Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Calderon tells Bush Mexico needs more

Calderon tells Bush Mexico needs more

MERIDA, Mexico -
    President Bush, working to rebuild strained U.S.-Mexico relations, promised Tuesday he would do his best to get a deeply divided U.S. Congress to change American immigration policies that are hated south of the border. "My pledge to you and your government, but more important to the people of Mexico, is I'll work as hard as I possibly can to pass comprehensive immigration reform," Bush said during a sun-splashed arrival ceremony that opened two days of meetings with Mexican President Felipe Calderon in this Yucatan Peninsula tourist haven.
    Relations between the two border countries have only grown worse since Bush signed a law calling for construction of more than 700 miles of new fencing along the long border the two countries share.
    Calderon has lambasted the fence — a mix of physical and high-tech barriers. He likens it to the Berlin Wall, and argues that both countries need to improve Mexico's economy to lessen the desire to seek work in the United States. Before their talks, Calderon had a tough message for Bush: The United States must do more to solve thorny issues of drug-trafficking and immigration.He was gentler at Bush's side, but with the same message.

"We fully respect the right that the government and the people of the United States has to decide within its territory what will be best for their concerns and security," he said as he welcomed Bush. "But at the same time we do consider in a respectful way that" migration can't be stopped with a fence.

He is right. We have to take away the incentives that bring them here.

At the same time, Calderon said much responsibility lies with his government."Mexicans lose in each migrant the best of our people — young people, working people ... strong people," he said. "We want to generate jobs for Mexicans here in Mexico. Because that is the only way to truly solve the migratory issue."Calderon said "we wish the best of successes" to Bush as he deals with Congress on the politically tricky issue.
    Bush said he respected Calderon's views, and signaled the importance he places on the U.S.-Mexico relationship.
    The two also brought up narcotrafficking — an issue Bush thinks needs to be tackled regionally.
    Calderon also is critical of the Bush administration's efforts to stem the flow of drugs into the United States.
    "We need the collaboration and the active participation of our neighbor," he said Tuesday. "Knowing that while we will not reduce the demand for drugs in a certain area, it will be very difficult to reduce the supply in ours."Security was extremely tight in Merida. Schools are closed. The area around the hotels where Bush and Calderon are staying is guarded by police and surrounded by metal barriers. Before Bush's arrival Monday evening, about 200 people marched through the streets, carrying Mexican flags and chanting "Bush is a murderer and he's not welcome!"
    Gerardo Fernandez, a spokesman for Mexico's leftist Democratic Revolution Party, arrived in Merida on Monday with a bag of toy soldiers he wanted to leave at Bush's hotel so he could "play war and leave the world alone." When he couldn't get through security, he climbed a rusty metal barrier and threw the plastic troops into the secured area. When he first became president, Bush promised that Latin American would vault to the top of his agenda. But after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, the administration's focus was riveted on South Asia and the Middle East. That left many Mexicans feeling neglected by their northern neighbor, and some view Bush's trip as a case of too little, too late.
    Bush and Calderon's two days of talks are meant to better relations, not yield dramatic announcements.
    The two have some things in common. Both went to Harvard University. Both are conservative and pro-business. Each wants to stem illegal immigration. Yet Calderon has a more wonkish and less charismatic personality than his predecessor Vincente Fox, who like Bush, owned a ranch.
    Bush's five-nation tour of Latin America also is acting as a counterweight to Hugo Chavez, Venezuela's leftist leader who is carrying the flag for the leftward shift in Latin America.
    Calderon, a conservative who narrowly won the contested July election, is under pressure from a strong leftist opposition to alleviate poverty affecting half of Mexico's citizens, and refrain from being a subordinate to the more powerful United States. The Mexican leader has said he's not interested in being Bush's front man for battling Chavez' rising influence.
    Brazil, Uruguay, Colombia and Guatemala were the first four stops on Bush's trip that began last week. He returns on Wednesday to Washington, reinvigorated to press Democrats and Republicans to overhaul U.S. immigration law. Bush is hoping that a measure will materialize by August — before spending bills begin to crowd the legislative calendar.
    The biggest hurdle, Bush said, is figuring out what to do with the 12 million illegal immigrants already in the United States. The president has proposed a guest worker plan that would allow legal employment for foreigners and give some illegals a shot at becoming American citizens. Critics say this rewards unlawful behavior.

Bush is a push-over.___

Both are conservative and pro-business
    BOOSH is not a conservative. He's a liberal wearing conservative clothing.
    Calderon, if you are really serious about changing meheeco, then do away w/ the corruption which has a strong hold on your current form of government.
    Oh one more thing, DO IT BY YOURSELF CAUSE WE ARE TIRED OF THROWING AWAY OUR MONEY TO AN UNGRATEFUL ABYSS!

migration can't be stopped with a fence.
    Wanna bet?
    And since we have so many critics against the fence, how about we build it and test out our theory?
    The answer to that is, because they know it will work!!!

Shut up and fix your own damn country calderon...we're tired of you and your government dictating how country should treat your criminal aliens, and how US citizens should be more 'tolerant' of illegals wanting the American dream.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

While Bush is pledging to Mexico and it's people he might remember the Oath of Office the took; "to Secure and Defend THIS Nation".

Quote Originally Posted by cvangel
    While Bush is pledging to Mexico and it's people he might remember the Oath of Office the took; "to Secure and Defend THIS Nation".
    CV, obviously jorge BOOSH thought the oath said, "To secure and defend this continent."
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

And since we have so many critics against the fence, how about we build it and test out our theory?
    That and seeing whether or not our economy crumbles if the illegals are deported.

Let's just give it go and test it out. I'll appologise and go into rehab.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    cvangel wrote:

Would'nt that be nice for a change??

I didn't sign up to help raise any foreigner....we have our own poor and elderly to take care of!

Do I sound harsh? Sorry, that's the way I'm becoming lately.

Bush has created an environment of which I haven't seen in our Country, his plan of forcing this down our throats has, I believe, reached a boiling point.
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

MW
    "We fully respect the right that the government and the people of the United States has to decide within its territory what will be best for their concerns and security," he said as he welcomed Bush. "But at the same time we do consider in a respectful way that" migration can't be stopped with a fence.
    I don't think anyone has ever suggested that a fence would stop 100% of the illegal immigration the United States is currently experiencing, but it will certainly help slow the criminal aliens down long enough for BP to respond. A quality fence along sectors of the border will reduce the manpower needed to patrol those areas. In other words, a quality fence is a force multiplier (I believe that's the terminology some have used). Furthermore, as I've said in the past, a fence will serve as a funnel that will direct illegal immigrant traffic to specific areas. When the traffic is funneled, BP can do a better job of concentrating their efforts in designated areas. For example, if you were to build a stone dam across 2/3 the width of a creek, doesn't it stands to reason that the majority of the water is going to take the path of least resistance (go around the stone dam). Sure, some water will escape through the rocks, but much of the water will be forced around the rocks. This is very simple logic that no one, not even Calderon, can deny.

Locking our house and vehicle doors doesn't always keep criminals out, but it certainly slows them down and acts as a deterrent. A border fence will do the same thing. The only rational argument against a fence is the cost - all other arguments on the issue are a waste of time. Personally, I think the cost of a fence is a small price to pay for the potential benefit that would be gained. Just my opinion...........

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Calderon tells Bush Mexico needs more

Quote Originally Posted by dyehard39
    Calderon tells Bush Mexico needs more...

Mexico needs more? I've got an answer for you senor calderon:

(Image courtesy LouieTheLooper)
    The New America: Of the System, by the System and for the System

I heard Calderon say he missed his people and wanted them to come home. I think we should respect his wishes and accommodate him by sending his people home along with the business that hire his people. I would like to see them go home at any expense. I would gladly give up part of my social security check if it helped to get it done.
    Very few are listening to the American people and what we want.
    I got physically ill when I heard Bush praise Kennedy. And when I heard Gonzales say "he worked for the people."
    These people, Bush, Kennedy, Gonzales are nothing less than traitors in every respect.
    These people do not live in the real world where illegals live, work and do business. I have never in my life seen a more arrogant group of people as the illegals. The Americans I know are respectful, compassionate very grateful and thankful that they are Americans and live in America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast