Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ABC 7 Project Immigration: Ads Causing Controversy

ABC 7 Project Immigration: Ads Causing Controversy posted 4:08 pm Tue March 11, 2008 - tags: project immigration • ads • mccarren • congressional black caucus foundation

related stories:
    ABC 7 Project Immigration: The Changing Face of Arlandria
    ABC 7 Project Immigration: Mt. Rainier
    There are ads popping up in major cities across the country causing great controversy. They say black American workers have been unfairly victimized by an influx of immigrants.

The ads, which are hosted by the former head of the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, are blaming the high rates of unemployment in the African-American community on mass immigration.

They say black American workers have been unfairly victimized by an influx of immigrants. The ads are provocative, "Well, I've fought for civil rights all my life. I oppose mass immigration," and so is the message behind them.

"Forty percent of working age black American men do not have a job in this country," said Roy Beck with NumbersUSA, "They've been driven out of those jobs because the U.S. Congress flooded our labor market with both legal and illegal labor."

Outside a D.C. unemployment office, the ads touched a raw nerve with Evelino Hopkins. "If they're legally bound to work in the U.S., I have no problem with it. But if you just come here and snatch jobs, I mean, I don't like it," he said.

"I don't see blacks for example waiting on the corners, looking for jobs," said business owner Luis Salinas. Like many latinos, Salinas fears the ad campaign may encourage a racial divide between blacks and latinos. "It's gonna grow more and more of what we already have, communities raising their flags against immigrants," Salinas said.

The head of the NAACP (web|news) Washington's Bureau, Hilary Shelton, agrees, calling the ads "scare tactics". "What we're experiencing in our country Tuesday because of ads like this, because of mindsets like this, are really hate crimes being committed against Hispanic Americans."

Shelton says a broken immigration system may have cost some blacks their jobs, but it's unfair to blame the immigrants themselves."The focus should really be on the federal government fixing the problem," Shelton said.

The controversial ads are already running in major cities nationwide and are expected to hit the D.C. area in the next few months.

The most recent numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics show the black unemployment rate in D.C.at 10 percent. Nationwide, it's nearly nine percent.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0308/502666.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

I'm so glad ad's like these are being put up! I think that alot of african americans don't know what to do about this problem and don't want to speak up because they might look racist. It is not the illegal that came here looking for the job who is at fault, it is our own government. I'm not letting the illegals off the hook completely though, they do alot of underhanded things by sneaking into the country and stealing people's identity and using governmental subsidies. They are not all ANGELS like the open borders would like everyone to believe. I mean without all the illegals what purpose would the open border organizations have? They would be out of a job too!

(((("I don't see blacks for example waiting on the corners, looking for jobs," said business owner Luis Salinas. Like many latinos, Salinas fears the ad campaign may encourage a racial divide between blacks and latinos. "It's gonna grow more and more of what we already have, communities raising their flags against immigrants," Salinas said.))))

Legal American citizens shouldn't have to beg on street corners, Salinas.

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    What I want to know is what took the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation so long to get busy and represent Americans...... It's About Time don't you think
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I have been watching the news coverage regarding behavior of the NAACP on the issue of immigration, illegal aliens and amnesty I find it is disappointing.

The NAACP leadership is seeing themselves as the brothers of the Latino leadership and they are leaving working class American Black citizens behind. The per centage of the Black population here illegally from Africa and the Caribbean is not as high as the per centage of the Latino population.

The leadership of organizations like LULAC, NCLR and MALDEF see it as in their interest to have every open position filled by Latinos. It does not matter if they are living in Mexico or in Latin America now and would be illegal. The more problems that these organizations constituents have with a family members immigration status the more dependent they are likely to be on the organization.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by CindyB
    (((("I don't see blacks for example waiting on the corners, looking for jobs," said business owner Luis Salinas. Like many latinos, Salinas fears the ad campaign may encourage a racial divide between blacks and latinos. "It's gonna grow more and more of what we already have, communities raising their flags against immigrants," Salinas said.))))

I agree with you, CindyB, but it goes farther than that. When a black or latino or whoever is hired off the street, it ususally means there is going to be work performed under the table with no tax to pay. This isn't the American workers' modem of operation, but it is for the illegals. This is where Luis Salinas doesn't know what the heck he is talking about, not to mention American laws. He would be better off shutting his mouth or at least become familiar with our laws.

These billboards are good. The Blacks must take a stand against illegal aliens because by not doing so they allow the illegals the opportunity to bundle the Blacks and the illegals together as if they were one group. They are not. The Black community is being destroyed by the illegals. Not only do the take their housing and jobs but they shoot them for no reason. Black Americans are citizens and have rights that illegals do not.

MORE.........MANY MORE BILLBOARDS..........PLEASE.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyB

You took the words out of my mouth. Where does he get off thinking he can measure someone's interest in acquiring work by whether or not they stand on the street corner? Good grief.
    Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed.
    Always aim at purifying your thoughts and everything will be well.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Business owners like Luis Salina are LIVING examples of HISPANIC racism. Racist Hispanics complain about WHITE and BLACK racism, but THEY are JUST as BAD and maybe even at times WORSE! About a year ago, I related to Mr. Loya the outrage committed in August 2005 against my Brazilian friend, then a teacher of English to immigrants, by a racist Mexican college professor who DERIDED her for being a BRAZILIAN. When she defended herself and her culture, he had her FIRED! I HATE to say this, Mr. Loya, I confessed, but Hispanic racists are among the WORST racists I have EVER seen! Imagine my utter ASTONISHMENT when Mr. Loya AGREED with me! Sensing my bewilderment, Mr. Loya pointed out that racist Hispanics are an EMBARRASSMENT to DECENT Hispanics like his family and their good friends the Compeans. WE don't like them ANY more than YOU do, he conceded.