Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

UB

Bush Helping Big Oil Companies Hide Billions

Developing:
    New Bush Scandal Helping Big Oil Companies Hide Billions from Government at Taxpayer Expense
    Submitted by BuzzFlash on Wed, 05/23/2007 - 5:25pm. Analysis
    A BUZZFLASH NEWS ANALYSIS

Corruption within the Department of Interior may have allowed oil companies to improperly save billions at the expense of the taxpayers. The Department’s Inspector General has already made at least two criminal referals to the FBI and the Justice Department, and Congressional Democrats have launched several investigations and introduced new legislation to fix the problem.

In a nutshell, oil companies leasing federal land to drill for oil are required to pay the government royalties based on a percentage of their sales. But under the Royalty-in-Kind program, the companies can pay in the form of oil and gas instead of cash. The problem is that oil prices have increased more than the value of the oil and gas royalty revenues being recieved, meaning that the oil companies are managing to withhold a growing amount of their profits from Uncle Sam.

As you might guess, Royalty-in-Kind was proposed and remains supported by the oil industry, and Bush implanted officials with deep ties to the oil industry in charge of the agency responsible for enforcing the program, the Minerals Management Service (MMS).

In light of the growing scandal, MMS Director Johnnie Burton has already announced that she will be retiring by the end of May. Burton started an oil exploration business before becoming a staunch Republican politician in Wyoming, where she developed ties with Dick Cheney. Greg Smith became the new head of MMS, but he just announced his own sudden retirement Tuesday.

"It appears this Administration uses retirement like some perverse witness protection program," said Rep. Nick Rahall. "Get them out of the spotlight and off the list of in-the-know folks who could provide damaging evidence. Instead of Watergate's 'follow the money,' the Bush Administration has "follow the retirements.' "

Rep. Rahall is chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee, which held a hearing Wednesday on the Energy Policy Reform and Revitilization Act aimed at eliminating the oil royalty corruption and loopholes, among other things.

Much of the controversy surrounds a mistake inadvertantly created during the Clinton Administration that went unaddressed and not publically acknowledged until 2006. MMS Director Burton claimed at the time that she had only recently discovered the problem, but midlevel officials spotted the mistake in 2000 and the Interior Department’s Inspector General and even top Republicans say she either knew or should have known about the mistake as early as 2004.

The delay allowed oil companies to save more money and prevented the chance for easier lease renegotiations since energy prices were much lower at the time.

But wait, there’s more! A former Interior auditor-turned-whistleblower revealed that he was ordered by senior Washington officials to drop a case against the Kerr-McGee Corporation for cheating the government out of at least $12 million in royalties. A jury found the company guilty of underpayment, though the case remains pending in federal court on appeal.

MMS Director Burton "is a person who apparently never saw an oil and gas royalty payment audit she liked," Rep. Rahall said Wednesday. "Under her reign, the average number of annual audits conducted plummeted from 540 to 144. And left on the wayside were billions of dollars in royalty payments owed to the American people." As MMS Director, Burton was responsible for auditing participating companies.

The Bush Administration (and the oil industry) want the percentage of oil and gas royalties to double by 2009 and continue to insist that the Royalty-in-Kind scheme is simpler and more efficient because it reduces accounting and transaction efforts. But it is this very reduction in reporting through a de facto "honor system" that has allowed oil companies to keep more money while also preventing the Government Accountability Office from being able to evaluate whether the program is actually profitable to the government.

"The fact that the Interior Department would now take steps to expand this program defies logic," Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) said.

Evidence that four top Interior officials were paid as consultants for oil companies hoping for contracts inspired one of the two criminal investigations. With indictments pending and more Congressional hearings planned, there is no telling what else will be revealed in this scandal.

A BUZZFLASH NEWS ANALYSIS

http://www.buzzflash.com/articles/analysis/213
    If you ain't mad, you ain't payin' attention = Terry Anderson.

Haven't we all suspected this for years?
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

Good Greif! What next???

Guess that sheds a little more light on today's high gas prices, eh? Big oil is pumping up the volume (no pun intended) so they can squirrel away a little extra cash in case they have to pay up someday! (Just kidding- they'll never make up a dime they owe the taxpayer and we all know it!)

Tax at the pump

Well I do know that every time the price of gas goes up we pay more Tax at the pump

Bush and "our" government are nothing more then SCUMBAGS. They are hell bent on destroying the middleclass here. We need to purge the government of these low life elitist and replace them with patriots. But alas, the apathy many Americans have is the very reason these traitors are allowed to thrive.
    In the last 10 years I have learned a lot, more then I really wanted to know. And the more I learn the scarier it gets. I Now know what they meant when they say "ignorance is bliss". I used to be one of these people. I really used to believe that our government was doing right by the American people.

Our government is TOO big; it has its hands into too many things. I love my country, but that does NOT mean I have to love my government. I am loyal to the U.S of America. But I cannot support a government that is as out of control as the government that we have now. This government is in the process of forsaking its citizens for the interest of the government and not its people. WE have to stop this madness. And the only way that we can succeed is to clean house. ONE STATE AT A TIME.

Sigh, the thing that worries me is the remarks I get from people sometimes regarding our state of affairs. Most will agree that something is not right with the government, but most are not willing to do something to change it. Why is that? Is it because it will disturb their comfy little lives? If it does not impact them directly they don’t want to be bothered by it. I see a lot of Americans who wear these blinders and have no room or time for anything that does not affect them. But what they don’t understand is if they can do it too one American, they will do it too another. A lot of Americans do not realize that they have the power to change the government, and many may not realize it until it is too late to do anything about it.

"If you always do what You've always done, You'll always get what you always got!"

“If you ain’t mad, you ain’t paying attention.â€

It just keeps getting better and better doesn't it, WOW the way some minds work! just when you think what else can they do, they answer our question!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To everybody out there hanging in the backround yes you!! we invite you to...
    let your voices be heard, Its time to get involved, calls, faxes, and e-mails, post at the link below to let everyone know what you are hearing, it helps our leaders to make decisions on what steps to take next. Lets let congress know what real Americans Want!!

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... c&p=363412

Check out Operation Bring it Home also and get your home towns involved!!

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=63288

If anyone can't find information for contacting senators or not sure what to do, just ask, we have lots of nice people willing help you,

HINT: EASY WAY TO HELP OUT.....When you post on another site with good non-racist patriotic Americans leave behind a Momentous message, the link to ALIPAC ( http://www.alipac.us/index.php ).
    Any donations to help keep ALIPAC afloat will be much appreciated
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster
    Bush and "our" government are nothing more then SCUMBAGS. They are hell bent on destroying the middleclass here. We need to purge the government of these low life elitist and replace them with patriots. But alas, the apathy many Americans have is the very reason these traitors are allowed to thrive.
    In the last 10 years I have learned a lot, more then I really wanted to know. And the more I learn the scarier it gets. I Now know what they meant when they say "ignorance is bliss". I used to be one of these people. I really used to believe that our government was doing right by the American people.

Our government is TOO big; it has its hands into too many things. I love my country, but that does NOT mean I have to love my government. I am loyal to the U.S of America. But I cannot support a government that is as out of control as the government that we have now. This government is in the process of forsaking its citizens for the interest of the government and not its people. WE have to stop this madness. And the only way that we can succeed is to clean house. ONE STATE AT A TIME.

Sigh, the thing that worries me is the remarks I get from people sometimes regarding our state of affairs. Most will agree that something is not right with the government, but most are not willing to do something to change it. Why is that? Is it because it will disturb their comfy little lives? If it does not impact them directly they don’t want to be bothered by it. I see a lot of Americans who wear these blinders and have no room or time for anything that does not affect them. But what they don’t understand is if they can do it too one American, they will do it too another. A lot of Americans do not realize that they have the power to change the government, and many may not realize it until it is too late to do anything about it.

Good post! I agree there is something not right about this government.
    It really makes me sick to see how our government went out of the way to prosecute border patrol officers who were just doing their jobs to secure our border...But Bush and the Mexican government want the border left wide open to keep the invasion going. Now we have a border patrol who has a fear of doing their jobs or else they might end up in prison too. This is what Bush wanted all along!

and this really surprises anyone that knows this
    piece of crapola of a president is selling out the country