Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

County considers immigration lawsuits

I found this on a local radio stations web site russanddeeonline.com

County considers immigration lawsuits

Social issues: Attorney hired to explore whether employers of illegal immigrants can be sued

By Mike Butts- Idaho Press-Tribune

CALDWELL -- Canyon County commissioners voted unanimously Friday to hire an attorney to determine if it would be feasible to bring lawsuits against employers that knowingly hire illegal immigrants.

The elected officials characterized the move as an effort to preserve jobs for legal citizens and save county funds. Commissioners also said they want to make an example of an unnamed business in the county they believe hires illegal immigrants.

Johnson & Bell attorney Howard Foster will charge the county about $2,400 to determine whether or not the county has legal standing to sue employers.

Asked to comment on the commissioners' 3-0 decision, Nampa businessman Ray Veloz expressed disbelief and frustration.

"I don't know what's wrong with those guys. They must have nothing to do," Veloz said. "You talk about wasting tax dollars. They need to look more at what's going on in our county government. That's where they have to start cutting the dollars."

Commissioner Robert Vasquez is leading the push for the legal assessment. In the past, he has proposed several ways, including billing Mexico, for the county to recoup money spent dealing with migrants who are not legally in the United States.

"Ultimately our purpose is not to seek out individual (businesses) to prosecute, but to secure economic opportunity for our constituents," Vasquez said Friday. "This is to serve notice to Canyon County employers we are taking our responsibility to serve our constituents seriously."

The idea relies on a legal strategy that targets a longstanding federal anti-corruption law at businesses that knowingly hire illegal migrants. Employers would be sued for expenses the county has incurred in law enforcement and health care for illegal immigrants.

Foster has won three appeals that establish the right of business competitors and employees to sue companies knowingly employing illegal immigrants.

Vasquez said he found out about the law firm from a member of an out-of-state immigration reform group. Commissioners said they are outsourcing the work because county attorneys don't have the resources or expertise for the job.

County Prosecutor Dave Young agreed with the commission's decision to seek outside expertise.

Veloz said he recognizes problems that come from illegal immigration, but he thinks it needs to be dealt with on a national scale. And he said the commissioners should be focusing on issues like health care and traffic, which he said are more pressing concerns for local residents.

"Why don't they try to help this community instead of ripping it apart?" Veloz said.

Commissioners said Friday they are not sure what their next step would be if the law firm's opinion on the issue determines the county could bring lawsuits against employers.

But the county officials said they do have a business in mind, based on a complaint they received. Reportedly, they said, the business laid off legal citizens to hire undocumented workers.

"We only need to focus on one to serve notice to others," Vasquez said.

From the county's welfare application hearings, sometimes involving illegal immigrants, the commissioners said they have become aware of other employers in Canyon County who hire illegal immigrants. Vasquez said if the county needs to it will go after those employers as well.

Commission Chairman Matt Beebe questioned whether some employers made a real effort to identify undocumented workers, some of whom use false identification to get jobs.

Local business leaders have declined comment on the issue, both for the Idaho Press-Tribune and The Associated Press.

Vasquez said the move should silence those who have criticized him in the past for not dealing with businesses that hire illegal immigrants.

"I would like those (people) ... to join me in this effort," Vasquez said.

One of Foster's cases has been against Zirkle Fruit Co. of Washington. It charged that the company conspired to hold down farmworkers' wages by hiring large numbers of illegal workers.

Vasquez has formed an exploratory committee to look at a bid for the 1st District congressional seat. Incumbent U.S. Rep. Butch Otter has indicated he's running for governor.

Justifying the expense of county money, Vasquez said he hopes he can force companies to cover the county's costs for things such as indigent medical care.

"The cost has to be measured against the outlay of tax dollars in all capacities. By that, I mean the county is currently expending $900,000 a year for illegal aliens in our county jail alone," Vasquez said. "Ultimately a lawsuit could be a money-saving move. If nothing else, it certainly enforces the law of the land, which I am bound by oath to do."

But Stephanie Lounsbury, a Nampa resident and member of the Idaho Community Action Network, said Vasquez' tactics would not win him many fans.

"Immigration is an American experience, and acceptance is an American value," Lounsbury said. "I think that employers know there's a problem and they need real solutions, not an attack. We should work toward comprehensive immigration reform."
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

But Stephanie Lounsbury, a Nampa resident and member of the Idaho Community Action Network, said Vasquez' tactics would not win him many fans.
    I bet he has more fans than you realize Stephanie

"Immigration is an American experience, and acceptance is an American value," Lounsbury said. "I think that employers know there's a problem and they need real solutions, not an attack. We should work toward comprehensive immigration reform."
    No, we just need our immigration laws enforced. Ther attack is on Americans not immigrants. Also it is not an attack on immigrants it is wanting to keep the illgeal immigrants out.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)