Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bill would require Houston police to enforce immigration law

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4012578.html

June 29, 2006, 2:15PM
    Bill would require Houston police to enforce immigration laws

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Houston police would have to start enforcing federal immigration laws or potentially lose millions in crime-fighting money under a local lawmaker's measure that passed the House today.

An appropriations bill that cleared the House contains an amendment by Rep. John Culberson, R-Houston, that would cut off federal law enforcement funds to cities that have what Culberson characterizes as "sanctuary policies" for illegal immigrants.

The measure will not become law unless it clears the Senate and is signed by President Bush.

Houston — which announced an $18 million federal crime-fighting grant about the time the bill passed the House — meets Culberson's definition because police do not ask the immigration status of residents they stop or detain
    Title 8,U.S.C.§1324 prohibits alien smuggling,conspiracy,aiding and
    abetting!

This is beyond sad. We have to get the House, the Senate, and the dang President to sign legislation in order to get HPD to do their jobs.

How many of you out there also share the luxury of not having to do your jobs without an act of Congress?

I am still excited though. If and when this passes, I will greatly enjoy seeing my city cleaned up rather than the continuation of bored cops harassing my fellow citizens on the streets for rolling stops and expired tags.

If I can verify the exact date when HPD will start doing their jobs, I will try to take the day off work, so I can swing by the "Westpark Job Pool" to take pictures of the illegals sweep.

Houston police would have to start enforcing federal immigration laws or potentially lose millions in crime-fighting money under a local lawmaker's measure that passed the House today.
    I don't know exactly what police are allowed to do or not where illegals are concerned, and maybe it varies from state to state but I thought their hands were pretty much tied? I thought all they could at most is maybe detain but at least call Immigration to deal with them?

So, I'm left wondering if this is saying the police aren't doing their jobs, or if this is just the first in what will become federal regulation for all states, thereby actually giving and forcing upon them more authority to deal with the illegals? Would this work in a way like busting drug dealers, where the police are expected to "weed out" illegals like they would dealers?

Would this work in a way like busting drug dealers, where the police are expected to "weed out" illegals like they would dealers?
    Local police enforcing immigration law is supported by over 81% of American citizens.

Citizenship would be checked on those caught commiting crimes. When an illegal commits a crime, they will be deported on the other side of a secured border.

We secure the border so they can't come back.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Oh believe me, I'm all for this happening. I just wasn't sure what they were allowed/supposed to do.

On Lou Dobbs last night they said, the only presents of national guard that has been seen on the border so far is in the Yuma area, the rest of the border is still as porous as ever.

Because the government doesn't think it's the National Guard's job to ... guard the nation.

A couple of years back, activists here in CA. tried to pass a bill were illegal would no longer get stopped at check points for DUI`s driving without a license or insurance or any moving violation which would basically give illegals immunity to the traffic laws (which they think they already have)
    REASON: Get this! Because the were crying about losing too many cars at the check points!!!
    ------------------------

One less car is one less crash is one less fatality, and, ultimately, one less insurance claim you an I, American Citizens, have to pay! I speak from personal experience.
    Title 8,U.S.C.§1324 prohibits alien smuggling,conspiracy,aiding and
    abetting!

I am still excited though. If and when this passes, I will greatly enjoy seeing my city cleaned up rather than the continuation of bored cops harassing my fellow citizens on the streets for rolling stops and expired tags.

-badthingsman

Oh yes, we wouldn’t want the police to be burdened with enforcing the rule of law, would we?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast