Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

DJ

Arizona, Tucson At Odds Over Ethnic Studies

Arizona, Tucson At Odds Over Ethnic Studies
    By Mary Ann Zehr

Arizona education department officials and administrators for the Tucson Unified School District are set to do battle over whether the school district should continue to offer its ethnic studies, particularly Mexican-American studies, in light of a new state law tightly restricting such classes.

Tom Horne, Arizona’s superintendent of public instruction, turned up the heat on the controversy by sending a letter Aug. 3 to the superintendent of Tucson Unified threatening to withhold 10 percent of basic state aid to the district when the new law goes into effect Dec. 31. That law bars public schools from providing classes that are designed for a particular ethnic group, that advocate ethnic solidarity, or that promote resentment toward a race or group of people. ("Studies Take Aim at Policies on English-Language Learners in Arizona," May 19, 2010.)

Mr. Horne contends that Tucson Unified’s ethnic studies courses match the kind barred by the law, House Bill 2281. He declared his department’s intention to withhold funds in the letter to John Carroll, the superintendent of Tucson Unified. Mr. Horne also formally requested that the superintendent videotape all of the ethnic studies classes in the district “in their entiretyâ€

Banned
    They are teaching treason and sedition

[quote]He said critics of multicultural education often don’t understand that the goal of ethnic studies is “to unite Americans, not to divide them, ... to help kids get more-positive views of all groups.â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

DJ
    This is the kind of stuff educators are sent all the time. They get this point of view as TRUTH! When you are a professor and feeling strongly that there really is an invasion and want illegals tossed out, you have to be an "underground" warrior! I send info to my like-minded friends. When I get something from the university world that you all need to know (and spread!), I post it here. I appreciate having this place as my "forum."

As long as this country tolerates ethnic American citizen cataloging in hyphenated terms, i.e. African-American, Mexican American, Asian-American, we are right back to what Theodore Roosevelt was battling a hundred years ago. He mentioned the term specifically in one of his speeches warning what would happen if the practice did not cease.....and here we are.

As a former school director, but not totally familiar with Arizona education laws, I can share what would happen in my state. The office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction has the jurisdiction over mandating uniform programs within his/her state. Violation of mandated rules can/may result in withholding of funds to school districts that are not in compliance. School board members are normally elected by the voters for a four year term. School board members (directors) hire superintendents. Superintendents are contracted for term/terms. If a Superintendent openly/purposely violates his/her contract they are subject to dismissal for breach. The question here is what kind of collective mindset of school board members does Tucson have? Rarely will a Superintendent go out on a limb like Mr. Carroll appears to have done unless he is very confident that the school board will back him.