Dallas Morning News - Letters: Immigration

08:56 AM CDT on Sunday, October 7, 2007

There are consequences for law-breaking
Re: "Now start talking – Meaningful dialogue could fix an Irving deportation program that even minority leaders initially supported, says René Castilla," Wednesday Viewpoints.

Mr. Castilla seems appalled that there are consequences for violating the law. The breakdown of law and order is one reason these aliens have left their home countries.

Mr. Castilla was right about one thing: "It's time for Irving to take back its city and regain control," but not by eliminating a program that does just that.

Norris Wall, Irving

CAP working too well for some
René Castilla says the Criminal Alien Program is flawed. I'm sure there are some flaws, but as a whole it is working very well. In fact, it is working too well to please those affected.

As a 39-year resident and homeowner, I applaud the Irving Police Department, the Irving City Council and Mayor Herbert Gears for standing their ground on a good decision.

Something needed to be done to rein in the glut of illegal immigrants who are now occupying our city and taking advantage of social services, thus draining the funds available for the citizens of Texas who are deserving and eligible.

Emma Petty, Irving

How would a victim's family feel?
I am a U.S. citizen of Hispanic origin. My wife was born in the Philippines, but I am proud to say she is now also a U.S. citizen. We both carry our identification at all times.

However, René Castilla believes that illegal immigrants fear being stopped for Class C misdemeanors, such as driving without a license or public intoxication. He points out that these offenses are not worth being taken to jail. What if one of these innocent illegal immigrants kills someone because of drinking and driving or because of speeding?

How would the victim's family feel if their loved one was killed by someone who shouldn't even be in this country?

Carlos Barron, Irving

Irving's program may have caught killer
Re: "Slain officer's partner recalls night he died – 'Let's go help them out,' he remembers Jackson saying near shift's end," Wednesday Metro.

The accused killer of Dallas Police Officer Brian Jackson is in the U.S. illegally. Five weeks before Officer Jackson was killed, the illegal alien, Juan Lizcano, was arrested on a charge of making a threat to his girlfriend, and then days later was arrested on a charge of driving while intoxicated. It appears that if Dallas used the program of calling immigration officials on individuals like this as the Irving Police Department does, Officer Jackson would still be alive.

Mike Barns, Irving
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... f5a00.html