Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Re: Who is in control?

Quote Originally Posted by mrmiata7
    The Democrats are even more pro-open borders and pro amnesty than the Republicans, although both parties are worthless.
    Then we need to vote based on the candidate and not the party or vote for third party candidates.

I used to vote based on the party, but not anymore. I'm now going to vote based on the candidate.
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

I know the people in North Dakota can re-elect Senator Byron Dorgan, a Democrat who stood right up to his party and the president on immigration. He's fantastic.

Let's keep a close eye on him, he's a good one and he needs to stay.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

dxd

What a lot of people don't realize is if nothing emerges from committee before the elections and both chambers are won by Democrats there will be no enforcement and the senate travesty s2611 may be approved by both chambers in it's entirety. The Democrats are even more pro-open borders and pro amnesty than the Republicans, although both parties are worthless.
    When the new congress is sworn in in January 2007 any unfinished business is dead and any bill must start from square 1. Of course S 2611 could be re-introduced with another bill number. If nothing is passed in this congress and the D take congress and they pass an even more severe amnesty that would put heavy pressure on bush to veto it since he opposes amnesty. Right? hmmm They then would need 2/3 of both chambers for an override which they probably would not get. As far as border security we don't need any new laws we need a real President that will enforce existing laws.

What a lot of people don't realize is if nothing emerges from committee before the elections and both chambers are won by Democrats there will be no enforcement and the senate travesty s2611 may be approved by both chambers in it's entirety. The Democrats are even more pro-open borders and pro amnesty than the Republicans, although both parties are worthless.
    Makes for quite a delimma. I too am very concerned about loosing the majority and the long term affect it would have on our troops in Iraq and our effort to fight the war on terror. On the other hand, I don't feel I can sit back and allow Bush, Democrats, and a few Republicans to push through a bill whose amnesty for illegals may put Democrats 'in charge' for decades to come.

Quote Originally Posted by dxd
    . . . since he opposes amnesty. Right?
    Yeah, right! As we all know, S.2611 IS an amnesty and he loves it. If it was worse, he'd love it more! He's an open borders globalist working to achieve the goals of the elites. I would not expect him to veto it if a new Democratic congress passed an even worse version!!
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

I know! What can we do? Just sit by and hope for the best?
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Sen Cornyn is one

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    Senate selected their conferees and I expect the House did as well. It was my impression that they would begin right away/today but I've heard nothing so far. We need to keep our ears open and call some our Congressman for info.........I have elections/primaries tomorrow so I'm wondering, were they waiting for this to be over?

They're trying to keep the conferees UNDER COVER so that we don't decend upon them!
    Found this on Senate site. It says Sen John Cornyn will be one of the conferees.
    http://src.senate.gov/public/index.cfm? ... State_id=0

Frist and Hastert get to appoint the members. Maybe some poking around staff in their offices to see if anyone can illicit just who might be on this conference?

I'm sorry I didn't site my source, just made notes last week on my list of good and bad from that senate vote. Had Cornyn as being on the committee. Also read Grassley expects to be on it also Hatch. All good guys on my list.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    I'm sorry I didn't site my source, just made notes last week on my list of good and bad from that senate vote. Had Cornyn as being on the committee. Also read Grassley expects to be on it also Hatch. All good guys on my list.
    Their strategy is way too easy to spot.

They're putting the "Enforce the Border" "Pro-GUEST WORKER" groupies on the list which is supposed to appease the Anti-Amnesty crowd {us, lol}

Cornyn is no friend. He's been double talking and dancing around the Guest Worker plan as though he's barefooted on a bed of hot coals.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Here is another article that implies, but does not confirm who the conferees are but I think it may be dated because it says the House will not announce their conferees until the Senate passes the immigration bill which we all know has already been done:
    http://www.countynews.org/CountyNewsTem ... ntID=20207

Senate to resume immigration debate
    By Marilina Sanz
    Associate Legislative Director
    Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) and Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) agreed on a compromise to bring the immigration reform bill back to the Senate floor the week of May 15. The Senate was expected to debate the measure for two weeks and Frist hoped to have the bill finalized by Memorial Week recess.

The two leaders have come to an agreement on conferees, which had been one of the major stumbling blocks. Under the agreement, the Republicans would appoint 14 conferees, and the Democrats would appoint 12. Additionally, seven of the Republican conferees and five of the Democratic conferees would have to come from the Judiciary Committee. Having a large representation from the Judiciary Committee was important to the minority because many of its members are seen as friendlier toward comprehensive reform, particularly the path to legalization for the nation’s 11 million undocumented immigrants.

The Democrats had also sought to limit the number of amendments. However, the compromise does not put a limit on the number of amendments that can be offered. Dozens of amendments are expected, including about 25 from the majority side.

The baseline bill combines the bill that passed the committee with the compromise forged by Sens. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) and Mel Martinez (R-Fla.) on the path to legalization. NACo, the National Conference of State Legislatures and the National League of Cities have been working on language to provide funds for state and local governments to deal with the health and education costs related to immigration. There is a possibility that this language will be included in a manager’s amendment.

The conference committee representatives are expected to be appointed by seniority. On the Republican side those would be Arlen Specter (Pa.), Orrin Hatch (Utah), Chuck Grassley (Iowa), John Kyl (Ariz.), Mike DeWine (Ohio), Jeff Sessions (Ala.) and Lindsay Graham (S.C.). This would mean that three of the four Republicans who voted for the committee bill, Sens. Specter, DeWine and Sessions, would be conferees. At press time Majority Leader Frist had not announced the rest of his conferees, but speculation is that they will include Sens. John McCain (Ariz.), Hagel, Martinez and John Cornyn (Texas).

Minority Leader Reid announced that he would appoint all of the Democrats on the judiciary committee: Patrick Leahy (Vt.), Ted Kennedy (Mass.), Joseph Biden (Del.), Herbert Kohl (Wis.), Dianne Feinstein (Calif.), Chuck Schumer (N.Y.) and Dick Durbin (Ill.).

Reid also announced two non-committee members: Ken Salazar (Colo.) and Robert Menendez (N.J.). He still has one more conferee to announce, and speculation is that it may be Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.). Of course, both leaders will be conferees. The House will not announce its conferees until the Senate passes the immigration bill.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast