Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

dman - yup

In his weekly radio address Saturday, Bush called it a strong statement. "Asian Pacific leaders are working with us toward the goal of a freer and fairer global trading system, which will benefit America and other nations around the world."

Free trade losing steam By Mark Trumbull, Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor
    Fri Nov 18, 3:00 AM ET

When leaders of Asian and American nations meet Friday at an economic summit in South Korea, they have an ambitious goal: revive negotiations on a new global agreement to reduce trade barriers - a move that experts say could add some $300 billion a year to the global economy and help lift millions of people out of poverty.

But to do so, they'll have to counter faltering worldwide momentum for free trade.

Trade liberalization has never made easy politics. It inspires no natural upwelling of popular support, and in recent years opponents have become increasingly vocal.

Signs of stalling support for greater economic openness abound, from the angry throngs who greeted President Bush recently in Argentina, to Europeans reluctant to slash agricultural price supports. Even a majority of Americans, in one poll, say they aren't satisfied with the way trade policies affect US jobs, global poverty, and the environment.

Yet behind the doubt and rancor, the foes of globalization are not necessarily gaining ground. The clearer signal is that the center of gravity in the global economy is shifting.

• The US trade deficit. A record imbalance may hinder US support for further trade liberalization. Some experts say the dollar may need to fall to correct the imbalance.

Wake up, AMERICA. They are selling us down the river.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Another reason why I hate Bush so much. He spends more time traveling to foreign nations meddling in other nations affairs then he does in his own country. I'm sick of this phony. I agree Bootsie, America needs to wake up now. Maybe if the sheeple would get off the couch long enough they might start to care and actually do something about this travesty.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

And, dman, it's almost COMICAL that he wastes OUR TIME AND OUR MONEY globe-hopping because NOBODY wants him there either! He is the most universally despised leader of the free world. Honestly, in my lifetime at least, I have never seen ANY leader so mistrusted and maligned. And, I am really sick of hearing him and his cronies condemn OTHER countries for their opinions of him. If you think back to before we went to Iraq, even Great Britain, his only REAL ally, did NOT have support for this war from their PEOPLE. You know--I've given this a lot of thought and, even though I was in agreement with the opinion of the rest of the world about Iraq, it is just an embarassment to hear our leaders slam ALL of these countries that, in the past, have been our allies. These people were RIGHT in their objection to the war. And, because our administration is STILL just too arrogant to even admit it now has caused us to lose VITAL support all over the world. I even excuse FRANCE for not supporting us although I don't think THEIR reasons were purely altruistic! But, the WHOLE WORLD cannot be WRONG and George Bush and Company the ONLY ONES WHO ARE RIGHT.

If you think back to Afghanistan, ALL of the European countries were with us 100% and stood with us UNTIL Bush started his Iraq campaign. I hate to admit it but I really think the rest of the free world was a lot smarter than the people in the US who supported Bush and BELIEVED everything that he and his top administration officials fed us. I guess I can't go so far as to say he LIED to us but I can sure say that they took some very questionable intelligence and blew it so far out of proportion that the end result was unrecognizable.

Instead of the administration LISTENING to our historic allies, they criticized and maligned them. I can stil hear Rumsfelt and his "Old Europe" speech. But, when you think of the European countries who did support us, it was ONLY their leaders who Bush hoodwinked, arm-twisted and COERCED into sending a TOKEN force to Iraq. The people in ALL of those countries spoke loudly and clearly--they felt that going to Iraq was a HUGE mistake and they were RIGHT.

This man is a real danger to our country and I truly believe that, at the end of the more than THREE YEARS that he has to serve, America will NOT EVEN BE RECOGNIZABLE to us.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12