Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Email From Lamar Smith, NEW House Judiciary Chairman

Thank you for subscribing to my e-newsletter. It is always helpful to have the views of constituents on issues confronting the nation. Here is some of this week's news pertaining to our Congressional district.

Sincerely,

Congressman Lamar Smith

Happy Holidays!

The holidays are a time of celebration and reflection on the blessings of life.

As we celebrate with family and friends, it's important that we remember the servicemen and women who are unable to be home with their loved ones this holiday season. We are thankful for our troops who have sacrificed so that all Americans might be free, and we hope for their safe and quick return home.

My best wishes for a wonderful holiday season and Happy New Year!

Congressman Smith Votes to Extend Tax Relief

Last week, I voted to extend tax relief for two reasons. First, lowering taxes will encourage individuals to save and invest, which will generate jobs and strengthen the economy. In the past, lowering taxes has spurred economic growth so that the additional tax revenue gained actually decreases the deficit.

Second, Americans pay enough in taxes and if this bill had not passed, every American who pays taxes would have paid more starting January 1, 2011. Without this bill, income taxes, capital gains taxes, and the income tax all would have increased. The child tax credit would have been cut in half, and the estate tax would have jumped to 55 percent if Congress had failed to act. Additionally, this bill reduces payroll taxes, putting more money directly into workers' pockets.

This bill passed the House with my support on December 16, 2010, by a vote of 277-148. (139 Democrats voted in favor,112 opposed; 138 Republicans voted in favor, 36 opposed).

We would not have had even this much success in holding the line on tax increases if we had waited until next year. Both the President and Democratic leaders in the House and Senate favor tax increases.

While I wanted to vote to make this tax relief permanent, extending these provisions for two years is better than the alternative, a higher tax bill for every American.

My Priorities for the New Congress

By Congressman Lamar Smith

When the new Congress convenes in January, it will bring many changes to Washington. One change for me personally will be to serve as Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.

Established in 1813, the House Judiciary Committee is the second oldest committee in Congress. Its jurisdiction often places it at the center of American politics, such as when it approved the U.S.A. PATRIOT Act following the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. Particularly important today is the Committee's oversight responsibility for the Departments of Justice and Homeland Security.

The Committee is often referred to as the guardian of the Constitution so our members have a steadfast responsibility. President James Madison was known as the "Father of the Constitution," and I keep his autograph on my office wall as a reminder to uphold the principles of liberty, equality and justice for all Americans. As Chairman, I will make sure that legislation considered by the Committee does not infringe upon Americans' constitutional rights.

Like my constituents, I believe that Congress should focus on national security, economic opportunity and prosperity for all Americans and hold the administration accountable to the American people.

One priority of the House Judiciary Committee is to confront the threat of terrorism. In the past year, there were three terrorist attempts (one successful) in the U.S. And several additional terrorist plots recently have been uncovered. Terrorist threats have changed, but they have not diminished.

To protect Americans, we should not close the terrorist detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Just this week, the Director of National Intelligence reported that 25 percent of released Gitmo terrorists have returned to or are suspected of returning to terrorist activities.

And we should treat terrorists as enemy combatants, not U.S. citizens. Giving foreign terrorists constitutional rights has no legal precedent and makes it harder for prosecutors to obtain convictions. We should bring foreign terrorists to trial in military commissions at Guantanamo Bay, not in civilian courts in the U.S.

The enforcement of our immigration laws is critical to the security and prosperity of our state and nation. The House Judiciary Committee should enact policies that will better secure our borders and discourage illegal immigration, human smuggling and drug trafficking.

In the past five years, more than 28,000 people have been killed along the border because of drug-related violence. That includes more than 1,000 law enforcement personnel who have died.

Without increased border security, we risk letting drug-related violence spill over the border. American citizens should not have to fear for their lives on U.S. soil. If the federal government enforced its immigration laws, we could better secure the border and better protect U.S. residents.

Texans also should not have to compete with illegal immigrants for scarce jobs.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, one million citizens and legal immigrants currently are looking for work in Texas. At the same time, according to a 2010 Pew Hispanic Center study, there are one million illegal immigrants working or looking for work in Texas. That is unfair to legal workers.

Worksite enforcement efforts have fallen dramatically since President Obama took office—administrative arrests are down 79 percent from 2008, criminal arrests are down 62 percent, and convictions are down 70 percent. That means it is easier for illegal immigrants to keep jobs that rightly belong to U.S. citizens.

We could free up millions of jobs for Americans and legal immigrants if we enforced our immigration laws against illegal workers.

Congress also can help millions of Americans who are struggling to afford health care by enacting lawsuit-abuse reform. I continue to support such reform, modeled after the successful practices of several states, including Texas, which would save over $54 billion in unnecessary health care costs.

This would help American families struggling with health care costs and protect medical personnel who are overburdened by the high cost of malpractice insurance.

In addition to our policy initiatives to restore national security and create jobs, the House Judiciary Committee is committed to effective oversight of the Department of Justice.

Oversight is not a game of cat and mouse between Congress and the White House. It is the legitimate and necessary work of Congress to improve the operation and function of the executive branch and ensure that federal agencies are responsive to the interests of the American people. We need to make sure that our laws are equally enforced, criminals are prosecuted and our communities are kept safe.

Congress will have its hands full next year. But for democracy to work, it must be a government by the people and for the people. As your Congressman and Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, I plan to respond to the demands of my constituents for a more effective and accountable government.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Ok your wrong.
    "Last week, I voted to extend tax relief for two reasons. First, lowering taxes will encourage individuals to save and invest, which will generate jobs and strengthen the economy. In the past, lowering taxes has spurred economic growth so that the additional tax revenue gained actually decreases the deficit".

You did not lower taxes. Taxes stay the same, for two years anyway.
    You lowered SSI rate and increased spending.
    You could have done so much better, better than sucks.
    You talk a good talk on borders and immigration, are you going to
    compromise on that too. I would think not.
    Or your compromising butt will be unemployed.

I have had a life time of this rhetoric, Feet to the fire.
    Repubes, we the people give it, we the people take it away.