Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Has anyone else heard of this? I'm feeling some descrimination here! This is exactly the reason we need to make English the offical language.
    I was discriminated against a dozen times. I agree.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I've had the same problem, one of the reasons I left Colorado is because I could not find work (not that Calif. is any better but at least I don't have to worry about freezing to death) many of the jobs I could have done required you to be bilingual and so when I was asked I told them I was, when they asked what other language I spoke I told them Scots gaelic, I do speak and read enough spanish to get by but I wasn't about to tell them that. I was never hired!
    This is discrimination against Americans who want work!
    I am too old and have some problems from old injuries to do what I used to but I still have skills that could be put to use but I can't because I speak english!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

In 2003 I left the Northern Plains to join my four kids and two g-kids in the Seattle area. Previously, I had never NOT gotten any job I applied for over the years. But after applying everywhere for over a year, follow up calls and re-applying I had not a single call or job offer! The company my daughter works for needed someone to do a simple job that could be done at home so I grabbed it, as it paid $50/week. That eventually worked into having one day a week added to the at home work and then 20 hours a week, 30 hours and finally 40 last September. I keep doing the at home work in spite of developing carpal tunnel, because my olderst daughter lost her job a year ago January when the store she managed closed. My oldest son and I have kept her fed and sheltered since. She's bright and talented but has a completely American name and doesn't speak Spanish.

Here's the kickerand I didn't know this at first) I'm working for a company that has knowingly hired illegals in the past by telling them to "bring another number" if the first SS# isn't valid. That practice has stopped since I directed my daughter(office manager) here but it's pretty obvious to me that most of the new applicants are fresh from the border but their SS#'s are "valid". Of course, I'm the only one noticing. Most don't speak much, if any, English and I refuse to speak Spanish even tho I know a little.

I need this job! Thanks to a fellow ALIPAC-er, I've been able to let go some of the stress and guilt about working where I do. And I will keep emailing, calling and faxing.
    Americans First!

It's even worse than you may imagine. I used to do contract work for temp agencies for the duration of about 3 years. Stupid me did not take advantage of the opportinuty to utilize the temp agencies' resources to add skills to my resume. Luckily, I got a full time job anyways.

Back to the point, there's a new law (I think it might be local) that allows people who work for temp agencies a supposed advantage. If a person is working a job for a temp agency and the job ends, the temp agency must find a new job for this person within 3 days. If not, the person is then allowed to collect unemployment. This may sound great in theory (I know it would have saved me all kinds of trouble), but the reality is an increased pressure on temp agencies, which is relieved by the people they employ.

Before I knew about this law, I refered family and friends to temp agencies to help gain experience and possibly a foot in the door at a good company. After this new law went into effect, the temp agencies will no longer hire anyone who walks in off the street with a resume in hand. They are limited as to how many people they can hire by the demand for work in the area. Also, I am sure their rates have increased in order to satisfy revenue needs. This, in turn, discourages companies from hiring outside work. They dump the workload onto their already overworked employees.

It's like a chain reaction that hits all working Americans.

I recall doing some independent work (installs and service calls) in between temp jobs just a few years ago. I quit doing that after I lost out on a big job to illegals. The guy even told me that he was going to try to save money by giving the second half of my job to "a bunch of Mexicans". I don't blame him; he was only trying to cut costs. I don't blame the Mexicans; they were only competing in the job market. I blame the system who allows persons who illegally enter this country to remain as residents and compete with me for work.

This is discrimination against Americans who want work!
    The problem is as an American Citizen the employers would have to follow labor laws with regards to wages, overtime and many other facets including workers comp insurance. I have been told by some construction worker friends, that in that industry illegals are treated like coolie labor. Substandard wages, NO overtime and if they get hurt on the job, they just dump them infront of the nearest emergency room with the admonishment that if they tell the hospital about being on the job the company will turn them in to ICE. There are many employers today that are more than willing to use and abuse folks that are here illegally and want to work. These employers are reminicent of the slave owners of the old south, sociopaths that rationalize their treatment of illegal workers by saying that it's better than where they are from. How do they know, low pay drives many of them here, just who would be happy living under a park bench covered by a tarp. I hear that in New Orleans, illegals working to rebuild the city don't even have housing and eat, sleep, deficate and urinate in city parks, living in make shift housing. Closing the borders would effectively prevent many of these folks from being exploited by unscrupulous employers, a noble cause yet when we try, we are called racists....go figure!
    "Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake." -- Louisa May Alcott

Gosh! I'm shocked! I have not been in the workforce for a while. I have worked for a temp agency before so I have a history with them and I score real high on their test. I'm very placeable. I feel pretty lucky after hearing y'alls stories. I know when the economy goes in the toilet, the employers treat you like dirt. It was terrible in the mid 80's.

I was about to go back to work, when the illegals hit the fan. I guess, I know what I get to look forward to now. I learned German in college, so when they ask me if I'm bi-lingual I now know to say "yep".

Maybe we can appeal to others because of our working conditions. I know many-many truckers cheered us on at our rallies. Almost everyone of them honked. I know their industry is hurting.

I'll say a prayer for everyone so you get better pay and you are able to find work. This is so wrong. Americans should not have to take a back seat to people who have no right to be here and are replacing them in the workforce and depressing their wages.

americansunite,
    I've done the job/school thing too. That is not an easy position to be in. I really hope you get back on your feet soon. Just don't give up.

Home, don't feel bad you have to take care of your own the best way you can.

Dixie

I don't agree with having teachers or teachers aides having to know a different language if they are teaching in the US. But as for other companies who hire bilinguals only, I can understand in certain companies such as, along the border in a transportation company that has to deal with people on the Mexican side to negatiate rates and such.

But thats about one of the only kinds of companies I could think of where it would be warranted, legitly.

One thing I dislike about this country is how we cater to certain illegals and people of hispanic descent, by giving a option at the ATM's for English or Spanish. Then you have the caution floor signs that fast food joints put out that have both Spanish and English. Then theres the telephone menu systems of many major corporations that have you select English or Spanish.

Companies profit off everyone and they will do whatever it takes to get customers, even if it means knowingly catering to illegals who choose not to speak English or understand it. And so the only way to fight this, is to take care of the illegal immigration problem in the first place and then make sure the legal immigrants do speak english.

Also, there needs to be more legal avenues for Americans to take when they do get passed up for a job or raise b/c of their inability to speak a second language in fields where the 2nd language is not a required language to speak... Meaning, if you have 900 hispanics and 10 Americans in your school, you should be allowed to teach there, even if you dont know Spanish b/c a US school should only be speaking English in the first place.

Things will change, I can see the writing on the wall now... Everyone who backed the amnesty idea will be scrambling to save their seats come time for elections. Infact, there was one case already where a pro-amnesty politician lost their seat to a anti-amnesty guy who actually was investigated for corruption. And so, in November, the pro-amnesty folks will be shaking in their boots and many will lose their seats.

Nice to be an American when we have the power to vote out traitors. Shame we can't get rid of some of them now though and replace them with real Americans...

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    To me that is descrimination against Americans.

Dixie

Also, my uncle just called me and told me he fussed at the cable company for requesting that he press one for English. He told them that him his family has been in America over 150 years and they all speak ENGLISH!'
    Get over it. How do you know it is "descrimination" (discrimination) against Americans. There are plenty of Americans who have a problem with the English language or who are bilingual. Just because you speak another language, does not mean you are not American. In most countries, people know other languages as it is beneficial overall. If you weren't so insecure about your own education maybe you wouldn't mind. And by the way, based on this post and some of your other posts, you probably shouldn't be so demanding of others learning English, when as an American you don't know the language very well yourself.

California or ground zero of the invasion
    Quote Originally Posted by legalsinceday1
    To me that is descrimination against Americans.

Dixie

Also, my uncle just called me and told me he fussed at the cable company for requesting that he press one for English. He told them that him his family has been in America over 150 years and they all speak ENGLISH!'
    Get over it. How do you know it is "descrimination" (discrimination) against Americans. There are plenty of Americans who have a problem with the English language or who are bilingual. Just because you speak another language, does not mean you are not American. In most countries, people know other languages as it is beneficial overall. If you weren't so insecure about your own education maybe you wouldn't mind. And by the way, based on this post and some of your other posts, you probably shouldn't be so demanding of others learning English, when as an American you don't know the language very well yourself.
    Keep posting condescending stuff like this and you'll find yourself a short timer on the forum.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: An American Struggling to Get a Job

My 35 year old cousin has been looking for work. She has some hotel supervisor and cash handling experience. However, she is lacking in office clerk skills like typing and accounting software. I have been telling her for years, go to a temp agency and get free training. Blah..blah... blah...Naaah..naaah..naaah, what do I know.

Anyway, she is currently out job hunting and she is already at a disadvantage in my opinion. Now, add to the fact, employers are looking for bi-linguals. She tells me, most employers wont hire you unless you are bi-lingual.

Has anyone else heard of this? I'm feeling some descrimination here! This is exactly the reason we need to make English the offical language.

Dixie
    In Wake County, NC, most of the county Human Services job stipulate that if you are not bi-lingual to not apply.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast