Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Donald Trump: I'd "enjoy" meeting with Putin

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-t...ng-with-putin/

By Reena Flores CBS News September 20, 2015, 4:39 PM

Donald Trump: I'd "enjoy" meeting with Putin

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump could meet with Vladimir Putin next week -- and if it was arranged, Trump says he'd "enjoy doing it."

"Well, I had heard that he wanted to meet with me," Trump told NBC News on Saturday. "And certainly I am open to it. I would love to do that if he wants to do that."

Donald Trump: I'd get along "very well" with Putin

Putin is scheduled to attend the United Nations' 70th General Assembly in New York City next Sunday. And the Trump Organization's vice president, Michael Cohen, has hinted at a possible meeting of the minds while the Russian leader is in town.

"There's a better than likely chance Trump may even meet with Putin when he comes here for the United Nations," Cohen said Thursday on conservative talk show host Sean Hannity's radio program.

The GOP frontrunner doesn't know for certain whether the two would actually get together but, he told NBC, "people have been talking."

"We'll see what happens," Trump said. "Certainly, if he wanted to meet, I mean, I'd enjoy doing it."

The billionaire businessman has said before that he believed he could work well with the Russian president, who has frustrated the Obama administration on several occasions. And Putin's backing of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in Syria's bloody civil war has only increased tensions between the U.S. and Russia.

Hillary Clinton: U.S. should take 65,000 Syrian refugees
    Republicans pile on Donald Trump at Reagan Library debate

During Wednesday's Republican debate, Trump said again that he thought he could get along with other global power players.

"I would talk to [Putin], I would get along with him," he said on the debate stage. "I believe -- and I may be wrong, in which case I'd probably have to take a different path -- but I would get along with a lot of the world leaders that this country is not getting along with."

But some in the GOP field aren't taking kindly to Trump's chummy attitude towards Putin.

In an ABC News interview Sunday, Republican presidential hopeful and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio slammed Trump on the issue, equating his rival's willingness to meet with Putin to a "reset with Russia."

"It sounds like he thinks if we just have someone who gets along with Putin personally, things are going to work out better," Rubio, a prominent defense hawk on the Senate's Foreign Relations committee, said. "It sounds a lot like the reset with Russia that the president tried to do. I guess he's advocate for a reset with Putin."

But Trump believes having a relationship with others is an important aspect of deal-making.

"If President Obama got along with Putin, that would be a fabulous thing. But they do not get along," Trump added Sunday. "Putin does not respect our president. And I'm sure that our president does not like him very much."

© 2015 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Question for Fiorina:

If you couldn't even govern HP to the extent that it did well or complied with international trade sanctions against Iran, what in the world makes you think you could govern the US or verify Iran's nuclear capability? Seems to me when a wholesaler of the year for HP is in bed with a wholesaler doing business with Iran, that's generating all types of sales, one would know the destination market of those products. After all, how can you know what markets to pursue if you don't even know what your existing markets ... are?

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I hope this meeting takes place so they could discuss some positive ideas for solving this problem in Syria. I know the Obama Administration for some untold reason wants a regime collapse, well, that is stupid, and we're tired of stupid. I know the Obama Administration for some additional untold reason wants to arm "rebels", who become ISIS and yes of course take the money and weapons with them to ISIS, well, this is stupid, and we're tired of stupid.

We need Russia to beef up the Assad government to shut down ISIS and bring calm to the rebels. We need Russia to help us establish a safe zone in Syria for all the "refugees" so Europe and the US can tell them to GO HOME.

We need Russia to help US apply pressure to the Assad regime once it's in full operational mode to ensure civil rights to all Syrians. For those who don't know, Assad is a medical doctor by training and runs a secular (non-religious based) government.

The only reason we're worried about Syria is because some Iraqi wannabes want a repeat in Syria of what happened in Iraq. People who want power and money have lobbied our stupid government to give them weapons and money to try to do to Assad what we did to Hussein. Well, how did that work out? Not too well given the fact that Iraq went from a secular (non-muslim based Constitution) to a religious based government with the Koran, the Highest Law in the Land. Same as Afghanistan.

So, our government is too stupid to deal in the middle east, it's better to have a US "vaccuum" than to have perpetual war. Let Russia handle it. They know how to restore order and end the chaos.

Here's the deal Judy. The UN is NOT the enemy; we should have had them continue their operations in Iraq---and then all of these horrible news stories would be on the backpage and someone else's problems. The anti-UN thing is mainly a Texas centered thing. I think a native New Yorker power broker would know how to draw the line with them. Trump would not have to wander out from his native sagebrush cattle ranch----he just goes down the street! And he can still be the jaded New Yorker, and not let the UN get the upperhand, just use them as pawns, basically.

I was at a big UN sponsored gig in 2000 at the New York Hilton, one year before 9/11. New York is just a different trip altogether. I think Trump can handle them. John Bolton is kind of an opinionated dope, IMO. You just have to keep the UN on a tight leash and take advantage of what they CAN offer. I would like to see someone like Pat Buchanan as a foreign policy advisor, instead of these silly neo cons that have gotten us----and Europe, also---into a huge mess.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron View Post
    Here's the deal Judy. The UN is NOT the enemy; we should have had them continue their operations in Iraq---and then all of these horrible news stories would be on the backpage and someone else's problems. The anti-UN thing is mainly a Texas centered thing. I think a native New Yorker power broker would know how to draw the line with them. Trump would not have to wander out from his native sagebrush cattle ranch----he just goes down the street! And he can still be the jaded New Yorker, and not let the UN get the upperhand, just use them as pawns, basically.

I was at a big UN sponsored gig in 2000 at the New York Hilton, one year before 9/11. New York is just a different trip altogether. I think Trump can handle them. John Bolton is kind of an opinionated dope, IMO. You just have to keep the UN on a tight leash and take advantage of what they CAN offer. I would like to see someone like Pat Buchanan as a foreign policy advisor, instead of these silly neo cons that have gotten us----and Europe, also---into a huge mess.
    Yes, I think with Russia involved with Syria, then the US hopefully can organize a UN mission to control a safe zone in Syria and restore order. Remember Russia is a member along with the US on the UN Security Council, one of 5 permanent members with veto power. It's the US, Russia, China, Britain and France, these 5, and all five would readily and immediately agree to a safe zone, monitored by a UN peace-keeping mission to turn these "refugees" back home to Syria or wherever they belong.
    Last edited by Judy; 09-21-2015 at 01:10 AM.