Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

700 mile fence/here today, gone after election?

700-mile fence edges closer
    Senate is expected to debate border measure today, vote by tonight
    Lisa Friedman, Washington Bureau

Beyond Borders - Special Report on Immigration
    VIEW OUR BEYOND
    BORDERS BLOG

The Senate agreed Thursday to move forward on authorizing a 700-mile security fence between the U.S. and Mexico even as other GOP attempts to crack down on illegal immigration fell victim to turf wars and inter-party skirmishes.

The 71-28 vote means that the Senate can begin final debate on the border fence today, with a vote expected by evening.

California's senators, both Democrats, split on allowing the fence to come up for a vote, with Sen. Barbara Boxer opposing it and Sen. Dianne Feinstein voting to allow it.

"I prefer the comprehensive immigration reform bill passed by the Senate," Feinstein said. "I voted for this comprehensive bill and I believe that it is the right approach. But I also believe that it is critical that we improve the border infrastructure."

Even if the final measure passes, however, the fence remains just a slice of the immigration loaf that GOP leaders tried to pass as part of their midterm election agenda.

"It is very possible that this session of Congress will end and no significant steps will be taken on immigration," said Steven Camarota, research director for the Center for Immigration Studies, which favors crackdowns on illegal immigrants.

"I wasn't counting on any progress on the illegal-immigration front from this Congress, and I'm still not," said an immigration hard-liner, Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Huntington Beach.

But Rohrabacher warned, "The voters are going to take note. When we return, this Congress is going to see just how important this issue is."

House Republicans this month passed four

immigration-related bills. Many of them were elements of a tough border-security bill that passed the House in December.

But the Senate could not reconcile that with a separate reform measure that boosted security but also granted a citizenship path to millions of illegal immigrants.

In addition to authorizing the fence, House Republicans moved to deputize local law-enforcement officers as immigration agents and allow for the indefinite detainment of illegal immigrants.

The House also unanimously passed legislation criminalizing the construction and financing of unauthorized border tunnels.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., vowed to muscle all of those provisions into either the 2007 defense or homeland-security funding bills.

The move, however, provoked intense opposition from Senate Republicans.

Some,

Advertisement

like Senate Armed Services Chairman John Warner, R-Va., objected on procedural grounds. Others such as Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa., argued that passing immigration measures piecemeal would kill any chance of larger bipartisan reform.

Hastert backed down Thursday, House and Senate aides said. A Hastert spokesman did not return calls for comment.

"It was the legislative equivalent of a showdown at the OK Corral, with Republicans staring down the Republicans," said Angela Kelley, deputy director of the National Immigration Forum, which advocates for illegal immigrants.

Meanwhile, two other House-approved measures - the fence and criminalizing the border tunnels - are expected to pass.

That was enough Thursday for House Majority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, to claim at least partial victory.

"There is clearly some concern about some of the border security issues that the House passed last week that we would like to have seen in there," he said.

But Boehner added, "Having said that, the tunnel provision that makes it illegal to tunnel across the border is included. And if you look at the additional funds that we have in there, we've taken a big step on securing our borders."

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-San Francisco, said Republicans botched immigration reform.

"This Republican Congress has failed to pass meaningful, comprehensive, bipartisan immigration reform," she said. "What they have done is really abdicate their responsibilities here."

Kelley called the fence "a bumper-sticker slogan and certainly not a solution," and said she doesn't believe its passage will allow GOP leaders to claim real action on border security.

"Because the attention was on this issue for so long, there's no one who's going to be fooled by a fence," she said.

---------

BLOG: Tell us what you think about Thursday's congressional action, and join the online conversation about immigration issues on The Sun's Beyond Borders Blog.
    700-mile fence edges closer
    Senate is expected to debate border measure today, vote by tonight
    Lisa Friedman, Washington Bureau

Beyond Borders - Special Report on Immigration
    VIEW OUR BEYOND
    BORDERS BLOG

The Senate agreed Thursday to move forward on authorizing a 700-mile security fence between the U.S. and Mexico even as other GOP attempts to crack down on illegal immigration fell victim to turf wars and inter-party skirmishes.

The 71-28 vote means that the Senate can begin final debate on the border fence today, with a vote expected by evening.

California's senators, both Democrats, split on allowing the fence to come up for a vote, with Sen. Barbara Boxer opposing it and Sen. Dianne Feinstein voting to allow it.

"I prefer the comprehensive immigration reform bill passed by the Senate," Feinstein said. "I voted for this comprehensive bill and I believe that it is the right approach. But I also believe that it is critical that we improve the border infrastructure."

Even if the final measure passes, however, the fence remains just a slice of the immigration loaf that GOP leaders tried to pass as part of their midterm election agenda.

"It is very possible that this session of Congress will end and no significant steps will be taken on immigration," said Steven Camarota, research director for the Center for Immigration Studies, which favors crackdowns on illegal immigrants.

"I wasn't counting on any progress on the illegal-immigration front from this Congress, and I'm still not," said an immigration hard-liner, Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Huntington Beach.

But Rohrabacher warned, "The voters are going to take note. When we return, this Congress is going to see just how important this issue is."

House Republicans this month passed four

immigration-related bills. Many of them were elements of a tough border-security bill that passed the House in December.

But the Senate could not reconcile that with a separate reform measure that boosted security but also granted a citizenship path to millions of illegal immigrants.

In addition to authorizing the fence, House Republicans moved to deputize local law-enforcement officers as immigration agents and allow for the indefinite detainment of illegal immigrants.

The House also unanimously passed legislation criminalizing the construction and financing of unauthorized border tunnels.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., vowed to muscle all of those provisions into either the 2007 defense or homeland-security funding bills.

The move, however, provoked intense opposition from Senate Republicans.

Some,

Advertisement

like Senate Armed Services Chairman John Warner, R-Va., objected on procedural grounds. Others such as Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa., argued that passing immigration measures piecemeal would kill any chance of larger bipartisan reform.

Hastert backed down Thursday, House and Senate aides said. A Hastert spokesman did not return calls for comment.

"It was the legislative equivalent of a showdown at the OK Corral, with Republicans staring down the Republicans," said Angela Kelley, deputy director of the National Immigration Forum, which advocates for illegal immigrants.

Meanwhile, two other House-approved measures - the fence and criminalizing the border tunnels - are expected to pass.

That was enough Thursday for House Majority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, to claim at least partial victory.

"There is clearly some concern about some of the border security issues that the House passed last week that we would like to have seen in there," he said.

But Boehner added, "Having said that, the tunnel provision that makes it illegal to tunnel across the border is included. And if you look at the additional funds that we have in there, we've taken a big step on securing our borders."

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-San Francisco, said Republicans botched immigration reform.

"This Republican Congress has failed to pass meaningful, comprehensive, bipartisan immigration reform," she said. "What they have done is really abdicate their responsibilities here."

Kelley called the fence "a bumper-sticker slogan and certainly not a solution," and said she doesn't believe its passage will allow GOP leaders to claim real action on border security.

"Because the attention was on this issue for so long, there's no one who's going to be fooled by a fence," she said.

---------

BLOG: Tell us what you think about Thursday's congressional action, and join the online conversation about immigration issues on The Sun's Beyond Borders Blog.
    ------------------------

Take note, Feinstein is up for re-election in Nov., Boxer is not. Hmmm..
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Sen. Feinstein was on the senate floor about 30 minutes ago attempting to convince the senate to agree on attaching an agricultural guest-worker program amendment to the fence bill. Of course since cloture has already passed on the fence bill, she'll probably be unsuccessful. We all know this was one last ditch effort on her part to legalize working illegal immigrants in the farming industry. Of course these folks would also have the opportunity for a green card in 5 years that would place them on a path to citizenship. Basically, she is still insisting on giving amensty to a select group of illegal immigrant working in the agricultural industry.

Don't let Sen. Feinstein fool you with her vote of cloture on the fence bill debate. It's like jean said, Feinstein is up for re-election in November, which leaves her with little option in regard to the bill. It's all a political ploy that we're not stupid enough to fall for. Sen. Feinstein is not good for our cause or America! Hopefully our California friends on ALIPAC will let her know exactly what they think of her this November.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Hopefully our California friends on ALIPAC will let her know exactly what they think of her this November. [/b]
    I live here and I don't even know who's running against her.

She's a Senator for Life, and then some, just like Boxer.

By the way, I've read this article twice and I still can't tell what it is the Senate is about to vote on.

I guess they're thinking about outlawing tunnels across the border, and maybe doing something about a fence, but doesn't all this have to still be reconcilled with the House bill?
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Count said:
    I live here and I don't even know who's running against her.

She's a Senator for Life, and then some, just like Boxer.
    Dick Mountjoy is running against Feinstein:
    http://www.mountjoyforsenate.com/

I'm voting for him but have to agree, Feinstein and Boxer seem firmly planted in the Senate for life.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I believe the agricultural industry would be better off to fight in favor of a fence and border security, if they were not allowed to walk in anytime they want then they would be more willing to come in on an ag visa and they would end up having more workers to pick their crops. They are defeating their purpose by fighting against a fence and border security.

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    Dick Mountjoy is running against Feinstein:
    http://www.mountjoyforsenate.com/
    Well, that's a relief. I thought it might be Bill Jones again.

Mountjoy must be running a stealth campaign. I haven't heard a word about him.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.