Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Donald Trump rejects Mitt Romney's ironic tax attack

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Donald Trump rejects Mitt Romney's ironic tax attack

Donald Trump rejects Mitt Romney's ironic tax attack

By Stephen Collinson, Jeremy Diamond and Hasan Khan, CNN
    Updated 9:14 PM ET, Wed February 24, 2016

(CNN )Donald Trump is leaving the door open to not releasing his tax returns, just hours after Mitt Romney warned Wednesday that the billionaire's tax documents could contain a "bombshell."

The GOP front-runner said in an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper that he will "make a determination over the next couple of months" as to whether he will release his tax returns.

Trump rejected Romney's accusation out of hand, saying "there is no bombshell at all other than I pay a lot of tax and the government wastes the money."

And Trump also slammed Romney, whom the real estate mogul endorsed in the 2012 GOP presidential nominating contest, as "yesterday's news."

Romney's biting attack hinted at clear signs of alarm in the Republican establishment at the billionaire's tightening grip on the party's presidential race.

"We have good reason to believe that there's a bombshell in Donald Trump's taxes," Romney told Fox News, and also called on the top anti-Trump contenders Sens. Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio to disclose their tax information as well.

"Either he's not anywhere near as wealthy as he says he is, or he hasn't been paying taxes we would expect him to pay or perhaps he hasn't been giving money to vets or to the disabled like he's been telling us he's been doing," Romney added.

The 2012 Republican nominee's broadside followed Trump's thumping victories in three of the first four GOP nominating contests, including in Nevada on Tuesday night, which have established the billionaire businessman as the party's undisputed front-runner.

It was also an attack steeped in irony, since Romney was on the receiving end of similar claims by then-Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, when Democrats eviscerated him over his fortune and business record during the 2012 campaign. Reid zeroed in on his taxes, saying he hadn't paid any in a decade without offering any evidence to support the claim.

Romney, who decided against a third presidential run last year after initially considering jumping in to the race, uncorked his attack on Trump, ahead of next week's Super Tuesday contests that could further cement the billionaire's strong front-runner status in the GOP presidential race.

Romney's move appeared to not just be a sign of concern that Trump -- after defying pundits and political logic since he launched his "outsider" campaign last summer -- could actually go on to claim the Republican nomination.

It was also a sign of skittishness about the damage the Democrats will try to inflict on Trump, who has a long and sometimes controversial business record, in a general election, if he does indeed emerge as the GOP nominee.

"They were all over me for my taxes," Romney told Fox.

While Cruz and Rubio have yet to release their tax returns this campaign season, years of tax returns from both candidates are already publicly available from the time when they ran for Senate.

Reid ignited a firestorm in the 2012 presidential race by claiming on the Senate floor, without presenting any evidence, that "the word's out that he hasn't paid any taxes in 10 years." His attack was part of a fierce effort by the Obama re-election campaign to portray Romney as an out of touch and heartless businessman unable to understand the economic problems afflicting the middle class. Reid later told CNN that he did not regret his move, noting archly that Romney did not win the election.

The irony of the moment struck one key member of Obama's re-election campaign.

"Did Mitt Romney just do to Donald Trump on tax returns what he was so mad at Harry Reid for doing to him?" said former Obama political adviser and current CNN commentator Dan Pfeiffer on Twitter.

Under intense pressure, Romney did finally release his tax returns during the campaign, but when it emerged that he had paid around 14% taxes on his 2010 return -- less than most Americans -- there was political uproar that played into the hands of the Obama campaign.

The former Massachusetts governor was taking advantage of rules in the tax code under which income derived from dividends and capital gains is taxed at lower rates than traditional wages.

Trump last summer released his personal financial disclosure shortly after announcing his presidential run and has consistently touted the fact that he released his financial numbers ahead of schedule.

Trump said he was worth $8 billion, a figure he and his accountants later revised to $10 billion when he officially released his personal financial disclosure. Forbes has estimated Trump's net worth at $4.5 billion, a figure Trump has disputed.

