Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Churches support Florida's Brazilians

[quote]Churches support Florida's Brazilians

Evangelical congregations help immigrants maintain their identity and find jobs.

Ana Ribeiro | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    Posted July 5, 2006

With an oversized Brazilian flag stretched out behind him, the Rev. Silair de Almeida urged prayer for people who have been deported or dread a removal order from immigration authorities.

"God is behind your life," Almeida recently told the Sunday congregation at Primeira Igreja Batista Brasileira (First Brazilian Baptist Church) in Pompano Beach. "When God closes a door on us, it's because he has a better door."

As they await changes in U.S. immigration policy, many Brazilians in South Florida fear for themselves or loved ones. Seeking spiritual and social guidance, they flock to Brazilian churches such as Almeida's, where the pastor tells them the stalled debate over immigration in Congress is a test of patience that requires great faith.

For months, Congress has struggled to reach an agreement on immigration. A House bill passed in December would make felons of immigrants who are in the United States illegally. The Senate's bill would offer permanent residence to about 8.3 million people without documents. Both bills would strengthen border enforcement.

There are about 80 Brazilian churches in South Florida, most affiliated with evangelical denominations, said Laine Furtado, publisher of the Portuguese-language Christian magazine Linha Aberta (Open Line).

Furtado said evangelical churches are increasingly popular in Brazil and among Brazilians abroad because, unlike Catholic churches, they do not need clerical approval or chapels to operate. Many are run out of rented spaces in strip malls or other churches.

Igreja Renascer em Cristo (Rebirth in Christ Church), a storefront church in Deerfield Beach, is part of a group that owns 1,500 churches, a TV network and several radio stations in Brazil.

Angelita Vale, the local church's pastor, said her church aims to "restore lives and bring lives to God." But her church offers immigrants information on their rights and obligations in American society and helps them find jobs.

"It's clear that people in general only turn to the church when they have some sort of problem," said Ana Flãvia Zuim Moretto, 25, of Coconut Creek. "I've noticed people getting closer to God because of the immigration issue."

Moretto, who left Brazil for the United States three years ago, calls it a miracle that she obtained a student visa from the U.S. Consulate in São Paulo and a few months ago, a green card. A member and organist at Igreja Renascer em Cristo, she said God helped her prevail.

Before Congress began its debate, Marcelo Gondim, an immigration paralegal in Lighthouse Point, largely met with clients not in the country legally. Since then, he said, many have been legal immigrants requesting information on the possible legislation. Those in the country without documents prefer to wait to see what Congress will decide, he said.

"Their anxiety is enormous, tremendous," Gondim said of Brazilian immigrants. "They feel a lot of uncertainty regarding their future."

While a 2004 U.S. Census survey estimates there are 34,126 Brazilians in South Florida, unofficial estimates put the population at about 270,000.

For many immigrants, Brazilian churches perform an important social function, said João Almino, Brazil's consul general in Miami.

Almeida said the 2,000-member Primeira Igreja Batista provides food, clothing, job networking services and even cars for those who cannot afford them. It also provides space for the Brazilian Consulate, which visits the church on Tuesdays to collect passport renewal forms and other documents.

During Hurricane Wilma, the church served 8,000 meals, he said.

"When Brazilians arrive here in a foreign land, they're open to all kinds of help and also change," Almeida said. "Since the church can offer not only spiritual, but also emotional and social help, they treat the church as part of their family in America."

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel is a Tribune Publishing newspaper.

quote]
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Right now as I read this, I am about to fall out of my seat. Please let me tell you what I know about this first hand.

First of all, I have been "warning" you guys about what is coming to your towns and cities as the illegal aliens from Brazil most likely migrate into other areas. I have asked you to pay attention to the fact that where I live the place is being over-run by these illegal aliens from Brazil.

Number one, I know EXACTLY where this Brazilian Church is located, and this one, the First Brazilian Church of Pompano is in no strip mall. It is a HUGE and modern church. Okay, fine.

This is what is not so fine. We have a friend who has lived for 12 years in a small apartment complex in Pompano Beach. We've known her for about 4 years and we visit her quite often. ( A wonderful woman, who raised her son and he is about to enter graduate school). From our visits with her over the four years we got to know all of the people who live in her small complex, because they've been there anywhere from 10-17 years. All very nice, responsible and wonderful, hard-working and law-abiding Americans.

About four months ago a Brazilian purchased the small complex. He immediately went up $100.00 on everyone's rent. He wanted the higher rent immediately from them all. They complied because as I said, they've lived there for YEARS. To run out and move overnight was not in their nature to begin with. Two months later the Brazilian owner told them he wanted them to pay $100.00/month more and also that he would not give them a lease.

The first American moved out and his one bedroom apartment was filled within one day by several (5 or 6) illegal Brazilians. Three weeks later the next American moved out and again the apartment was immediately filled by 4 or 5 illegal Brazilians. More problems began and our friend told us that they were urinating outside of her bedroom window. The Brazilian owner began to be rude to her and she told us that she felt sure that he was trying to drive her off. The third American tenent moved out, and again, apartment filled by Brazilians. Just this week the fourth American left and now she is the only one left out of all these Americans who have lived there between 10-17 years.

If you don't get the drift let me tell you plain and clear: THESE BRAZILIANS CAME HERE TO AMERICA AND RAN THE AMERICANS OUT. They took COMPLETE advantage of them by raising the rents to rediculous amounts and ran them right out of what had been their quiet homes for a very long, long time.

Now I ask you to go back and to read this article and see the LIES and the WRONGFULNESS of this, and the cover up of what is truly going on here.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

God is behind your life," Almeida recently told the Sunday congregation at Primeira Igreja Batista Brasileira (First Brazilian Church) in Pompano Beach. "When God closes a door on us, it's because he has a better door."

Yes, and just might that door be to the home of an American citizen.

While a 2004 U.S. Census survey estimates there are 34,126 Brazilians in South Florida, unofficial estimates put the population at about 270,000.

This number still sounds too low.

Almeida said the 2,000-member Primeira Igreja Batista provides food, clothing, job networking services and even cars for those who cannot afford them.

Our friend called us one night almost in tears, because her son who was home for college had no place to park because of all the cars parked outside. Some do not have license plates and just sit there, two in a parking space one behind the other.

"When Brazilians arrive here in a foreign land, they're open to all kinds of help and also change," Almeida said. "Since the church can offer not only spiritual, but also emotional and social help, they treat the church as part of their family in America."

It looks to me that when Brazilians move here to OUR land, it is the American people who will be in dire need of help.

The Brazilians are just taking advantage of Jorge Bushs' love of Free Trade.

On the broader scale, I have no problem with foreign capital buying U.S. companies, nor do I have a problem with U.S. companies buying foreign companies. That's what free trade is all about.
    So to all you Americans that are getting displaced so that the new owners of the US can populate it the way they want to, tough cheese.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

And our country's current president, President George W. Bush would say he's proud and happy and glad about this.

Yes, George Bush, THIS IS YOUR NEW AMERICA, AND HERE WE ARE SEEING IT FIRST HAND.

It won't be long until all of America will have a taste of it first hand.

I told Florida Senator Ron Klein (running against U.S Rep Clay Shaw ) about this situation last weekend when I met him. He ACTED concerned.

I'm going to print this page and take it to his campaign headquarters and ask them to get it to him.

I want him to see what is happening and I want to see if he REALLY cares about the American people .

If he does, then I'll drop off the 25 bumper stickers that Clay Shaw's campaign headquarters is sending me to pass out and I'll tell them........we won't be needing these bumper stickers afterall.