It sounds like the race card is being slammed on the senatorial campaign table. One problem with that is: Hispanic is not a race. Throughout all of the Americas there are white, brown, black and, yes, even Asians whose first language is Spanish.

Sharron Angle is taking the heat for a TV commercial that is not airing and was produced not by her but by an independent group, which is telling Hispanics to not vote because Democrats failed to deliver on their promises. She is also being criticized for a commercial she did produce calling Harry Reid the best friend of illegal immigrants and showing dark-complexioned men sneaking across a border.

Speaking to a group of Hispanics in August Reid famously explained, "I don't know how anyone of Hispanic heritage could be a Republican, OK. Do I need to say more?"

He is apparently unfamiliar with the first- and second-generation Cubans of Florida, who are overwhelmingly Republicans.

Angle is also being accused of insensitivity for looking out at a group of mostly Hispanic students at Rancho High and saying some them looked Asian to her. Yesterday, I got an unsigned e-mail from a young man who said he was at the meeting and, in fact, a couple of those present were indeed Asian.

Like most of us, Hispanics are not monolithic. Not all blacks are Democrats. Not all old, white men are Republicans.

In fact, when we asked this question in August in a poll: “Do you support or oppose efforts to stop illegal immigration across the U.S.-Mexico border, including completing construction of a border fence and penalizing employers who hire undocumented workers?â€