Ben Carson: Trump's Right on Illegals, So 'No Sanctuary Cities'

(Andrew H. Walker/Getty Images)
By Melissa Clyne | Wednesday, 08 Jul 2015 07:56 AM

Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson agrees with Donald Trump that sanctuary cities — which prohibit the use of municipal funds to enforce federal immigration laws and do not allow police to ask about a person’s immigration status — should be outlawed.

"No sanctuary cities," the retired pediatric neurosurgeon told a crowd during a Politics & Eggs campaign event Tuesday at the Village Inn in Bedford, New Hampshire, The Daily Signal reports. "I think that’s ridiculous.

"You have to turn off the spigot that dispenses the goodies," he said, referring to government handouts to illegals. "If there’s nothing for them to come here for, they’re not going to risk coming in here."

The topic of sanctuary cities has been in the forefront since Monday’s arrest of Francisco Sanchez, an illegal immigrant who has seven felony convictions and has been deported five times but repeatedly returned to the U.S., according to The Guardian.

Sanchez, 45, is charged with murder in the shooting death of 32-year-old Kate Steinle as she walked along San Francisco’s Pier 14 with her father.

ABC News reported that Sanchez has served federal prison time and was on probation in Texas at the time of the shooting. He told a local ABC affiliate that he kept sneaking back into the U.S. from his native Mexico to look for work and that he knew San Francisco was a sanctuary city.

In March, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) turned Sanchez, a repeat drug offender, over to San Francisco authorities and requested that ICE be notified prior to Sanchez’s release so they could take custody.

The San Francisco Sheriff’s Department dropped the drug charges against Sanchez and let him go without alerting immigration officials.

Real estate mogul and GOP presidential candidate Trump ignited a firestorm of controversy during his June 16 announcement when he characterized Mexicans who come to the U.S. illegally as rapists, drug-runners and criminals.

Despite the backlash — several corporations have cut times with him — Trump is not backing down.

In New Hampshire on Tuesday, Carson said Trump’s delivery "is perhaps a little inflammatory," but the message is spot on. Carson said he too has been known to be incendiary, but has worked on dialing it down.

"I learned that a few months ago, to tone down the rhetoric," he said. "That’s why you haven’t heard me do that much lately because I want people to hear what I’m saying."

Trump speaks the truth, Carson told reporters covering the New Hampshire event, and his brash style is his trademark, The Boston Herald reported.

"He is who he is," said Carson. "Could you imagine a Donald Trump who’s, like, nice, mild-mannered and says everything in a very peaceful — it wouldn’t be Donald Trump."

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ben...#ixzz3fOnNIwgw
Urgent: Rate Obama on His Job Performance. Vote Here Now!