Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CIS: An Unlikely Third Path: Paying Unwanted Migrants to Go

http://www.cis.org/north/reverse-migration

An Unlikely Third Path: Paying Unwanted Migrants to Go Home
    By David North, June 23, 2010

The talk about what to do with America's illegal alien population has been focused on two alternatives: enforcement and legalization.

Stricter enforcement would, it is argued, deport some illegals, cause others to self-deport, and cause potential illegals to stay in their homelands.

Legalization, often described by the open borders people as "the path to citizenship," would be accompanied, it is said, by tighter enforcement and looser nonimmigrant worker programs, which would seriously diminish the size of the illegal alien population, while expanding the U.S. population as a whole. (The latter point is never mentioned).

There is, potentially, a third way, if not for this country. Three other nations are experimenting with paying unwanted migrants to return to their homelands. These programs are voluntary ones.

This is an interesting concept which I suspect would work best if the numbers were small, and the migration paths of the unwanted immigrants were both long and new.

The three nations, according to an excellent study on the subject by the Migration Policy Institute, are the Czech Republic, Spain, and Japan. http://www.migrationinformation.org/Fea ... cfm?ID=749

In each case legally-present "guestworkers" who have lost their jobs are offered differing mixes of incentives, including one-way plane tickets, to return to their home countries. Sometimes they are paid their unemployment insurance in a lump sum on departure, others get their social insurance contributions back in a single check, and sometimes the payments are made partially at the airport, and partially after they return to their homelands. Sometimes there are additional cash payments.

In all cases the departing migrants must agree to restrictions on any subsequent migration to the countries they are leaving. In most of these programs the number of migrants accepting the offer has been small.

For example, at one time Japan (notoriously disinclined to be a nation of immigrants) hired Brazilian citizens of Japanese ancestry to come to Japan as guestworkers. There were 316,967 of them, according to the MPI article, in 2007; only 12,356 of them applied for the return program, or about 4 percent of the population. (See Table 1 of the article.)

One of the more interesting, and perhaps more successful of these programs sought to reverse the flow of people from Mongolia to the Czech Republic. The guestworker recruiting program had been set up when both nations were under the thumb of the Soviets and the un-recruiting took place, which involved all foreign workers in the nation, after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

I would argue that this was, unlike the migration of Mexican nationals to the U.S., a migration without historic roots, and one more easily reversed. About two-thirds of the 2,015 takers of the Czech reverse migration program were from Mongolia (1,220), while only 52 were from the Ukraine. (Between the wars a place often called Ruthenia had been the easternmost province of then Czechoslovakia; it is now in the Ukraine; so the Ukraine-Czech migration route is much older and stronger than the one from Mongolia.)

In the 1970s and early 1980s France had a similar reverse-migration program for non-European Community guest workers, which in those days included the Spanish. I was working with the German Marshall Fund of the U.S. at that time on immigration policy matters, and remember the French officials complaining to me that the program had been misused in two different ways: 1) some people who were planning to leave France and retire to Spain anyway, took the money without causing any change in the demographics; 2) others took the money, went back to Spain briefly, and then returned to France, but this time they were illegal aliens, while previously their presence had been legal.

Unlike the huge distances, both geographic and cultural, between Mongolia and the Czech Republic, you can walk from Spain to France and those on both sides of the latter border speak related languages.

At one point the U.S. was close to experimenting with such a program. During the Carter Administration I had designed a "soft landing" program, had found an organization willing to run it, had secured top staff-level approval for funding from the German Marshall Fund, and thought I had the acceptance of INS (which would not spend a penny on the program.) But at the last minute the Deputy INS Commissioner reversed his position, and vetoed the whole idea.

Given current government financing problems generally, the huge number of illegal aliens present in this country, and what we know from other nations' experiences, I would not write such a proposal today.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

There is actually a fourth option which is for the United States to help finance infrastructure improvement in Mexico and or in the United States along the Mexican border. This includes logistics, dam construction, water purification and treatment of sewage among others. This would create opportunity for the illegal aliens to go back to and for relatives of the immigrants and illegal aliens to remain in Mexico participating in.

ALIPAC has a environment which is like the democracy of a subway car and permits anyone to post and as a result we get both Mexican bashing bigots and general neo mercantilist trogs who would reject the solution. It would be possible to limit the projects financed to those which actually help us Americans as a nation but even so there are individuals on here who complain about such things as the potential loss of Teamsters Union overtime. Among the complaints have been some people trying to avoid restoration of a rail line constructed before World War I.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why don't the wh**es in congress do a Illegal Alien TARP bailout hell they've done every other type of bail out they can make up

Sad thing is it would cost me less as a taxpayer to pay them to go home.

I say enforce the law and send these squatters back to their country of orgin. We spend enough on illegal invaders as it is.

No more!

If we're going to spend money, spend it on enforcement and border security.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    We have been over this a thousand times

If we had a govt that even made a small effort to arrest and deport illegals , If they stopped protecting them , crack down on sanc cities , dumped the anchor babies , arrested traitors like Solis and Gutierrez, cleaned out the rats nests of mecha , la raza and all the rest ,

You would only have to actually deport a small amount , the rest would run like crazy to get out.

We have the answers and the fix to the problem

Just try getting our govt to do it , FAT CHANCE

Quote Originally Posted by Justthefacts
    We have been over this a thousand times

If we had a govt that even made a small effort to arrest and deport illegals , If they stopped protecting them , crack down on sanc cities , dumped the anchor babies , arrested traitors like Solis and Gutierrez, cleaned out the rats nests of mecha , la raza and all the rest ,

You would only have to actually deport a small amount , the rest would run like crazy to get out.

We have the answers and the fix to the problem

Just try getting our govt to do it , FAT CHANCE
    Ditto!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

In reality it would cost a lot less then holding them in jail/detention,providing an attorney who may get them a green card.

Maybe offering those who get caught in a jobs raid could be given a small stipen which again could get them the H. out of our country and return those jobs back to Citizens.

I know it angers many people here to even consider paying IA's to go home but if you consider what they cost us it is probably money well spent.

Of course nothing could be offered unless and until the border is secure.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson