Mr. Schumer.
I could not help see a news article from a couple of weeks where you claim that the southern border is secure and that America can move forward with comprehensive immigration reform.
I hate to say this and point out the obvious, but you could not be more wrong on this topic.
I belong to a couple of immigration forums on Yahoo and other places where emails are traded back and forth. All of the stories I have gotten lately would tell me that you are 100 percent wrong.
There are stories about illegals found dying in the desert, trying to enter illegally in a boat, in 18 wheelers
Not all of them are good people, either. The border patrol in the past month has caught NUMEROUS gang members trying to sneak back in the country, or in some cases, trying to enter at port of entry and border check points. At a time when there are Mexican drug cartel operations in some 245 American cities, numerous gang members illegally in the country and Phoenix, Arizona, is all of a sudden the city with the second most kidnappings in the world, I do think there is a problem that people like YOU do not want to see, do not care to see, or think they are isolated incidents.
In your state, two weeks ago, an illegal raped and killed a young girl under the age of TEN and is now in jail. This man had been deported before after having been charged with aggrevated assault of a minor in 2001 or 2002, i forgot which. These are not the kind of people we want or need in this country.
Granted not all of them are going to be rapists and killers. However, anyone in this country illegally is a criminal. It is a crime to enter the US illegally. It is a crime to lie on any forms and this is done everyday. Its as simple as filling out 1040 forms, I9, apps. for welfare, food stamps and other monies designed for American citizens. It is also a crime to be in possession of forged or bought documents. All of these are crimes. No matter how minor they might be, they are all crimes.
The article said that you mentioned over 70 percent of americans favored a path to citizenship and amnesty for illegals. I dont know where that came from but i can guarantee you the numbers you quote are wrong. Now we both know that if you ask a question a certain way, you will get the answer that you want. However the real poll and question came up with a result of 84 percent of Americans DID NOT WANT anyone illegally in this country to be given any kind of rewards for breaking US Laws.
You and others claim that we have a broken immigration policy and i DISAGREE. What we have are elected officials who have been bought off by lobbyists for the chamber of commerce, big business and just have not enforced the laws on the books already.
In the 1986 Amnesty signed by then President Reagan, the American people were told that the southern borders would be secure. To this day, this has never happened.
In the 86 Amnesty, the American people were also told that we would not be asked to give anyone else an amnesty, EVER!
Since this Amnesty, we were told other laws have gone into effect that said workplace enforcement targeting both the employers and the employees would be targeted, jailed, and charged.
I ask that you look back at the raids last year in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, where some 800 illegal aliens were arrested. Stories the following days in the media came out that the human resources refused to hire anyone who was not of a latino heritage and after the raids, the very next day, in the rain, hundreds of American citizens lined up in the rain starting at FIVE AM to apply for these jobs. and they were told everytime that they applied at this company that there was never any openings yet one union foreman said that he always saw new people every month and they were always of the hispanic heritage.
Last January. in Washington state, 35 illegals were arrested at a job site. the next day 140 Americans lined up applying for those jobs.

I could go back and fill up your mailbox with all sorts of stories where illegals have killed American citizens to prove my point.
My only problem in doing this and trying to open your eyes to the real problem is that you and all the other elite in washington, DC, probably live in a gated community away from the normal every day working people who work 9-5,. five days a week, 52 weeks a year.
I do have to wonder if the shoes were on the other foot, and if you lost a loved one to an illegal alien from another country, would you be so fast at passing immigration reform, or would you take a stance against any and everything regarding illegals.
The state of Nebraska in the past ten days has led to rest to little girls because of illegals. one girl was in her parents car and an illegal ran a stop light and hitting the car. Another one was sodomised and killed in her own house, as her parents slept in the other bedroom by an illegal alien.

Here is the story... http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/46101717.html

Here is the story of the FOUR year old
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10634218

Here is a second story with a picture of the FOUR year old killed by the illegal. Isnt she adorable?!?!?!?

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10634585

CAN YOU LOOK THE PARENTS OF THESE TWO LITTLE GIRLS IN THE FACE AND SAY we really do need comprehensive reform that will allow people like this to become part of America???? I could not do it