Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Dept of labor to look into Spring Valley

Dept. of Labor will look into Spring Valley's hiring of illegal immigrants

SPRING VALLEY - The New York state Department of Labor has asked to meet with village officials regarding the village's hiring of undocumented workers for a public works project.

"I had a conversation this evening with the Department of Labor," said the village's Deputy Attorney Ryan Karben. "They contacted us and we will be meeting with them over the next few days."

"I'm confident that we can address all of their concerns," he said.

Rockland's District Attorney Michael Bongiorno said earlier today that his office didn't have the jurisdiction to handle the matter, but that he had spoken with the state's Department of Labor, which has agreed to look into the situation.

Mayor George Darden this afternoon said he didn't know workers on a village project were undocumented immigrants, saying the man he spoke with produced legal identification and was going to have family members assist him.

In a statement read at Village Hall today, Darden addressed the village's hiring of undocumented workers, which has prompted widespread criticism.

Darden said media reports that the village "intentionally and knowingly" hired illegal immigrants were not true.

"It is my understanding that rather than bring his family members to the job site, he picked up a number of other individuals to perform work," Darden said.

A Tuesday report in The Journal News revealed that several day laborers hired to work on a village project at 65A N. Main said they were in the country illegally.

Meanwhile, people continued to express their outrage today.

"Well, first of all, I feel Mr. Darden needs to step down," Rhonda Payne said, asking why Darden hadn't gone around the community and sought out others to work on the project.

Payne, a village resident, said her son's father was a convicted felon who couldn't find a job.

"Why didn't Mr. Darden knock on his door? He's legal. He needs to start paying his child support. He can't pay it because he can't find a job," she said.

People need to keep the heat up and hold their feet to the fire!!!!

Dardin certainly has changed his attitude and his story !! LOL
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

'He didn't know - honest he didn't'.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)