Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ESCONDIDO CA : Back in Illegal Immigration Spotlight

ESCONDIDO CA : Back in Illegal Immigration Spotlight

By Morgan Lee
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 at 9:41 a.m.

A special arrangement between federal agents and Escondido law enforcement has thrust the increasingly Latino city back into the illegal-immigration spotlight.

Police Chief Jim Maher calls the full-time placement of three Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers at police headquarters an important crime-fighting tool. He said the goal is to make Escondido as unfriendly as possible to illegal border crossers who have criminal records, including previous deportations.

Maher’s critics said the chief’s hard line has sent a chilling message to the entire Latino community, which is dominated by Mexicans and is now the largest ethnic group in Escondido. Many contend that the city’s sobriety checkpoints are a guise for intimidating the undocumented, who are barred from getting a driver’s license in California. They also worry that Escondido’s close cooperation with ICE, a pilot project that’s the first of its kind in the state and perhaps the country, could become permanent and expand.

Implicit in these complaints is the belief that illegal immigrants should be able to live peacefully, find employment and eventually gain permanent residency in the United States.

The Escondido controversy reflects some of the thorniest issues in the national debate about immigration reform. Certain organizations push for tougher measures against illegal immigrants, while others want Congress to grant them a path to citizenship. In various speeches and its immigration lawsuit against Arizona, the Obama administration has aimed for a balancing act — upholding laws against the undocumented while trying to be humane and to not antagonize key nations such as Mexico.

Escondido attracted national attention in 2006 with its failed attempt to punish landlords who rent to illegal immigrants. The city has a policy against giving sanctuary to illegal immigrants or leaving immigration matters to federal authorities alone.

The street demonstrations that greeted the rental ordinance are back, this time near the police sobriety checkpoints. On Oct. 23, for example, about 30 people gathered a few blocks ahead of one checkpoint to warn motorists, who detoured onto alternate streets or parked their vehicles to wait out the screening.

Maher condemned such protests as irresponsible. He said they undermine his department’s moderate and pragmatic campaign to keep the city safe.

“There are folks in this community that feel that if we know someone is in the country illegally, just in the country illegally, we should take action,â€

In our town we have seatbelt checkpoints. There are signs 2-3 blocks ahead - in English.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMay
    In our town we have seatbelt checkpoints. There are signs 2-3 blocks ahead - in English.

Hmmmm Why are the signs in English?

What is wrong with knowing who is in our country, getting rid of those who do not belong here, etc. Who care iif it is racial profiling. Get rid of those people and clean up our state and country. I am so tired of all of this pc crap. That is what has gotten into this in the first place and it has nothing to do with being a racist. I have a VERY diversified family and love every one of them.

Banned
    Once again they feel they are above the law

They should be able to drive with no license or insurance

JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE ILLEGAL MEXICANS?

What is up with that?

More militant anchor babies growing up to defy our laws because some misguided allegiance to La Raza…..
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I served with Chief Maher in the United States Marines,outstanding
    job Chief,Semper Fidelis!

Mexico’s top diplomat for the San Diego region went to Escondido this month to find out more about police checkpoints and the partnership with ICE. Consul Remedios Gómez Arnau also spoke to Mexican nationals in the area about their basic rights.
    This guy needs kicked our of the USA along with the illegals. He has NO RIGHTS to tell us how to manage our criminal law enforcement procedures or monitor them. Send this Mexican back home.....
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

about 30 people gathered a few blocks ahead of one checkpoint to warn motorists, who detoured onto alternate streets or parked their vehicles to wait out the screening.
    this has got to be against the laws.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by uniteasone
    about 30 people gathered a few blocks ahead of one checkpoint to warn motorists, who detoured onto alternate streets or parked their vehicles to wait out the screening.
    this has got to be against the laws.
    I agree! I think they need to be arresting these peoople right along with the drivers they get. I know in NC when there is a DUI checkpoint there are all kinds of cops around, they look for people trying to avoid the checkpoint. Also here in NC they will get you for warning oncoming traffic of a speedtrap by flicking your brights at them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast