Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Brewer, Homeland Security chief visit Nogales center holding migrant kids

Brewer, Homeland Security chief visit Nogales center holding migrant kids

(Photo: Michael Schennum/Republic)

Story Highlights

• The Nogales, Ariz., detention facility will continue to process unaccompanied migrant kids through the summer.
    • There are no 'permisos,' or free passes for Central American children crossing the border illegally.
    • Gov. Jan Brewer says the federal government can do more to secure the border.

48 CONNECT 4 TWEETLINKEDIN 1 COMMENTEMAILMORE

Gov. Jan Brewer and Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson spoke to at least half-dozen children detained in a cavernous Nogales, Ariz., facility during a tour on Wednesday. They heard about long, dangerous journeys north, money-hungry smugglers who guided them, and a desire to be reunited with families in the United States.
    And though the two represent opposing political parties, they were both moved by the children's plight.
    "I'm a father," said Johnson, a Democrat. "We both recognize we have to do right by these children I believe."
    Brewer, a Republican, added later: "It's frustrating for us to go in there and look into those eyes to see the hurt and to see the trauma they've been through."
    RELATED: Gov. Brewer, feds: Nogales immigration center to stay open through summer
    RELATED: Leger: Soon, we may long for the days of Jan Brewer
    The shelter, which can hold up to 1,100 children, currently houses about 900 children, Johnson said. The kids were first transported to the Nogales facility three weeks ago from Texas, where they overwhelmed centers there.
    The kids are just a few of the 52,000 unaccompanied migrant children apprehended since October. With several months to go until the end of the fiscal year, it's already a 99 percent increase from 2013. Seventy-five percent of the kids are from the Central American countries of Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador. And most are apprehended in southern Texas.
    Brewer said her frustration is rooted in the federal government's lack of effort to secure the border.
    Johnson, however, praised Arizona's progress in securing the border. Apprehensions of migrants have dropped from a peak of 1.6 million on the southwestern border in 2000 to slightly more than 400,000 in 2013. The decrease in apprehensions is seen as an indicator of decreased crossings.
    The Arizona Republic and other media have reported that most of the children are voluntarily turning themselves over to the Border Patrol and are not trying to sneak into the country.
    The federal government's plan to stem the flow of the unaccompanied child migrants isa multifaceted, one that Johnson said includes a surge in resources to process the children, millions of dollars in new funding for Central American repatriation programs and new shelters to house adults who cross with children.
    Johnson also again appealed to the parents of Central American children who would send their children north to the United States. "This journey is a dangerous one and, at the end of it, there is no free pass. There are no 'permisos' for children, for your children, who come to the United States," Johnson said.
    Johnson emphasized that these children do not qualify for any programs that would give them a path to citizenship. He also said children apprehended along the southwestern border will continue to be transported to the Nogales facility throughout the summer.
    Once the children are processed through the Nogales facility and others like it, they are released to the Department of Health and Human Services, which places the kids in shelters run by non-profits. More than 100 unaccompanied migrant children enter and leave the Nogales facility each day, Brewer said she learned from U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials during her tour.
    From HHS care, children can be handed over to parents or family in the United States, but they are put into the deportation process and required to appear for Immigration and Customs Enforcement appointments.
    Johnson could not elaborate on how many children have been released or how many appear for ICE appointments. He said the administration is working to make those numbers publicly available.
    Brewer still had a lot of questions at the end of Johnson's visit: "How many are going to be retained here in Arizona? When are we going to get our border secured? Where and how are we going to reinforce our borders?" and "How long is it going to last?"
    Her questions went unanswered for the afternoon. Johnson left before the end of her address.

video at link below

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/immigration/2014/06/25/brewer-homeland-security-chief-visit-nogales-center-holding-migrant-kids/11389979/

If "tough gal" Brewer is sympathetically touched by what she sees, maybe it is not a good idea for politicians to see inside?

working4change
    I am amazed at her but this was the plan all along to bring in pathetic children to pull at our heart strings and then we couldn't say no to amnesty. It is despicable!

She is between a rock & a hard place. Somebody please tell me why, if the parents care so little about these kids, we should care so much? We are being taken advantage of that's for sure!!

I was 14 years old when Dad put me in charge of the hay criw, 5-7 boys usually 16-19 years old. I heard Mom tell him that he was about to get me killed. Sure enough about a month into the season, I had a slacker, a real slacker..I warned him about 9 am that he needed to do his part of the work,at 9:30 am I fired him.

So many lessons was learned by myself that day. One of them simply being that life was going require tough decisions, that if I wanted hay in the barn, I had to do what was best for the crew, not one individual.

Our government is charged with doing right for Americans, not what feels good to do for unfortunate aliens. I've recognized for some time that it is time to replace persons supposedly representing us that are not performing in good faith. It is time to fire them, and maybe even those that show softness when confronted with reality.

That 19 year old did not think this 14 yer old would stand up to him, I know that I had to, it was my job!

Sorry but I've traveled many places around the world. I have seen hungry children in every country I have been be it a poor or rich country. I have seen poverty, lack of education, lack of medical attention, and governments who just don't give a damn. There are billions of people like this. We can NOT help them all. We can't even help most of them. Our resources are limited and we also have a duty to protect our own first and not disrupt our way of life just because theirs may be harder.

But even more so by giving Amnesty, letting them stay, or even giving hope that someone else will fix their problems for them won't help them at all. These people need a real education dealing and to take a political stand in their own countries. These people need to grow a backbone back home and learn to stand for themselves and depend on themselves. Giving them handouts in any way does NOT help. They need to be taught that they need to solve their own problems rather then running away to cry to somebody else.

The US helps by being an example. That is what the US has meant for the world for centuries. An example of what people can do if they rise up for what they believe is right and force change. This is how the US claimed independence. This is how the US threw down slavery. This is how the US strived for equality for blacks and women. The US made itself an example of what people can achieve when they come together to throw down oppression and demand a chance to succeed with their own 2 hands. However the US is no longer an example of that. That example has been killed by liberal politics. Its no longer an example of what people can achieve when they rise up against those who hold them down.

Its a sad day for the US and I haven't celebrated the 4th of July in a handful of years as I don't see the US as standing for freedom and against oppression anymore. But I earned that right as a disabled veteran who fought for my country.