Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hi Amy,

Excellent points I believe (I'm a former Democrat, so I have some insight as to what you are talking about here).

I live in area surrounded by Dems and self-proclaimed environmentalists. Few of those people have thought through the environmental consequences of large-scale arrival of people from 2nd and 3rd world countries. Or, as I say using the reverse, you can't be a true environmentalist and support the status quo here.

I'd just like to add that another big point on which some Dems (and more liberal-oriented people in general) can be swayed on the issue is in the area of enforcement targeted toward the IA employers. They, all too often, get a 'free pass'. While many won't support the construction of physical barriers along our borders (I know, I know, I think it's crazy too!), some will, however, support strong enforcement focused on corporate malfeasance. (the evolving SAVE Act wandering through the US House is evidence of this)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Democrats allow illegal

Let's be fair here.
    Republicans have allowed this invasion just as much as Democrats. I seem to remember a time when Repub's controlled Congress and Bush was president. Nothing was done about illegal immigration then.
    McCain is a lot like Bush-which scares the heck out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    Hi Amy,

Excellent points I believe (I'm a former Democrat, so I have some insight as to what you are talking about here).

I live in area surrounded by Dems and self-proclaimed environmentalists. Few of those people have thought through the environmental consequences of large-scale arrival of people from 2nd and 3rd world countries. Or, as I say using the reverse, you can't be a true environmentalist and support the status quo here.

I'd just like to add that another big point on which some Dems (and more liberal-oriented people in general) can be swayed on the issue is in the area of enforcement targeted toward the IA employers. They, all too often, get a 'free pass'. While many won't support the construction of physical barriers along our borders (I know, I know, I think it's crazy too!), some will, however, support strong enforcement focused on corporate malfeasance. (the evolving SAVE Act wandering through the US House is evidence of this)
    I'm trying to identify some foundational arguments that supporters of illegal or unrestricted immigration use. Generally speaking. those officially advocating for NO border control are on the far left--whereas the moderates and right wing will argue for expanded visas and lax official policies. Being a member of a labor union in the liberal Pacific Northwest I hear these arguments frequently. Those seem to be (and I will answer each one) in a few major categories:

1. Free Trade policies like NAFTA subverted Third World economic structure so it is really the US's fault

Economic change can disrupt labor patterns in developed countries, too. Many developing countries already have free trade agreements among themselves, but they target the US for criticism because the US is more technologically advanced with better production potential.* While there were job losses NAFTA also created new employment opportunities. Many people, however, instead of staying abreast of the changing conditions in their home countries seized upon more lucrative possibilities in the US.
    (*Note: at least for now!!)

2. The US economy will wither away and become non-competitive without a large labor pool and growing population

Nations with populations a small fraction of the US (Scandinavia, France, Germany, Japan) have equal or better living standards than the US. They have found lucrative niches in the export markets that they can fill. The US succeeded best when it was filling demand that no one else could. As other countries become capable of doing that, the US must seek out new opportunities and provide new products that no one else is capable of producing. It must stay ahead of the globalizing avalanche. If it cannot remain competitive in world markets it will not have enough jobs for its citizens, let alone emigrants from the rest of the world.

3. It is morally reprehensible to allow poverty in developing countries when we have so much

Private American groups are already doing this with billions of dollars/annually of assistance and millions of volunteers. Pro immigration supporters tend to sit back on their duffs, completely oblivious to this fact and level heated criticisms at the largely conservative groups already active in these efforts. The lack of employment opportunities and consequent migratory job seekers arise out of a population explosion rooted in outdated agrarian mentalities. This simply is not our fault.

I'm just getting tired of the seemingly limitless resources of the OBL. They have so many columnists, legal advocates, politicos and business interests involved that they keep churning out challenges. Yet they ignore critical facts. Luckily the American people are wide awake now. While it may seem that in our particular area liberals are still in a fog-- that may not be so true elsewhere.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12