Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

What is the latest on the Byrd Amend? Any word yet? Please keep us posted here on the bill and amend status.

Great work team. I know the feeling about the hammer and the TV. Ahh CAFTA night!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Oh yea--CAFTA! That was about the closest I've come to complete and utter DESTRUCTION of that sucker!

Mummy--I had made the same decision about campaigning ACTIVELY in 2006. I think your point is well made and well taken. I'm not able to go from door to door but I can sure use the phone and the computer to write letters. I'm sure that primary turnout is real low so that's another thing that we should be working to change. We will have to encourage everyone we know to get out there and vote. I do have a feeling that 2006 is going to provide a few surprises as far as turnout--probably both in the primaries and certainly in the election. I feel that, for a non-Presidential election year, we are going to have a huge turnout in 2006 because I really believe the country is fed up with what we have in Washington now and it's going to be extremely difficult for any of the Republicans to distance themselves from Bush and, believe me, I am NOT going to vote for ANYONE who has supported him BLINDLY like MOST of them have. And, they needn't come up 3 months before the election and PRETEND they haven't swallowed every thing he said hook, line and sinker. I HOPE the American people have better memories than to buy into that. If not, we need to have an all-out effort to remind them!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Bootsie, I agree that people are fed up... It won't take too much cajoling to get people to vote... I just think that most people aren't in the habit of voting in the mid-terms.

We need to get rid of the Bush minions, that's for sure... We're all going to have busted TV sets, if we don't get a regime change in Washington really soon. :P
    "We have it in our power to begin the world over again." (Thomas Paine 1776 "Common Sense") "The cause of America is in great measure the cause of all mankind." ("Common Sense")

You know--since they are literally going to FORCE digital TV's down our throats in another year, we might as well bash our TV's because they will be obsolete once they do that. I think we will have to get some sort of BOX to even be able to WATCH TV. Now, HOW does our government come off thinking that the average American citizen can AFFORD a thousand dollar DIGITAL, or what ever they call them, TV???

Oh yes--we were talking about voting! People really aren't in the habit of voting in the mid-term elections but, unless there is a drastic, and I do mean a REAL DRASTIC, turnaround in Bush's approval rating, I believe people will go out and vote just to get rid of anyone that even appears to agree with BUSH.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

This is the latest from Numbers USA:

The Senate vote is scheduled this afternoon for the Byrd Amendment that would stop the increase of 350,000 permanent skilled workers and family EACH YEAR.

Our hope of a respectable showing (that can help us ultimately beat back the increase with U.S. House support) is based a lot on what happens with Senators from small-population states, such as North Dakota.

We don't have enough activists (and especially high-tech activists) in those states to have made a difference yet. But those Senators also tend not to be nearly as beholden to giant corporate donors.

Would you please phone one or more Senators from those states today (Thursday) before the Senate floor vote in the afternoon?

They need to hear from you who are in the most effected fields. They have been told by corporate lobbyists that the tech companies in states like California, Georgia and Texas just can't find Americans who are smart enough or educated enough to do the jobs. You need to tell them what really is going on.

Below are the Senators who really need to hear from you (the Democrats are especially good possibilities, what with a Democrat -- Byrd -- leading the way and with the AFL-CIO solidly backing him).

DELAWARE
    Biden, Joseph DE (D) 202-224-5042 SR-221 Washington, DC 20510
    Carper, Thomas DE (D) 202-224-2441 SH - 513 Washington, DC 20510

IDAHO
    Craig, Larry ID (R) 202-224-2752 SH-520 Washington, DC 20510
    Crapo, Michael ID (R) 202-224-6142 SR-111 Washington, DC 20510

MAINE
    Snowe, Olympia ME (R) 202-224-5344 SR-154 Washington, DC 20510
    Collins, Susan ME (R) 202-224-2523 SR-172 Washington, DC 20510

MONTANA
    Baucus, Max MT (D) 202-224-2651 SH-511 Washington, DC 20510
    Burns, Conrad MT (R) 202-224-2644 SD-187 Washington, DC 20510

NORTH DAKOTA
    Conrad, Kent ND (D) 202-224-2043 SH-530 Washington, DC 20510
    Dorgan, Byron ND (D) 202-224-2551 SH-713 Washington, DC 20510

RHODE ISLAND
    Reed, Jack RI (D) 202-224-4642 SH - 320 Washington, DC 20510
    Chafee, Lincoln RI (R) 202-224-2921 SR-141A Washington, DC 20510

SOUTH DAKOTA
    Johnson, Tim IL15 (R) 202-225-2371 1541 LHOB Washington, DC 20515
    Thune, John SD (R) 202-224-2321 U.S. Senate Washington, DC 20510

VERMONT
    Leahy, Patrick VT (D) 202-224-4242 SR-433 Washington, DC 20510
    Jeffords, James VT (I) 202-224-5141 SH-728 Washington, DC 20510

WYOMING
    Thomas, Craig WY (R) 202-224-6441 SH-109 Washington, DC 20510
    Enzi, Michael WY (R) 202-224-3424 SR - 290 Washington, DC 20510

Wow, that's 18 Senators.
    They just don't hear enough from us. Please take some time, invest in your future and make some calls in that list.
    Thanks.
    -- ROY
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Lost_Mummy: Numbers USA sent another email with some more info about what you can say when you call:

Call your Senators about their Immigration Grade Cards and how this vote will affect their grades.

Look up your Senators' grade cards here:
    www.CongressGrades.com

Be looking at the Grade Card while you talk to the staffer and refer to the grades the Senator currently has.

Make the point that the Budget Reconciliation bill with its increase of more than 3 million immigrants per decade will dramatically move a Senator's grade depending on which way he/she votes.

If they vote against the Byrd Amendment and in favor of the 350,000-a-year increase, their grade will plummet so badly that it will be difficult to ever recover.

---

You may be helped to discuss better with Senate staffers if you read the following email carefully from this California faxer:

"I watched Saxby Chambliss (R-GA)defend the H1-B visas on CSPAN. He is grossly misinformed about something he is pushing.

"He asserted that American workers were protected by a labor test. This is not true. There is no labor test for the H1-B. The employer can sponsor a foreigner for H-1B status even if qualified U.S. workers want the job. Unlike for most employment-based permanent residence visas, to get your H-1B status an employer need not prove the unavailability of a U.S. worker.

"He said American workers are protected by a prevailing wage requirement. The loopholes in the law allow H1-Bs to be hired for wages much less than the realistic prevailing wage.

"He claimed that changes slipped into the 2004 Omnibus Spending bill protected Americans against fraud in the H1-B. Not true! Those fraud provisions protected the foreigner from fraud but not Americans.

"He claimed that the fact that all H1-B visas were used proved that they are needed. Not true. Employers hire the cheap foreign labor first and Americans get the left over jobs."
    ...............James H. Murphy, North Hills, CA

-------------------

Lost_Mummy: So, call your senators as well as the senators of the low-populated states listed above... Call them early tomorrow on Thu, Nov 3rd, because the vote will be in the afternoon... Tell your senators to vote in favor of the Byrd amendment... But if the Byrd amendment fails, then vote against the whole Budget Reconciliation Act, which goes by the number S. 1932.
    "We have it in our power to begin the world over again." (Thomas Paine 1776 "Common Sense") "The cause of America is in great measure the cause of all mankind." ("Common Sense")

Below is the message I just sent to Senators Chambliss and Cornyn:

I was distressed to hear your speech on the floor of the Senate yesterday DEFENDING the increase in the H1-B visas. You are sadly mistaken if you think this is going to prevent FRAUD against Americans. The only thing this is going to do is to prevent fraud against FOREIGNERS.

