Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Carly Fiorina again shows she's a RINO

The latest from the "Carly Panders to the Latinos" show here in California ...

Fiorina says she opposes calls to alter the 14th Amendment

The Republican U.S. Senate nominee says she's tough on illegal immigration but draws the line on altering the amendment, which grants citizenship to all people born in the United States.
    By Maeve Reston, Los Angeles Times

August 13, 2010

Republican U.S. Senate nominee Carly Fiorina said Thursday that she opposes calls from some conservatives to alter the 14th Amendment, which grants citizenship to all people born in the United States.

Fiorina sought to appeal to conservative voters on immigration issues during her party's primary this spring, strongly backing Arizona's tough new law on illegal immigration, for example. But she drew the line Thursday at the question of denying birthright citizenship — an issue that could be highly controversial among the state's large number of Latino voters.

"I don't think that's a useful dialogue — I don't support changing the 14th Amendment," Fiorina told reporters after speaking to a convention of California Hispanic Chambers of Commerce in downtown Los Angeles. "I think what we need to do is have the federal government do its job and secure the border and have a temporary worker program that works. And all the rest of it is a distraction and, unfortunately, an emotional distraction."

For years, some conservatives have argued that the 14th Amendment's citizenship provision does not actually cover children born to illegal immigrants. Others have conceded that the amendment, which was adopted after the Civil War to protect former slaves, does apply and have advocated that it be changed.

Neither argument has gained traction in Congress. But Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) reinvigorated the debate recently when he said he was exploring changes to the amendment so that it would no longer automatically give American citizenship to children of illegal immigrants.

Graham, who had been a key player in crafting immigration reform legislation, has not formally introduced a proposal. But during an appearance last week on Fox News' "On the Record with Greta Van Susteren," Graham said he is concerned that "thousands of people are coming across the Arizona/Texas border for the express purpose of having a child" and that he would like to prevent "a third wave" of illegal immigration.

With Graham and others raising the possibility of congressional hearings, the issue could keep immigration at the forefront of campaign debate in the months ahead. Both Fiorina, who will face Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer this November, and Republican gubernatorial nominee Meg Whitman have expanded their efforts to reach Latino voters in recent weeks, and reconciling their overtures with their conservative stands in the primary is proving to be a tricky issue for both of them.

Whitman's critics have accused her of hypocrisy for proclaiming during the primary that she would be "tough as nails" on illegal immigration, then airing Spanish-language ads highlighting her opposition to the Arizona law and Proposition 187, the 1994 ballot measure that would have restricted taxpayer-funded services to illegal immigrants. On Thursday, Whitman's spokeswoman said she opposed any changes to the 14th Amendment.

Fiorina has steered away from the immigration issue in her direct appeals to Latino voters, instead focusing on her plans for tax cuts and helping small businesses. She has never publicly taken a position on Proposition 187—saying that she did not live in the California at the time — and she has been vague about what steps government officials should take to deal with the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants living in this country.

When asked by chamber members Thursday about her stance on the Arizona law, Fiorina did not directly mention her support for it.

"I think it is destructive to our national dialogue and to the trust of people, of all people regardless of our points of view, when the temperature gets so high…. Many people are guilty of that on both sides," she said before going into her usual stump speech about securing the border.

Boxer has called the Arizona law "divisive" and said she believes more Latino voters will share her view than Fiorina's. Boxer's campaign manager, Rose Kapolczynski, said Fiorina's opposition to legislation like the federal stimulus bill would be a problem for her this fall.

"Latinos, like most Californians, are intensely concerned about the economy and job creation," Kapolczynski said Thursday. "Carly Fiorina has opposed every major job creation bill that has been proposed since the recession began."

But some of Fiorina's economic proposals were warmly received at the chamber gathering. She drew applause, for example, for her plan to offer a two-year payroll tax holiday to companies that hire unemployed workers.

Her approach won over John Casas, a Democrat from Moraga who said he had planned to vote for Boxer. "I was impressed with her story," said Casas, who heads an Oakland-based company that handles workers' compensation claims. "Her ideas are very basic and doable."

Mercedes Ortiz, an independent voter who works for an insurance company in Redondo Beach, gave Fiorina points for style and her conversational tone, but said she was supporting Boxer to register her concern about what she described as anti-immigrant rhetoric from Republicans.

Copyright © 2010, Los Angeles Times

Okay, you've convinced me once and for all that Carly is a true blue RINO - I'm just glad I'm not a resident of CA anymore so I won't have to pick from her and Boxer (barf).

Banned
    A 100% rino moron

I said that a few days ago

Meg Whitless is just as bad

Fi or Boxer = NO DIFFERENCE

immigration

It's a shame that everybody thinks that theres a problem with immigration!

The problem is with ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION !
    "Wha daur meddle wi' me?"

Fiorina might be a RINO but she sure the H will be better then Boxer.

It is time to throw everyone out of office who does not do the Will Of The People .

If Fiorina does not do a good job she will be ousted her next election.

We must put fear in the hearts of politicians who Ignore the wishes of their constiuency by voting them OUT.Boxer had her chance and failed miserably.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

It is so very frustrating living in California and having such bad choices....we're damned if we vote for one, and we're damned if we vote for the other! Will anyone ever hear us? Why is it that when the majority votes the government does what it pleases regardless? When ever we travel im so embarrassed to say we come from CA......1 1/2 years till retirement....leaving California behind!

On this one, I agree with USPatriot. Fiorina will get the nod on my ballot.

My family has lived in California for over 35 years and Barbara Boxer has been in office during a period when the Golden State has seriously deteriorated.

Boxer is one of those few candidates (I put either Clinton and Maxine Waters in the same category) wherein I don't care who the opponent is. That person will get my vote. I'd take an Anarchist, a Black Panther or a White Supremacist before I'd vote for Babs. Conspiracy theorist, Vegan, Militia adherent, Marxist ... you name it. How could that person turn in a worse performance than Barbara Boxer?

Banned
    I totally agree Sam , Boxer has to go

But I just think that in 2 years Fi will have to go also.

The trick is that if these idiots don't toe the line you can dump them
    in 2 years.

I still can't believe that they need to pander to get elected though.

Quote Originally Posted by SZinWestLA
    How could that person turn in a worse performance than Barbara Boxer?
    We'll find out, won't we! God willing, come 2016 a real conserviative will challenge La Carly in that year's GOP primary. Hope I'm still around then.

As to your original question above, I think Fiorina did more to actually ship jobs overseas than Boxer. If you look at her time at H-P. What can I say? It will be a Hobson's Choice for Californians in November.