Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Durbin's OTHER Hole Card — S.Amdt. 2238

Durbin has ANOTHER Immigration related Amendment, S.Amdt. 2238.

It is hard to follow, b/c it AMENDS "Section 212(n) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1182(n))".

Thus, all that Durbin's Amendment is, is a series of "sub-paragraph (B) is replaced with _____".

I am trying to work through it.

(1) Durbin's Amendment S.Amdt 2238 can be found from here (scroll down):

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/thomas

(2) The USC text can be found here:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html ... -000-.html
    'Tolerance' just means 'Take it!'
    It's not about conforming your mind to reality — but conforming reality to your mind (your mind over matter, not matter over you).

CURRENT LAW

(n) Labor condition application
    (1)
    No alien may be admitted or provided status as an H–1B nonimmigrant in an occupational classification unless the employer has filed with the Secretary of Labor an application stating the following:
    (E)
    (i)
    In the case of an application described in clause (ii), the employer did not displace and will not displace a United States worker (as defined in paragraph (4)) employed by the employer within the period beginning 90 days before and ending 90 days after the date of filing of any visa petition supported by the application.
    (ii) An application described in this clause is an application filed on or after the date final regulations are first promulgated to carry out this subparagraph, and before [7] by an H–1B-dependent employer (as defined in paragraph (3)) or by an employer that has been found, on or after October 21, 1998, under paragraph (2)(C) or (5) to have committed a willful failure or misrepresentation during the 5-year period preceding the filing of the application. An application is not described in this clause if the only H–1B nonimmigrants sought in the application are exempt H–1B nonimmigrants.

PROPOSED AMENDMENT

(1)
    No alien may be admitted or provided status as an H–1B nonimmigrant in an occupational classification unless the employer has filed with the Secretary of Labor an application stating the following:
    (E)
    (i)
    ————— the employer did not displace and will not displace a United States worker (as defined in paragraph (4)) employed by the employer within the period beginning 90 days before and ending 90 days after the date of filing of any visa petition supported by the application.
    —————

This doesn't seem so bad so far...
    It's not about conforming your mind to reality — but conforming reality to your mind (your mind over matter, not matter over you).

CURRENT LAW

(1)
    (E)
    (i)
    In the case of an application described in clause (ii), the employer did not displace and will not displace a United States worker (as defined in paragraph (4)) employed by the employer within the period beginning 90 days before and ending 90 days after the date of filing of any visa petition supported by the application.
    (ii) An application described in this clause is an application filed on or after the date final regulations are first promulgated to carry out this subparagraph, and before [7] by an H–1B-dependent employer (as defined in paragraph (3)) or by an employer that has been found, on or after October 21, 1998, under paragraph (2)(C) or (5) to have committed a willful failure or misrepresentation during the 5-year period preceding the filing of the application. An application is not described in this clause if the only H–1B nonimmigrants sought in the application are exempt H–1B nonimmigrants.

(F) In the case of an application described in subparagraph (E)(ii), the employer will not place the nonimmigrant with another employer (regardless of whether or not such other employer is an H–1B-dependent employer) where—
    (i) the nonimmigrant performs duties in whole or in part at one or more worksites owned, operated, or controlled by such other employer; and
    (ii) there are indicia of an employment relationship between the nonimmigrant and such other employer;
    unless the employer has inquired of the other employer as to whether, and has no knowledge that, within the period beginning 90 days before and ending 90 days after the date of the placement of the nonimmigrant with the other employer, the other employer has displaced or intends to displace a United States worker employed by the other employer.

(G)
    (i)
    In the case of an application described in subparagraph (E)(ii), subject to clause (ii), the employer, prior to filing the application—
    (I) has taken good faith steps to recruit, in the United States using procedures that meet industry-wide standards and offering compensation that is at least as great as that required to be offered to H–1B nonimmigrants under subparagraph (A), United States workers for the job for which the nonimmigrant or nonimmigrants is or are sought; and
    (II) has offered the job to any United States worker who applies and is equally or better qualified for the job for which the nonimmigrant or nonimmigrants is or are sought.
    (ii) The conditions described in clause (i) shall not apply to an application filed with respect to the employment of an H–1B nonimmigrant who is described in subparagraph (A), (B), or (C) of section 1153 (b)(1) of this title.

PROPOSED AMENDMENT

(1)
    (E)
    (i)
    ————— the employer did not displace and will not displace a United States worker (as defined in paragraph (4)) employed by the employer within the period beginning 90 days before and ending 90 days after the date of filing of any visa petition supported by the application.
    —————

(F) The employer will not place the nonimmigrant with another employer if
    (i) the nonimmigrant performs duties in whole or in part at one or more worksites owned, operated, or controlled by such other employer; and
    (ii) there are indicia of an employment relationship between the nonimmigrant and such other employer;
    unless the employer has inquired of the other employer as to whether, and has no knowledge that, within the period beginning 90 days before and ending 90 days after the date of the placement of the nonimmigrant with the other employer, the other employer has displaced or intends to displace a United States worker employed by the other employer.

(G)
    (i)
    ————— subject to clause (ii), the employer, prior to filing the application—
    (I) has taken good faith steps to recruit, in the United States using procedures that meet industry-wide standards and offering compensation that is at least as great as that required to be offered to H–1B nonimmigrants under subparagraph (A), United States workers for the job for which the nonimmigrant or nonimmigrants is or are sought; and
    (II) has offered the job to any United States worker who applies and is equally or better qualified for the job for which the nonimmigrant or nonimmigrants is or are sought.
    (ii) The conditions described in clause (i) shall not apply to an application filed with respect to the employment of an H–1B nonimmigrant who is described in subparagraph (A), (B), or (C) of section 1153 (b)(1) of this title.

This doesn't seem so bad so far...

Whew! Tax lawyers have made US Law as archane as the Babylonian Talmud (which I've recently begun to study as a background for the ministry of the Messiah, Yeshua).

Currently, it is against the law to put an H-1b into a position unless no American worker can be found for it. Also, the visa holder must be paid the equivalent of what an American worker would make.

However, since the current administration is not enforcing the existing immigration laws, H-1bs are being used in positions that Americans are available for and they are being paid less than they should be.

Who is going to do anything about that? Certainly not Bush and Chertoff and Myers!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

a. Vote NO on Amendment 2237 that would attach the Dream Act Amnesty. This is just another attempt at SHAMNESTY FOR MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL ALIENS.

b. Vote NO on any measure to increase H-1B visas and permanent greencards for foreign workers to take jobs from skilled American workers and students.

c. Vote NO on any attempt to increase H-2B visas for seasonal foreign workers to take jobs from America’s most vulnerable workers.

This has been included in my message......every email, phone call or fax.