This portion of the bill that will allow 350,000 MORE H1-B visas EVERY YEAR is just yet another slap in the face to the AMERICANS that you were elected to serve.
    As an Independent, I can see issues from a very unbiased point of view and what you are doing in this bill is just a travesty. Not only has this Congress supported so-called FREE trade agreements that experience PROVES has done nothing more than ship AMERICAN JOBS OVERSEAS. Now you want to further insult the intelligence of the American people by saying that tripling the number of people qualified for these types of jobs is necessary because there are not enough AMERICANS qualified to do these jobs. This would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.

As an Independent MODERATE who, until 2004, ALWAYS voted for Republicans on the national level, I will NOT support another Republican who has supported these bills that serve to do nothing but cut jobs from Americans.

WHY DO YOU THINK CONGRESS GETS SUCH LOW APPROVAL RATINGS IN THE POLLS?? Have you ever stopped to think that we, the American people, feel like we are being sold down the river by those we elected to REPRESENT us? My bet is that, if a poll was taken today of the AMERICAN PEOPLE, there would be a HUGE percentage of Americans who would say that "free trade" agreements and INCREASING the number of foreign workers brought into the US has been a sellout to special interest groups.

I hope you will reconsider your position and vote for Senator Byrd's Amendment that would strip this portion of the bill.

And, Below is the message I sent to EVERY SINGLE DEMOCRAT ON YOUR LIST!

I am writing to urge you to support Senator Byrd's amendment to this bill that would strip from the bill the provision that would allow 350,000 more H1-B VISAS A YEAR. This is just another slap in the face to the American people. Not only have all of the "free" trade agreements sucked THOUSANDS of jobs out of our country but now Congress wants to being in FOREIGNERS PERMANENTLY to take high-skilled jobs that Americans could take. IT is an insult to the American people for Congress to make the statement that these are jobs that Americans are not qualified to do.

Is it any wonder that this Congress continues to get such low approval ratings in the polls? Americans are just FED UP with special interest groups driving the votes of our representatives rather than their CONSTITUENTS driving their votes.

As an Independent, I will NOT vote for another person who has supported either the outsourcing or INsourcing of American jobs. Call them what you may--these bills are just GIVING jobs away to people from other countries while people in America are either out of work altogether or have been forced to take low-paying, no-benefits jobs when their decent-paying jobs were sent overseas OR taken by a foreigner who the Congress brought in to RAISE FUNDS. This is FALSE ECONOMY if I've ever witnessed it.

PLEASE SUPPORT SENATOR BYRD'S AMENDMENT. Thank you.

Good work, Bootsie!!!

To all, please call the above senators on the list of low-populated states... (See my previous post above this one.)

I called around 10:30 and at that time, I found out that only about 5 people had been making calls... That's 5 people in this whole country of 300 million... So, it's not like there's tons of people working on this one.

And this would increase legal immigration from the current level of 1 million to a new level of 1.3 million... And since this legal immigration would be employment-based, it would be a job killer... By the way, jobs are consistently listed as the #1 issue in polls.

Furthermore, I read somewhere that 40% of illegal immigrants originally came in this country legally... But when their visas expire, our government does not enforce the law which would require them to go back home.

I'm not sure when the Byrd amendment will come up, but I think they moved the vote back a little later than originally planned... Also, Senator Gregg from New Hampshire was pouting that they might have to work on Friday at the pace that things are going. (Whaaa, Whaaa) We need a cry-baby emoticon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsie
    You know--since they are literally going to FORCE digital TV's down our throats in another year, we might as well bash our TV's because they will be obsolete once they do that. I think we will have to get some sort of BOX to even be able to WATCH TV. Now, HOW does our government come off thinking that the average American citizen can AFFORD a thousand dollar DIGITAL, or what ever they call them, TV???
    Senator McCain (for once, doing something right) proposed an amendment just today that would have moved digital TV up till 2008... But unfortunately, the amendment failed... So, go ahead and stick your foot through the TV if the Byrd amendment fails and the Budget Reconciliation Act passes.

Oh wait, the Byrd amendment is being voted on right now... See C-SPAN 2.

Oh--shoot. I'm missing it. bye

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast