Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Evanston, IL considers sanctuary policy tonight...

The Evanston Human Services Committee will be considering their sanctuary resolution tonight. I'll post here as soon as I hear if it's going any further. I thought I'd post a copy of the resolution so that our excerpts could see what they propose. I received this in an email.

The Evanston Human Services Committee will be considering this issue tonight at 7pm, at the Evanston Civic Center, 2100 North Ridge Ave.

1/30/2008
    11-R-08
    A RESOLUTION

Calling for Humane and Just Treatment for Immigrants and Their Families

WHEREAS, the United States, from its inception, has been a nation of immigrants seeking political or economic refuge, freedoms not attainable in their land of origin, and the ability to improve their lot in life that is not open to them elsewhere; and

WHEREAS, the inscription on the Statue of Liberty states:

Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door; and

WHEREAS, throughout our nation’s history immigrants have contributed greatly to the social, cultural, and economic success of our society and still do so today; and

WHEREAS, the issue of immigration in the United States is essentially one of basic human rights, exemplified by the growing number of communities passing resolutions seeking to protect immigrants’ rights; and

WHEREAS, the United States has always been a nation that embraces family values, while current policy violates these values by forcibly separating native-born children who are citizens of the United States from their immigrant parents through deportation and where the long processing time of immigrant applications for citizenship prevents children from living with their families; and

WHEREAS, an increasingly hostile anti-immigrant and racist atmosphere is being promoted by a vocal minority that represents neither American values nor the majority of our citizenry; and

WHEREAS, Evanston has long had a history of standing for justice, compassion, human rights, and peace as evidenced by City declarations of being a nuclear free zone, a sanctuary for Salvadoran refugees, and in opposition to the war in Iraq, and Evanston’s proud tradition of valuing and promoting diversity, as in the successful effort to integrate our public schools, the annual celebration of the Ethnic Arts Festival, and the provision of bilingual education and bilingual City services,

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that except as provided below or when otherwise required by law, no City of Evanston bureau, office, division, department, employee, or other agency or agent shall condition the provision of City of Evanston benefits, opportunities, or services on matters related to citizenship or immigrant status; and
    BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that it shall be the policy of the City of Evanston Police Department not to assist in the investigation of the citizenship or immigrant status of any person unless such inquiry or investigation is (a) integrally related to an investigation by the Evanston Police Department regarding a matter other than the individual’s citizenship or immigrant status or other crimes that have as an element of the crime the illegality of a person’s presence, or (b) as otherwise required by law. The Evanston Police Department shall not make inquiries into immigration status for the sole purpose of determining whether an individual has violated the civil immigration laws; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that, except when otherwise required by law, no City of Evanston bureau, office, division, department, or employee, or other City of Evanston agency or agent shall disclose information regarding the citizenship or immigrant status of any person unless required to do so by law, or such disclosure has been authorized in writing by the individual to whom such information pertains, or if such individual is a minor or is otherwise not legally competent, by such individual’s parent or guardian; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the City of Evanston Department of Health and Human Services (“the Departmentâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Evanston is as foolish and simpleminded as my hometown of Joke Park. There is no doubt they will pass this. Maybe some of the gangbangers who have been hanging out in Melrose Park will relocate to Evanston.

Someone from that committee needs to make a trip down here to Southern California (particularly LOS ANGELES) to get an idea as to what Evanston will look like a few years from adopting that policy.

Good luck, Illinios!

Great! Let them be careful what they wish for! They will get a double dose of Third World diversity and suffer from their crime and diseases and bedbugs. In a year or two, they will reverse this sanctuary policy.

To accelerate their learning process, let's fund some billboards advertising the name and location of this sanctuary city.

Oh, and by the way, the following poem was written by a Marxist woman and did not represent official US policy at the time (although liberals have adopted it as their motto in forming later immigration policy).

I lift my lamp beside the golden door; and
    [b] If we do not insist on Voter ID, how can we stop illegals from voting?

