Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Let's do something about Evanston

It is time to organize and take a stand against the Evanstons in our state. Anyone interested? I would be happy to organize a statewide effort to stop this travesty. Contact me at ipil2005@yahoo.com

Council adopts immigration measure

* Government

Submitted by Bill Smith on Tue, 03/11/2008 - 10:40am.

Shortly after 2 o'clock this morning Evanston aldermen passed a resolution calling on Congress to adopt comprehensive immigration reform.

The vote came at the end of a council meeting that Assistant City Manager Judy Aiello, who's worked three decades for the city, said fell just short of the council's all-time record of 2:30 a.m. for adjournment from a marathon session.

The immigration ordinance was adopted after its sponsor, Alderman Lionel Jean-Baptiste, 2nd Ward, incorporated language acknowledging the city's existing practice of not challenging the immigration status of those seeking city services.

Resolutions introduced by Alderman Edmund Moran, 6th Ward, that would have codified the city's immigrant-friendly policies and called anti-immigrant activists racists were rejected, failing to receive support of any other council members.

Opponents of Moran's measures said they feared their adoption would risk making Evanston the target of increased enforcement efforts by federal immigration agents.

The aldermen also:

* Asked staff to rework a proposed rental building registration program to provide a graduated fee scale based on building size.
    * Agreed, on a 5-4 vote, to spend $250,000 in federal housing funds to subsidize three units in a five-unit condo conversion at 241 Callan Ave. Alderman Ann Rainey, whose 8th Ward includes the property, said the project would be "throwing money away" given the high number of vacant renovated units in the area.
    * Approved, on an 8-1 vote, spending nearly $400,000 to repair the fountains and other equipment in Fountain Square.

The aldermen also started discussion in their Planning and Development Committee of the proposed 49-story condo development at 708 Church St, hearing a presentation about the project from its developers. They've scheduled a special meeting for 6:30 p.m. on Monday, March 17, to hear public comment on the project.

http://www.evanstonnow.com/government/b ... on-measure
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This article is a bit more clear.

Plan to make Evanston 'sanctuary city' fails to pass
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 | 5:14 PM

EVANSTON, Ill. (WLS) -- Officials in north suburban Evanston are urging the federal government to support comprehensive immigration reform. Monday night, the city council's human services committee passed a resolution calling for that help.

But the panel failed to pass another plan to make the northern suburb a "sanctuary city" for illegal immigrants. The ordinance would have banned police and city workers from asking about a person's immigration status, unless it is required by law or part of a police investigation.

Monday night, a group named The Illinois Citizen Security Network argued a "sanctuary city" would affect the safety of all Illinois residents and cost taxpayers money.

[red]"In order to protect the value of the vote of each of our citizens, and the physical and financial security of our citizens, we need to take actions that stop these magnets from drawing people into this country illegally," said Dawn Marie Mueller, Illinois Citizen Security Network.[/red]

"Sanctuary city" supporters say it would have demanded fair and humane treatment for immigrants in Evanston.

The immigration reform resolution will be passed on to Evanston's federal representatives for consideration.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    Oh my god! They have the flag of mexico flying on that flag pole

I thought California was bad...

My toilet bowl looks cleaner than tacos bueno, which I suspect is what you would need if you ate at that place
    Isn't that the truth. I wouldn't eat there for anything. UGH

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123