Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Does income level affect views on illegal immigratoin?

I've looked at a few polls and from what I can see, income level is one thing that divides the citizens of this country on illegal immigration. Those with higher income levels seem to view illegal immigration in a softer light so to speak then those with lower.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone know of studies, reports, or polls highlight this? Or am I just seeing something that doens't exist in reality.

It's logical that those who benefit from illegal aliens would support their presence in this country. Many are making unprecedented profits from cheap illegal labor. Others are enjoying paying less for their nannies and gardeners. They live in their gated communities and do not have to deal with the negative aspects of this invasion.

Here's one thorough poll done on the overall immigration about 18 months ago - it has a section which addresses the question (well, at least a little):

http://www.cis.org/articles/2006/2006poll.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I haven't looked at the summary of that poll in some time, but overall, yes, there is an elitist bent to the results - on some, not all, aspects of the problem. (eg. look at certain poll questions and examine the relative proportions with regard to the highest income bracket identified - you will see some tendency toward 'oh, it's really not a problem - at least not for me ' type thinking)...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think another thing is that people in upper incomes don't come in contact with illegal aliens, at least not like you and I do.

The wealthy live on estates and or gated community so illegals are not knocking on their doors asking if they can mow their lawns, drinking our of their water faucets or running through their backyards. IAs don't shop at high end department or grocery stores. They don't shop at the same auto dealerships or eat in restaurants with illegals... Their children go to private schools so they are not held back by the ESL students in the classroom...

Basically, they have no contact with IAs. Even if they work for them the wealthy don't talk to them, see them or even pay them. Someone else deals directly with the illegals.

Some people are insolated from the problem so they can ignore it and therefore deny it is a problem.

Dixie

This article suggests a link, it seems to be on immigration in general rather then just illegal immigration. I would expect their to also be a link between the education level of the poll takers and their sentiments on illegal immigration. The more education you have the less you feel the impact, again illegal immgrants are more likely to be a benefit to your personal situation, although they may be harmful to the general population.

Reading this can lead one to believe that the current laws attempting to force the entire population to pay for the financial burden of illegal immigration are nothing more then the higher income people expecting the lower income (and educated) to pay the cost for the benefits of illegal immigration they enjoy.

http://irps.ucsd.edu/news/news-releases ... ration.htm

"The fiscal consequences of immigration are evident in public opinion toward U.S. immigration policy. Joining less-skilled workers in opposing immigration are high-income individuals in states that make large fiscal transfers to immigrants. What makes high-income earners opposed to immigration is not being in a high-immigration state per se but being in a high-immigration state that also provides generous public benefits to immigrants. The political coalition against immigration is thus broader than the political coalition against free trade – it includes low-income workers who fear immigration’s labor-market consequences and high-income workers who fear its fiscal impact."

You know that Rich People have a slew of Mexicans working for them or someone in their families. Pool Man, Yard Man, Handy Man, Maid, Nanny, etc. Some estates employ a dozen or more.

They also don't sweat the small thing, like drains on public education and hospitals. They utilize private schools, and can afford insurance. They feel so fortunate that they "don't mind helping someone from another country less fortunate".

I call it the Madonna/Angelina Syndrome. They overlook all of the poverty in their own backyards, to adopt some kid from Africa, or China.

That makes them more special. Those kids are poorer. Well there are some very poor kids here, that need familes. I do not get it.

It is perception. Rich folks will let family and friends go without healthcare, and food, but will give millions to The Humane Society, or the Homeless Shelter (when their own are about to go homeless), or some College Donation to get a building named after them. They pick high profile things that will give them a big tax deduction. Like donating to Politicians that will make their businesses richer.

I have a neighbor that would help anyone from anywhere else in the world, but she never helps those that are always helping her move, walk her dog, give her decorating advice. She will pay a foreigner that does nothing correct, but won't pay a struggling neighbor that does the exact same work for her. It is just not glamorous, to say I help my neighbor.

Hey.. it is their money, to do with as they wish.

Rich people do Vote... it is that simple. The middle class is not voting.
    I'm "Dot" and I am LEGAL!

Thats just what it is, what an excellent way of saying it. Really eye-opening.

From Pat Buchanan's State of Emergency:

"Just as enthusiasm for forced busing of public school children for racial balence was greatest among those with children in private schools, so the support for open borders is highest today among those who live in neighborhoods where illegal aliens work but do not live.

A 2002 poll by the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations exposed the gulf between average Americans and the elites. While 60 percent of those surveyed said present levels of immigration constitute 'a critical threat to the vital interests of the United States,' only 14 percent of prominent Americans agreed."
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

"Just as enthusiasm for forced busing of public school children for racial balence was greatest among those with children in private schools, so the support for open borders is highest today among those who live in neighborhoods where illegal aliens work but do not live.
    I think we've all been aware of this and it shows just how much our country needs to hold on to those elected officials who care enough about the American people to "BELIEVE US, (even when they're not personally effected by it) when we say..."WE HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM AND WE NEED YOUR HELP!!!"

Everyone's comments here are very true and of course, Pat Buchanan is right on target with "the truth".

The rest of them...unaffected by so many things things that the average American is effected by, are going to try to make themselves out to be angelic do-gooders, when in fact they don't give a hoot about the average and less fortunate citizens of their own country.

(Bush is a prime example of this type of person. It's nothing they should be proud of)

Everybody's on to them.

They can run but they can't hide.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast