Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Doctor fighting county is fired

This guy deserves our support.

This story is taken from Sacbee / News.
    Doctor fighting county is fired
    By Ed Fletcher - Bee Staff Writer
    Published 12:00 am PDT Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Sacramento County physician fighting to end the county's practice of providing medical care to illegal immigrants was fired earlier this month.

Dr. Gene Rogers said he was terminated Aug. 6 "in retaliation for whistle-blowing."

A county spokeswoman, citing privacy rules, said she couldn't comment on why Rogers was let go.

In his 2003 suit, Rogers alleged the county was putting public funds at risk by providing nonemergency medical care to undocumented residents -- in violation of federal law.

The case, in which Rogers represented himself, was dismissed largely on technical grounds. He is appealing.

Sacramento County doesn't ask for proof of citizenship when providing medical care at its county clinics. However, the county estimates that up to 4,000 undocumented immigrants will be treated by the County Medically Indigent Services Program in the 2007-2008 budget years at a cost of $2.2 million.

While Rogers said he was "concerned" that disease-carrying illegal immigrants are working in the community, many in the public health industry would argue that not treating those undocumented workers would present a greater risk to the general public.

The indigent care program provides nonemergency medical care to those who can't afford long-term care.

In a telephone interview, Rogers said he would continue his legal fight against the county's practice and plans to take his former employer to court over his firing.

"I'm planning on hiring an attorney -- a good one," Rogers said.

Rogers, who previously worked as physician at McClellan Air Force Base, was hired by the county in 1999 to serve as a medical director overseeing the indigent health program.

Late last year, Rogers said, the county changed his job description and gave him unreasonably difficult objectives.

In the months that followed, he said, the county prepared to fire him by giving him unfavorable reviews.

Rogers' annual salary was $189,000.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/343800.html

This is a dup to California travesty in news stories from ALIPAC members.
    por las chupacabras todo, fuero de las chupacabras nada

I would like to see all Pro Americans support this doctor by being his patient or maybe start a hospital and clinic without federal funding only private funds and be for only Americans. Sounds silly doesn't it

I remember I need to see a doctor, but I didn't have insurance because I didn't have a job then and couldn't afford it on my own. So I went to the county, and as I sat in the waiting room. I was told I had to pay CASH upfront for the visit, yet this woman dragging her anchor babies came to the receptionist and told her that she didn't have insurance, and the receptionist started to ask her about her children. Well one of the kids was an anchor baby, and the receptionist stated that she can get her son insured and from that the family can get help thru the kid.

Being even of Mexican ancestry that just pissed me off. This doctor needs our support, we need more like him.