Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 8 Ways Trump's Debate Boycott Could Help His Campaign

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

8 Ways Trump's Debate Boycott Could Help His Campaign

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 09:55 AM
    By: Nick Sanchez

Republican front-runner Donald Trump announced Tuesday that he will not attend Thursday's debate after Fox News refused to remove co-host Megyn Kelly — who Trump has long argued is biased against him.

"With me, they’re dealing with somebody that’s a little bit different. They can’t toy with me like they toy with everybody else. So let them have their debate, and let’s see how they do with the ratings," he said, according to The New York Times.

Instead of attending the debate, Trump said he will attend a charity event for veterans.

Gathered below are eight ways that Trump's debate boycott could help his campaign.

1. The move will raise money for veterans — In a statement announcing he'll skip the debate, the Trump campaign also announced that he'll participate in a charity event instead. "He will not be participating in the Fox News debate and will instead host an event in Iowa to raise money for the Veterans and Wounded Warriors, who have been treated so horribly by our all talk, no action politicians," said the statement.

2. He maintains his outsider cred — Trump's rise to the top of the field has been fueled in large part by his appeal as an "outsider" fighting against "establishment" politicians and media. By painting Megyn Kelly and Fox News as part of the establishment, he shores up his No. 1 asset: outsider credibility. Corey Lewandowski, Trump's campaign manager, told Politico that Fox has "executives over there who’ve got relatives working for the other campaigns."

3. He maintains a strong image — When Trump asked that Kelly be replaced as debate host, Fox News responded with a flippant statement: "We learned from a secret back channel that the Ayatollah and Putin both intend to treat Donald Trump unfairly when they meet with him if he becomes president. A nefarious source tells us that Trump has his own secret plan to replace the Cabinet with his Twitter followers to see if he should even go to those meetings." Later, chairman Roger Ailes personally told reporters, "Megyn Kelly is an excellent journalist, and the entire network stands behind her. She will absolutely be on the debate stage on Thursday night." By sitting out the debate, Trump is telling the world that he won't be pushed around. "Roger Ailes and Fox News think they can toy with him, but Mr. Trump doesn’t play games," the Trump campaign said in a statement.

4. He stays on top of the news cycle, gets free publicity — Having been an on-air personality for decades, Trump knows how to masterfully play the mainstream media, and even The Washington Post admits that, "By announcing that he will not debate, Trump likely will dominate news coverage." One reason Trump has been so successful as a candidate is because he has garnered a ton of free, earned media, and hasn't had to spend much on advertising.

5. He sets the tone, forcing his rivals to react — Trump's boycott is an offensive tactic that keeps his rivals on the defensive. By making bold moves, Trump forces his rivals to have the conversation he wants to have. Already, Ted Cruz — his main opponent in Iowa — has likened Trump's boycott to skipping an interview, The Washington Post reported. While Cruz may score a few points attacking Trump in this way, he is ultimately taking time away from what is arguably his best line of attack: that Trump has expressed a great many liberal positions in the recent past.

6. It helps him avoid the firing squad — As the front-runner, Trump will be the prime target for the last GOP debate before the Feb. 1 Iowa caucuses. If he were to take the stage, his rival candidates would likely team up against him like never before. Unlike the other candidates, Trump is a household name, and doesn't need to introduce himself to voters. Each debate has diminishing returns for Trump, and Thursday's event is especially dangerous. Better to skip it.

7. It helps him avoid Fox News host Megyn Kelly — Trump believes that Kelly is out to get him, just like National Review, Glenn Beck, and other critics. When National Review released its "Against Trump" issue last week, the Republican National Committee dropped them from an upcoming debate it was supposed to co-host because of its stated bias. If Kelly is biased against him, why should he participate? "Mr. Trump knows a bad deal when he sees one," the Trump campaign said in a statement.

8. He can claim he's already won all the debates — "There have already been six debates, and according to all online debate polls including Drudge, Slate, Time Magazine, and many others, Mr. Trump has won all of them, in particular the last one," the Trump campaign said in a statement. "Whereas he has always been a job creator and not a debater, he nevertheless truly enjoys the debating process — and it has been very good for him, both in polls and popularity."

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/donal.../27/id/711274/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Plus now all the rivals can devour each other in peace and at length.

Plus he's taught these networks an important lesson. They want to make money off of our political process, then they have to be nice and fair to the all the candidates. And when candidates don't like the arrangement or the set-up, they have every right to complain, protest and yes, withdraw.

Trump is doing exactly what Rand Paul just did. Did anyone accuse Rand of being "afraid" or a "crybaby" or a "whiner"? Oh no. Why? Because he didn't matter.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Sorry everyone, but in the last month Trump has completely turned me off. The more I listen to him, the more I don't trust him. I think all this attention has gone to his head and he actually believes he can do or say anything he wants and everyone will love him. To me that is way to dangerous.

God bless Mr Trump - where would we be w/o him. We would be listening to a lot of "path to citizenship", "amnesty", "country of immigrants", "quadruple foreign worker visas", "more refugees" talk from every single one of those other candidates.

http://www.alipac.us/f9/ann-coulter-...st-man-327928/
    Last edited by artist; 01-27-2016 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MontereySherry View Post
    Sorry everyone, but in the last month Trump has completely turned me off. The more I listen to him, the more I don't trust him. I think all this attention has gone to his head and he actually believes he can do or say anything he wants and everyone will love him. To me that is way to dangerous.
    I don't think any of us think Trump is perfect at all. He has a lot of flaws and issues and his run for President IS about his own ego and power trip. But in the end who out there of the other candidates doesn't have that well, just that they conceal it better. Even the ones who first got in for a good cause in their mind have turned into the power trip ego maniacs.

The thing is Trump knows as President while sating his ego and boosting his own power he can do a number of things that will make him far more powerful and rich in the end while also doing a lot of good for Americans and American workers, this is the difference between Trump and the normal politician. Trump will of course do things and set himself up to make money and gain more power as any businessman would. Politicians however not being big and powerful businessmen already instead rely on all the lobbyist groups and agenda's to boost them up.

But any way you look at in the end who else is out there better then Trump currently running? Many of these candidates we know have NO chance what so ever and the few that do have long ago sold out to the open border, pro mass immigration/illegal alien crowd with some going even further really after a NWO. Trump knows this and it makes him even more cocky which is why he says he can so or do anything and still not lose (yet he doesn't mean quite anything but as far as his current antics and keeping with his current agenda). Trump knows there isn't anyone else out there the American workers and people want to really support.

So who would you vote for instead of Trump and do you honestly think they stand a chance of winning the Presidential election? Do you also think they are NOT for selling out Americans even more? That's why I'm still for Trump.

It was just his way of bragging on his supporters and giving them credit for loyalty. All the polls were showing his supporters to be the most steadfast, most committed and when he saw that, he wanted to give credit to the supporters. Maybe it didn't come out right to make that point with everyone. He sees a Movement and he's very excited about it because that means he'll have the public support to do the things he wants to do. It's like when he brags on himself, his riches and projects and company, he does that so voters know he can afford to finance his own campaign because the press has made a big deal out of that, and he also wants people to know what he's done and achieved so they have confidence in him to do these great things for our country.

Rivals and press of course call him an "egomaniac" but he isn't. He's never been one. His whole life he never talked about what he was worth, wouldn't tell anyone, not David Letterman who tried every time he was on his show, not Mike Wallace who tried to find out, not anyone. He's only disclosed this now because he has to under financial disclosure laws and because now that it's out he wants people to know he can afford to pay for his campaign, the company can do well without him, and he's done big great things, things that will help him make our country great.

He's a great guy. Always has been. And he cares more about our country than he can even show and tell. I've watched him since the 80's and he saw then that we were headed for trouble and every chance he had he tried to tell people, not to run for office, just to have someone fix it. But no one did and no one has, and here we are.

But it's okay if you like someone else. You never need to apologize for who you want to support! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and their own choice of candidate.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

MW
    In regards to Trump, it's nice to see someone else shares my concerns. I've developed some real trust issues with him too and have been having doubts about his sincerity. Furthermore, sitting immigration issues aside for a moment, I have huge concerns on the possibility of him appointing two left leaning justices on the U.S. Supreme Court. That should be a strong concern for everyone at ALIPAC because the court will then become decidedly liberal. I hate to even imagine the damage such a court would do to this country.

For now I'll keep him among my top two choices because the alternatives are so bad. I would add Santorum to my list of possibles, but unfortunately it's a forgone conclusion his future, which doesn't include a presidency, is already decided.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn