Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Appalling plan threatens our Social Security

Appalling plan threatens our Social Security
    Times letters
    Article Launched: 04/03/2008 11:05:23 AM PDT

What's happening could have enormous implications for all Social Security beneficiaries.

Some members of Congress want to pass an illegal immigrant amnesty plan before the 2008 elections. They're even planning to sign a Social Security treaty with Mexico that would award Social Security benefits to as many as 12 million illegal immigrants who have used fake Social Security numbers or forged ID cards to work illegally.

Pro-amnesty sympathizers must realize such a plan would corrode the American system and threaten the foundations of our social and political structure.

"Illegal" means prohibited by law. If I, an American citizen, did something illegal, I'd face prosecution and conviction.

I believe some 2008 presidential candidates seek political gain at any cost, by making promises of amnesty to illegals. That's appalling!

In 1919, my father legally came to the United States from Italy. Immigration laws of the time meant my mother had to wait her turn to enter this county; it was seven years before they were again together.

They strongly believed in obeying the law, hard work and learning the English language, and the ways of their new country, though they never forgot their roots.

Let's protect our Social Security system for all law-abiding citizens.

Marie Lecce-Southwick

San Pablo

http://www.contracostatimes.com/opinion/ci_8797387
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

All of this makes me happy that Texas teachers (which I am ) do not have to pay into the Social Security system. However, our TRS system is in just about as bad of shape due to mismanagement and bad investments.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

"They strongly believed in obeying the law, hard work and learning the English language, and the ways of their new country, though they never forgot their roots."

This what made America a strong and rich country, and following these values is the only way to bring our country back from the brink of total Collapse.
    “In questions of power…let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” –Thomas Jefferson

Social Security Trust....

The social security trust is bankrupt..has been for years. It is FULL of IOU's from the g'bment "borrowing" money from it which has never been paid back. Now it is being said Medicare is also bankrupt. Thank the Federal Reserve .

Re: Social Security Trust....

Quote Originally Posted by jazzloversinc
    The social security trust is bankrupt..has been for years. It is FULL of IOU's from the g'bment "borrowing" money from it which has never been paid back. Now it is being said Medicare is also bankrupt. Thank the Federal Reserve .
    Yes, there's a .pdf on the GAO site that says taxes will have to go up 35% at a minimum just to meet the current obligations, and that's with a scenario that includes cutting a lot of costs.

Also, when you see the National Debt number, be aware that the future obligations (ie - the money that shold be in savings but was spent) aren't included. Congress said they didn't have to. Because all they have to do is change the law and end the benefit, they weren't going to count it as a "real" liability.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." -- John Quincy Adams