Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Another Issue With Huckabee

Huckabee states "My faith is my life - it defines me. My faith doesn't influence my decisions, it drives them. For example, when it comes to the environment, I believe in being a good steward of the earth. I don't separate my faith from my personal and professional lives."

Thomas Jefferson's "separation of church and state" article was used specifically when the First Amendment to the Constitution was written. How can we be assured that if Huckabee were elected to be our next President that he will be able to separate his religion from making decisions fro the United States of America? Especially when he admits a significant part of his adult life was spent as a pastor and denominational leader. Not only was he a minister he also graduated from Ouachita Baptist University, attended Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, and has two honorary doctoral degrees: a Doctor of Humane Letters, received from John Brown University in 1991, and a Doctor of Laws from Ouachita Baptist University in 1992. His whole life is tied to his religion. Makes me very leary.

While someone on this forum said they have had about enough of Texas politicians, I think we have also had about enough of Arkansas politicians.

How much better it would Mitt Romney be in separation of his religious beliefs and running the country? I have my doubts about this too. Mitt's His great-great-grandfather, Parley P. Pratt, was among the first leaders of of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Parley P. Pratt practiced plural marriage, and went to Mexico in 1884 after an 1878 U.S. Supreme Court decision that upheld laws banning polygamy.

While Mitt Romney doesn't make public statements that his religion will influence his decisions, his life too seems to revolve around his religion. Romney dropped out of Stanford Romney and served in France for 30 months as a missionary for the LDS Church. Once he returned he finished his education at Brigham Young University.

I am certainly not against anyone who is religious but I am very cautious about electing a President who seems to let his religion influence so many of his decisions. Jefferson was so right when the 1st Amendment was written. There need to be a separation of church and state. Otherwise we end up like so many other nations where the Catholic Church etc. influence laws and government.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

Geez oh man...........

There has NEVER been any kind of negative statement/article coming from Massachusetts----or anywhere----- indicating that Romney's religion EVER caused a problem while he was holding office!!!!

Romney's father was elected Governor of Michigan 4 times-----which indicates that his religion NEVER interfered with his political office. And, the fact that Romney won Michigan by a landslide-----also indicates that Michigan citizens had a warm feeling for Romney's father!!!

Plus, Romney won the majority of the votes of evangelicals in both Michigan and Nevada!!!
    "We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works." --- Alfredo Gutierrez, political consultant.

Banned
    I have seen NOTHING in Romney that says his religion would
    influence anything if he was President

Everybody knows that all LDS kids go on missions , whats wrong with that?

Huck it seems can bring full tilt , his religion into the race and nobody
    is slamming him

I've never heard Romney bring it up except for the one speech he gave

Quote Originally Posted by Bren4824
    Geez oh man...........

There has NEVER been any kind of negative statement/article coming from Massachusetts----or anywhere----- indicating that Romney's religion EVER caused a problem while he was holding office!!!!

Romney's father was elected Governor of Michigan 4 times-----which indicates that his religion NEVER interfered with his political office. And, the fact that Romney won Michigan by a landslide-----also indicates that Michigan citizens had a warm feeling for Romney's father!!!

Plus, Romney won the majority of the votes of evangelicals in both Michigan and Nevada!!!
    I like being cautious. I think Romney is probably our best bet. I have lived in places where religion ruled the land. I hope you are right.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

And Romney finished his education at Harvard (after BYU), where he earned a JD/MBA.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex
    Quote Originally Posted by Bren4824
    Geez oh man...........

I like being cautious. I think Romney is probably our best bet. I have lived in places where religion ruled the land. I hope you are right.
    I definitely would NOT worry about Romney's religion at all!!

I can guarantee you that Massachusetts and Michigan do NOT have large Mormon populations-------and obviously his religion did NOT cause a problem in any way!!

The only reason that Romney even brought up his religion-----was because both Huckabee and McCain were personally attacking him on it-----because they have NOTHING else to attack him about!!!
    "We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works." --- Alfredo Gutierrez, political consultant.