Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith1338
    Another one bites the dust
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm not all that familiar with the meaning of the term, but isn't this what's called, "race baiting?"
    bigot: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

I call it voluntary stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by ldydrake
    I'm not all that familiar with the meaning of the term, but isn't this what's called, "race baiting?"
    bigot: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

I call it voluntary stupidity.
    Thank you ldydrake for the definition, but, the term I was talking about was the term, "race baiting," not the term bigotry.

I put an extra comma in the above for Observer's benefit because I know he likes stuff like that.
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

DD and your minions. Many of us at least I can speak for myself have friends that are LEGAL IMMIGRANTS. There is a big difference here! These people (my friends) that came to this country waited on lists for years to become a U.S. citizens, learned english, learned American traditions and culture without totally trying to take over and latinize or push their homeland cultures on everyone else the U.S., they don't have groups regarding their nationality as "THE RACE", they don't have gangs or belong to gangs, they respect the country and its people and our thankful to be here. They assimilated in their existing neighborhoods, etc. They all came over here LEGALLY and went through the PROPER channels.

All the undocumented illegals looking for amnesty are screwing over the people who have been waiting years and years to become legal upstanding citizens!
    "What part of illegal don't you understand?"

patbrunz, yeah I apologize for that. I got a little anxious there, hehe.

race-baiting: the making of verbal attacks against members of a racial group

(kinda surprised it was in the online webster dictionary)

I put an extra comma in the above for Observer's benefit because I know he likes stuff like that.
    meh, i'm a fiesty and stubbern American and now i'll make mis takes just cuz i'm free to do so!

Ok, seriously now. With all this talk about "race" and "bigotry" and whatnot, I think I really like my "voluntary stupidity" term. I mean, I thought "ignorance" would fit, but then I realized that "ignorance" isn't always voluntary!

ldydrake
    I love your VOLUNTARY STUPIDITY phrase and it fits so well!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It does when you think about it, huh? Hehe.

patbrunz, yeah I apologize for that. I got a little anxious there, hehe.

race-baiting: the making of verbal attacks against members of a racial group
    No problem, ldydrake. Thanks for the definition.

I guess the term I was looking for to describe what Observer was doing was, "playing the race card."

According to Wikipedia:
    Playing the race card is an idiomatic phrase, referring to an allegation raised against a person who, the accuser feels, has unnecessarily brought the issue of race or racism into a debate so as to obfuscate the matter. It is a metaphorical reference to card games in which a trump card may be used to gain an advantage. The allegation tends to stir up controversy.

The phrase is used in two contexts. In the first, and more common, context, it alleges that someone has falsely accused another person of being a racist in order to gain some sort of advantage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_card

I would say this adequately describes what Observer did with his accusations of bigotry.
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

patbrunz,

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, it's been my experience that people who "race-bait" also seem to suffer from a case of "voluntary stupidity" because they are presented with factual information and then completely ignore it. Maybe it's just me?

patbrunz,

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, it's been my experience that people who "race-bait" also seem to suffer from a case of "voluntary stupidity" because they are presented with factual information and then completely ignore it. Maybe it's just me?

So true