Border Patrol shoots man in Escondido

By:North County Times -
May 31, 2007

ESCONDIDO ---- An early-morning shooting involving a Border Patrol agent killed one person in northern Escondido on Thursday.

A border patrol agent shot a suspected smuggler around 12:36 a.m. Thursday near Mountain Meadow Road and Champagne Boulevard, near Deer Springs Road.

Traffic in the area is being diverted as customs and border patrol officials, the sheriff's department and FBI participate in an investigation.

Border Patrol says the shooting occurred after agents pulled over a vehicle occupied by 13 suspected undocumented immigrants. Authorities say at some point an agent chased a suspect on foot and eventually caught him.

The suspect allegedly became upset and attempted to grab the agent's gun, prompting the agent to open fire, killing him. Authorities say no Border Patrol personnel were injured during the incident.

Don Boomer/ Investigators check out the scene near the body of the shooting victim by a Border Patrol officer in a eucalyptus grove in the southeast corner of Centre City Parkway and Mountain Meadow Road in Escondido on Thursday.

Investigators were on scene near a Park and Ride at the interesection of Champagne Blvd. and Mountain Meadow Road where an initial contact between a Border Patrol agent and a hispanic male took place. The man then fled to a eucalyptus grove in the southeast corner of Centre City Parkway and Mountain Meadow Road where he was shot and killed by the agent on Thursday.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/05 ... _31_07.txt

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.
Dickey wrote on May 31, 2007 8:16 AM:

" Thank you to the Border Patrol agents who are doing the hard work of protecting us. This is a prime example of what problems have arisen due to our soft borders. Violent people (smugglers) are moving in and causing trouble. Enough said. Let's hope what happened w/ Ramos and Campion (other Border Patrol agents who are currently jailed for protecting our borders) doesn't happen to this brave Agent. Our country men shouldn't be punished for doing their jobs. Thank you for protecting us!!! "

The Poor Agent wrote on May 31, 2007 8:16 AM: " will probably end up in prison with his fellow agents for doing his job. When are we going to get tough and close the border to stop this. Our PC correct, waffling politicians are causing more and more to illegally enter this country in the hopes of Amnesty. Close the door and save lives!! "

Ron of Knightwatch wrote on May 31, 2007 8:28 AM: " We got Mexicans in every field and canyon nowadays. "

Nice headline wrote on May 31, 2007 8:32 AM: " You people really don't get it, do you? "

Real Citizen wrote on May 31, 2007 9:02 AM: " Once again, are these the jobs no american will do? I hope the border patrol agent is ok. "

Frida wrote on May 31, 2007 9:04 AM:" Terrible news! Stop the killing! "

Who Didn't See This Coming? wrote on May 31, 2007 9:05 AM: " Well, I wonder if there will be more smugglers trying to get as many illegals into the country as possible before this idiotic amnestia bill passes? With no way to tell how long any of these people have been here, there will be a tremendous "run for the border". "

ESCO wrote on May 31, 2007 9:07 AM: " Whats Happining in my town of escondido shootings left and right escondido needs to be cleaned up. DOVE we need a violence free escondido "

WWJD wrote on May 31, 2007 9:08 AM: " What would Jesus have done? "

civil Liberterian wrote on May 31, 2007 9:12 AM: " What about this man's civil rights? "

Truly a tradgedy wrote on May 31, 2007 9:16 AM: " This truly is a tradgedy, but not just because a person died, but because it had to come to this. Mr. President, can you please tell me how this is good for our country? Your actions have given these criminals the courage to fight with our agents! Enough is enough! This vehicle shouldn't have ever been allowed to even be in this country transporting illegals! CLOSE THE BORDER DOWN! Please; everyone who reads this should contact your local, and state representatives and complain about this stupidity they are projecting on us. From what I read in these comments, the only people that are for this are people who are willing to sell this country out! "

UNKNOWN wrote on May 31, 2007 9:23 AM: " TO ALL THOSE PEOPLE THAT THINK THAT BY KILLING A ILLEGAL ALIEN ITS A GOOD THING TO DO YOU ARE WRONG YOU WOULD NOT LIKE IT IF ONE OF YOUR FAMILY GETS KILLED RIGHT? IF IT WASN'T FOR THOSE PEOPLE SO CALLED "ILLEGAL ALIENS" YOU WOULD NOT BE EATING LET ME SEE YOU WORKING ON THE FIELDS. KAREN,DW AND ALL THE PEOPLE THAT THINK THE SAME WAY! "

GREAT JOB!!!! wrote on May 31, 2007 9:24 AM: " Thank you to the Border Patrol for doing their jobs so well. I hope you are able to break up more of the smuggling rings. We really don't need anymore ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT CRIMINALS in our country. ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS are ALL CRIMINALS because they are breaking our laws. The People get it... hope the legislators do... and SOON. There is NO hope for Bush he is obviously clueless. "

Good Job. wrote on May 31, 2007 10:01 AM: " hope this doesn't go the way it did with those two border patrol agents who shot the drug smuggler in the butt. Those guys should have been given a medal instead they are doing time in prison. What the heck is this country coming to when the crimanals are being rewarded and law enforcement is being unfairly sent to jail? "

Forgiven wrote on May 31, 2007 10:08 AM: " It's their word against the illegals anyways. They got the right away I guess. "

Dickey wrote on May 31, 2007 10:09 AM: " I posted a comment several hours ago on this topic... did it get throw to the editing floor by the NCT? Editor's Note: See our blog policy. "

yesi wrote on May 31, 2007 10:17 AM: " " i dont believe that an immigrant would have tried to grab his gun while being scared, its a bunch of crap of the border patrol to say that.... "

i cant reed wrote on May 31, 2007 10:26 AM: " I guess u cant spell either because it was a smuggler who grabbed the gun. "YESI" "

Really Unfortunate wrote on May 31, 2007 10:28 AM: " It really is unfortunate that the agent had to take a life, even less unfortunate for the individual that lost his life. I hope when the time come that so many of us so called Christian’s aren't judged as quickly as we are to judge. Say a prayer for all parties involved and try to bring some good to this world! For you probably have done far worst in this lifetime. "

VIVA MEXICO! wrote on May 31, 2007 10:31 AM: " When will the beautiful people of Mexico rise up against the corrupt government that does nothing to stop the suffering of families? "

GS wrote on May 31, 2007 10:32 AM: " If the immigrant had a gun it would be reasonable for him to have gotten shot!"American Hero" that's a laugh! "

to Yesi wrote on May 31, 2007 10:35 AM: " Yes I am sure that the agent woke up that day deciding to kill this guy. You should try out for his job since you are so specially gifted with your long range vision and talent for judging things without any knowledge of that job or apparent expertise in the matter. Now go find a march to attend. "

vivaLosestadosUnidos wrote on May 31, 2007 10:43 AM:" beautiful people of Mexico should stay In mexico if it's so beautiful "

Harvey wrote on May 31, 2007 10:46 AM: " To yesi. Who said the suspect was an immigrant? It could have been a citizen for all we know. Who said the suspect was "scared"? You certainly are quick to criticize the Border Patrol with absolutely no factual information. "

YES NTC is not posting wrote on May 31, 2007 10:46 AM: " comments supporting the Border Patrol AGAIN. Why are we not surprised. I have made two and neither of them were posted but then I DO support the Border Patrol and NOT THE ILLEGAL CRIMINAL ALIENS. "

Terri wrote on May 31, 2007 10:48 AM: " I'm glad the BP Agent is ok. These men and women are well trained and would not just shoot someone for no reason! They are in harms way daily and have to defend themselves the best they can. If that means shooting someone, then so be it! If the guy that got shot was here legally this wouldn't be an issue now would it? "

Good Job! wrote on May 31, 2007 11:04 AM: " Give props to the border patrol! Get the illegals outta here!!! "

BVista wrote on May 31, 2007 11:05 AM: " GOOD JOB! "

Jesus would not have wrote on May 31, 2007 11:06 AM: " tried to grab a firearm from a federal law enforcement officer. I'm sure the illegal alien smuggler never tried to grab a gun from the Zetas, TJ PD, or Federalis. That would surely have resulted in death, too. "

jj wrote on May 31, 2007 11:11 AM: " This is so simple. You try and take ANY law enforcement officials firearm, they have the authority to end your life. Nuff said! "

TO UNKNOWN wrote on May 31, 2007 11:21 AM: " Good name because you just don't know! I bet that illegal had no intentions of "working in the fields". And we all ate quite well before we had 40 million illegals in the U.S. Bravo to the Border Patrol. "

WOW wrote on May 31, 2007 11:25 AM: " This Border Agent was defending himself from a criminal (aka illegal). To those who whine about Christian values: Is it righteous to violate the law? Lawlessness is not a Christian value. "

Blaze1over wrote on May 31, 2007 11:28 AM: " I seriously dislike the border patrol! ugh "

FOCAL POINT wrote on May 31, 2007 11:29 AM: " Frida wrote on May 31, 2007 9:04 AM: Lesson learned. Don't grab for a law officers weapon. If you don't try to take an officers weapon, you get to live. Do the opposite, you get to die. "

FOCAL POINT wrote on May 31, 2007 11:31 AM: " To: WWJD wrote on May 31, 2007 9:08 AM: Jesus would have been crucified. Neither the culprit nor the Border Patrol are Jesus Christ. "

Try Again wrote on May 31, 2007 11:38 AM: " NO Matter who is right or wrong why not shoot someone in the shoulder, arm, leg or any other part to wound. That is why some agent turn to go to jail since the people (jurors), THINK are there any other way this situation could of been taken care off. Try Again...... "

Paul wrote on May 31, 2007 11:47 AM: " Why is the FBI involved with the investigation? The road closure is 395 South of Lawrence Welk and 395 North of Deer Springs, the article is unclear. "

to Viva Mexico.... wrote on May 31, 2007 11:50 AM: " Which corrupt government are you talking about? You mean the one that has trained officers enforcing its laws in going after smugglers (the U.S.) or the "gentle" "non-corrupt" one in Mexico that is now having a surge of decapitated heads of both the good guys and bad guys delivered to whichever entities are offended? (Note to NCT: This what is now happening in Mexico is fact so please leave my comment intact. Thank you.) "

Bob wrote on May 31, 2007 12:12 PM: " These immigrant smugglers have absolutely no regard for human life, be it the people they're smuggling or the innocent citizens who get caught in the middle of their reckless, high speed chases. How many times have we seen load vans running from the border patrol on TV? A majority of the time they end in tragedy. The punishment for these crimes needs to be dramatically increased and enforced. As a footnote to 'viva mexico' please do us all a favor and go back to your 'beautiful country.' That's the best laugh I've had all week. "

Ron wrote on May 31, 2007 12:18 PM: " Illegal aliens don't have civil rights. Those rights are reserved for American citizens. Get a library card. "

TO "try again" wrote on May 31, 2007 12:21 PM: " When you shoot, you shoot to kill. If you are having to shoot someone in the first place, then they should be dead. You can't "aim" for a leg or arm. That's just not the way it works. If you are just trying to "harm" someone you use a tasor or a batton or something besides your gun. "

robert wrote on May 31, 2007 12:25 PM: " Don't you guys have any feeling? Wakeup people, a human died not an animal or a thing.... "

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/05 ... _31_07.txt