On Wednesday, Trump also stressed that his tax returns "are extremely complex," which Romney has rejected given that Trump would only need to publish several years of past tax returns which he has already filed.

Trump stressed as he has in the past that he pays "as little as possible because it's an expense and it's not one I'm happy paying because frankly the United States government wastes a lot of money."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/24/politi...d-trump-taxes/
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Boy, if Mitt hadn't already learned how to make his name a dirty word, he sure figured it out here. Republicans oppose the income tax, Republicans oppose income tax returns, so the last thing a Real Republican does is use anything to do with someone's personal income tax as a criteria for choosing a President of the United States.

The only people who want to see Trump's tax returns are the liberal Trump hating media and Mitt Romney.

Don't give 'em the tax returns. You don't have to, you're not required to, it's not a requirement to run for President of the United States. Tell 'em to stuff it their request to see your tax returns where the sun don't shine.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The establishment is getting desperate imo.

Donald Trump: Mitt Romney ‘Playing Tough Guy’ Is ‘So Awkward and Goofy’

by ALEX SWOYER
    25 Feb 2016
    Washington, DC
    511 comments

GOP frontrunner Donald Trump took to Twitter to blast Mitt Romney after the 2012 Republican nominee hinted there could be a bombshell in Trump’s taxes.

Donald J. Trump ✔ ‎@realDonaldTrump
    Mitt Romney,who totally blew an election that should have been won and whose tax returns made him look like a fool, is now playing tough guy
    3:13 PM - 24 Feb 2016

When Mitt Romney asked me for my endorsement last time around, he was so awkward and goofy that we all should have known he could not win!
    3:26 PM - 24 Feb 2016

“We have good reason to believe that there’s a bombshell in Donald Trump’s taxes,” Romney earlier stated on Fox News. He also called on Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) to release their tax information.

“Either he’s not anywhere near as wealthy as he says he is, or he hasn’t been paying taxes we would expect him to pay or perhaps he hasn’t been giving money to vets or to the disabled like he’s been telling us he’s been doing,” Romney charged.

UPDATE:

Trump was back on Twitter Thursday:

Mitt Romney, who was one of the dumbest and worst candidates in the history of Republican politics, is now pushing me on tax returns. Dope!
    4:34 AM - 25 Feb 2016

Why doesn’t @MittRomney just endorse @marcorubio already.
    Should have done it before NH or Nevada where he had a little sway. Too late
    now!
    8:05 AM - 25 Feb 2016

Just for your info, tax returns have 0 to do w/ someone’s net worth. I have already filed my financial statements w/ FEC. They are great!
    8:22 AM - 25 Feb 2016

Signing a recent tax return- isn't this ridiculous?
    8:35 AM - 25 Feb 2016

I'm going to do what @MittRomney was totally unable to do- WIN!
    8:44 AM - 25 Feb 2016

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ard-and-goofy/

MW
    "They were all over me for my taxes," Romney told Fox.
    This is very true. Seems I remember he was catching flack here on ALIPAC too.

The only people who want to see Trump's tax returns are the liberal Trump hating media and Mitt Romney.
    Not true. I'm interested in seeing if all the candidates finances are as they say.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Well, then it seems to me that when Ted Cruz failed to note his loans from Goldman Sachs and CitiBank when he ran for the Senate would have been as of much interest to you and it was to me. Of course that's not part of a tax return, that's part of a financial disclosure statement filed when you run for federal office. Trump filed his early months ago. That's a disclosure required by law. Tax returns are not required and you're not entitled under the law to see those.

My point was that no one supporting Trump has asked to see his tax returns. These requests for the tax returns were from "reporters", the media and now Mitt Romney none of whom are voting for Trump, so why give them to your Haters? This whole tax return thing started with Romney's dad, who wasn't even eligible to run for the office to begin with because he was born in Mexico.

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Well, then it seems to me that when Ted Cruz failed to note his loans from Goldman Sachs and CitiBank when he ran for the Senate would have been as of much interest to you and it was to me. Of course that's not part of a tax return, that's part of a financial disclosure statement filed when you run for federal office. Trump filed his early months ago. That's a disclosure required by law. Tax returns are not required and you're not entitled under the law to see those.

My point was that no one supporting Trump has asked to see his tax returns. These requests for the tax returns were from "reporters", the media and now Mitt Romney none of whom are voting for Trump, so why give them to your Haters? This whole tax return thing started with Romney's dad, who wasn't even eligible to run for the office to begin with because he was born in Mexico.
    Why do you constantly try to make everything about Cruz? Like I said:

I'm interested in seeing if all the candidates finances are as they say.
    Nothing wrong with including an honest and unbiased check into the candidates financial situation as part of the vetting process. After all, they are running for the highest office in the land, not for a bag boy position at Winn Dixie. Assuming they've been honest, no candidate should have a problem with this.
    Last edited by MW; 02-26-2016 at 01:01 AM.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Because Cruz is the only one who failed to include his bank loans on his financial disclosure statement when he ran for Senate. There hasn't been any other report on anyone else in the race who failed to comply with that legally required financial disclosure document.

If you're interested in someone's financial situation, that's described in the legally required financial disclosure statement that Trump filed months ago. So all your legitimate areas of interest have already been legally addressed with that document.

Providing a tax return is a totally voluntary decision. I hope Trump tells them to "stick it where the sun don't shine" and say "NO RETURNS".

MW
    Judy wrote:

Providing a tax return is a totally voluntary decision. I hope Trump tells them to "stick it where the sun don't shine" and say "NO RETURNS".
    To do that would be an admission that you have something to hide, but of course you know that.

Why We Lose: Where Was Dirty Trickster Mitt Romney When America Needed Him In 2012?

by JOHN NOLTE
    25 Feb 2016
    3,352 comments

During a phoned-in appearance on Fox News Wednesday afternoon, 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney dropped a big ole’ a dirty bomb on Donald Trump. Speaking to Neil Cavuto, Romney said, without any evidence, that he has “good reason to believe that there’s a bombshell in Donald Trump’s taxes.” As someone who suffered through every moment of Romney’s feckless presidential campaign, the first thing I thought to myself was “Where the hell was this killer when we needed him most?”

Listen, I have no issue with Romney dropping a dirty bomb, especially on a Donald Trump who is the master of launching these kinds of insinuations. Politics, especially at the presidential level, is not about Marquis of Queensbury. It’s about proving your skill as a campaigner, your ability to keep the other guy on defense. The fact that you might be offended by that reality does not change that reality.

So let’s stop for a moment and applaud Romney’s skills at pulling an effective “Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV),” at being an effective McCarthyite dirty trickster 30 hours before Thursday night’s Republican debate, at giving Hillary’s DC Media Super PAC the anti-Trump talking points they are so desperate for.

No question, Romney pulled it off with skill and panache.

However….

Romney also reminded folks like myself that the Republican Establishment is a dumpster fire of incompetence, a group of elite stiffs genetically incapable of winning national elections.

When it comes to sticking a stiletto into a fellow Republican, suddenly Romney is Mitt the Machiavellian!

Unfortunately, when it came to beating beatable incumbent Barack Obama in 2012, Romney couldn’t even deal with Candy Crowley; couldn’t prosecute Benghazi; couldn’t competently handle the questions around his own taxes; could neither shun nor embrace his wealth; couldn’t comprehend that in 2012 maybe you should assume everything is recorded before writing off 47% of voters; couldn’t do one damn thing effectively to win even a single news cycle against a failed incumbent.

Oh, but look at Romney now — diving in the gutter and proving that Mr. Squeaky Clean is in fact quite capable of doing what it takes to win … against his own.

For America, Romney couldn’t do it, even as Team Obama accused him of murder.

To protect the Establishment Trough, though, suddenly he’s a Man willing to get his hands dirty.

You know who does not have this genetic defect? Donald J. Trump, and that is a very, very big part of his appeal.

Not that we needed it, but thanks for the reminder that the GOP Establishment needs to be burned to the ground, and its ashes tied to the roof a car that we bury in a luxury elevator.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...d-him-in-2012/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast