Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Another El Paso fact

Just when I thought I'd heard it all I read the following in today's paper.
    This is just a snippet from the article and the quote comes from a Dr. Gabriel Lazar, local podiatrist:

On a scale of one to 10, Lazar gives El Pasoans a four in regards to foot care.

"Most people in other major cities know exactly what a podiatrist is and does," he said. "When you have a foot problem, you go to a podiatrist. In El Paso, we still don't know there is a specialty where all we do is foot and ankle treatment."

Gee....I wonder what kind of people would not have an inkling what a podiatrist was or that there were even doctors who could tend to one's feet?
    Hummmmmm.....I can't imagine.

And then there was this:

Annual Literacy Study Puts El Paso Near Bottom
    Renee Narvaiz/KFOX News Producer

Posted: 7:47 pm MST January 10, 2011Updated: 7:59 pm MST January 10, 2011
    EL PASO, Texas -- El Paso ranks low in the annual list of the most literate cities in America but jumped a few spots from last year.

El Paso received a ranking of 69th out of 75.

The study takes into consideration library services, number of bookstores and educational attainment, among other factors.

Last year El Paso came in last.

El Paso resident Larry Nance said, "I think we probably have the resources in El Paso, I just don't think people take advantage of the resources they have available."

Washington, D.C., tops the list.

Corpus Christi shared the 69 ranking with El Paso, while Stockton, Calif., came in last.