I lift my lamp beside the golden door; and...
    The poem on the bottom of the Statue of Liberty was not one that was originally part of the Statue of Liberty but added in 1903. The poem was never approved for inclusion on the Statue of Liberty pedestal by the people of the United States nor are those words anywhere in our U.S. Constitution. France gave the U.S. the Statue of Liberty as a gift of friendship, demonstrating the two country's shared belief and commitment to liberty. The Statue of Liberty was given to the U.S. without a pedestal and a fundraising drive in the U.S. paid for the pedestal upon which part of Emma Lazarus's poem, "The New Colossus" was inscripted on a bronze plaque. Emma Lazarus saw the Statue of Liberty as a beacon to the world and wrote her poem to help raise money for the pedestal.

All that to say, the Evanston Human Services Committee's resolution is not based on the rule of law but on their interpretation of a section of Emma Lazarus's poem. There are many clauses of their resolution that are wrongly crafted, but I take issue with the resolution from the second WHEREAS clause. On another note, Emma Lazarus, a Jewish American poet, wrote her poem in a time when most of America's immigrants were legally coming into the U.S. through Ellis Island...which is certainly not the case now. To use a poem and not law as the basis for this resolution is highly objectionable, and the problems with the resolution only grow from there.

Here is the full content of Emma Lazarus's poem:

“The New Colossusâ€
    <div>"The making of an American begins at the point where he himself rejects all other ties, any other history, and himself adopts the vesture of his adopted land."**
    -James Baldwin, American Writer</div>

Let's see how the demographics change after they enact this new sanctuary policy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evanston,_ ... mographics
    [b] If we do not insist on Voter ID, how can we stop illegals from voting?

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED,
    Evanston is not an island unto itself and subject to Illinois and United States of America laws.
    Imposing sanctuary city status is an act of rebelling against federal laws of aiding and abetting illegal aliens through knowingly acts of omission rather than commission.
    Under the SUPREMACY CLAUSE of the Constitution, federal law shall be the supreme Law of the Land.

Stop all federal monies to sanctuary towns, cities, counties, and states! Prosecute officials enacting such legislation!

Why have santuary city laws not been declared unconstitutional?

The Law:
    1. It is 'aiding or abetting' to "encourage or induce an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such coming to, entry, or residence is or will be in violation of law." 8 U.S.C. § 1324(a)(1)(A)(iv).
    2. It is 'aiding or abetting' to "conceal or attempt to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection, illegal aliens, including any building or any means of transportation."
    8 U.S.C. § 1324(a)(1)(A)(iii).
    3. It is also 'aiding or abetting' to "engage in any conspiracy to commit any of the preceding acts."
    8 U.S.C. § 1324(a)(1)(A)(v)(I).
    4. It is a felony to 'aid or abet' in the commission of the above acts.
    8 U.S.C. § 1324(a)(1)(A)(v)(II).

Under the Supremacy Clause, everyone must follow federal law in the face of conflicting state law.

SUPREMACY CLAUSE - "This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding." U.S. Const. art. VI, Paragraph 2
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Waukegan is less then an hour from Evanston. If, in their wisdom, they decide to pass this I have to speculate if people will move from our town to theirs. Our town has a very large illegal alien population.

Maybe these two fine Waukegan businesses will re-establish themselves in Evanston.

Oh my god! They have the flag of mexico flying on that flag pole

I thought California was bad...

My toilet bowl looks cleaner than tacos bueno, which I suspect is what you would need if you ate at that place

We need a "makes me sick" emoticon!!! As usual, it is intentionally presented as a resolution to protect "immigrants" and fails to differentiate between legal and illegal.

In the following clause, could they not be challenged legally for including "slanderous" language within legislation because it is accusing groups like ours as being "hostile anti-immigrant and racist", which is simply false?

"WHEREAS, an increasingly hostile anti-immigrant and racist atmosphere is being promoted by a vocal minority that represents neither American values nor the majority of our citizenry; and"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast