states like California, New York, most of New England, etc. Our people should leave these states and “colonize” the purplish states that are still recoverable.
    I believe this may be the only remaining answer to the liberal problem, difficult yes but sometimes it takes some suffering to bring about change.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)