Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Border Wars- Ron Paul now favors "amnesty"

May 24, 2011 4:00 A.M.
    Border Wars
    Ron Paul, Gary Johnson push left on immigration amnesty.
    A strange thing is afoot in the little libertarian corner of the Republican presidential primary: a race to the left on immigration.

U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, until recently something of an immigration hawk — no amnesty, no birthright citizenship, no welfare benefits — has, as they say, evolved. Representative Paul was a tough critic of the Bush administration’s “comprehensive reformâ€

Gary Johnson seems to be for open borders w security/ RP not

It is a real mistake to take those two together, because 'libertarian' means such a hodge podge of stuff. Ron Paul is a paleoconservative Constitutionalist who believes strongly in national sovereignty and as far as I can tell, (including Gary Johnson's support of NAFTA and Ron Paul's opposition) Gary Johnson has none of those qualities. That makes Gary Johnson someone many at National Review might like better than Ron and they and some other mouthpieces are pushing Gary in ways that subtly and not so subtly undermines Ron, intentionally. It happens the Constitution is a very limited government, hence libertarian document, and so Ron Paul being a principled Constitutionalist has a large libertarian following. But the big 'L' libertarian types are pushing Johnson because they think valuing sovereignity is 'racist' and besides it gets in their way. So they are slurring Ron all over the place. Gary Johnson as far as I can tell has no interest in American sovereignty issues, is proNafta, etc ---

However, Ron HAS said that AFTER securing the border with more security and making it not a war zone, and AFTER cutting all benefits including housing aid and education to illegal immigrants, and AFTER allowing the states and property owners to police their own land, and AFTER getting rid of funding for sanctuary cities and AFTER implementing rules to deport illegal immigrants who use publicly funded medical care.......he would take the long term, not 'other crime' illegal immigrants here and offer a conditional legalization if they had a sponsor to guarantee they would take no publicly funded services (including education and medical services) going forward. Under that legalization they would never be allowed to convert to citizenship track and never be able to take publicly funded services without being deported, or leaving and starting the process over.

That is to get rid of the huge volume of people who hide the worst sorts in their midst via fear of being checked themselves, and via winks and nods given because so many ARE considered 'the good sort'.

But who else running would even do the first part of his plan, and how long do you think it would take before those elements were in place so he would go along with legalization? One presidential term? If so, who else would offer that? His voting record is consistent, and while he does believe that is the best imperfect solution when you get to the end of it, he also believes (as I sincerely doubt Gary Johnson, who is much more globalist oriented does) that a country has a right to say who can come in and who can't. And he believes the will of the people should govern. Quaint notion.

(Also, I don't think Ron changed his views, but before when he didn't think he had a real chance of winning, he just said what he was in favor of and that he was against amnesty, as he still is, that 'I don't think you can really deport 20 million people' and didn't work out the absolute bottom line.)

And Paul said "It's impossible to deport 12 million people!"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

And I say deporting 12 million illegal aliens would create thousands of new jobs! Both by deporting them and 8 million jobs once they've been deported!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I understand what you are saying. Out of the candidates, whose views better match yours, that you trust to carry them out?

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer
    And Paul said "It's impossible to deport 12 million people!"
    OK, according to this reasoning, it is also impossible to arrest every drunk driver on the road, so does that mean we should not even try to arrest any of them??

Left-wing talking points need to be analyzed for their weaknesses and be promptly refuted and ridiculed!!
    Hmmm. . .if*Americans are so racist, why do so many*people want to live*here??* One would think we wouild need border walls to keep them here under racist rule rather than building walls to keep them out!

"She ain't in the race yet!"

Quote Originally Posted by leewardtack
    I understand what you are saying. Out of the candidates, whose views better match yours, that you trust to carry them out?
    Michelle Bachmann or Rick Perry are now my favorites!! And of course Tom Tancredo!! But he is not running.
    Hmmm. . .if*Americans are so racist, why do so many*people want to live*here??* One would think we wouild need border walls to keep them here under racist rule rather than building walls to keep them out!

Sheriff Paul Babeu is my favorite! And he's a very smart man!

Anyone who support any variation of amnesty will not get my support, period. I must admit, legalization with an asterisk is a new one on me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast