Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Face the Nation: Luis Gutierrez vs. JD Hayworth!

Immigration battle royale.

Coming Up: May 2

Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill. (far left)

Former Rep. J.D. Hayworth, Arizona GOP Senate Candidate (second from left)
    Refresh the page during this day, and the video will eventualy be posted of today's debate.

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/ftn/main3460.shtml

I opened the link and got a good laugh at this:

(It's actually in reference to a photo.)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This article , no video yet.

CBS) Heated debate over SB 1070, Arizona's new immigration law, continued Saturday as rallies in protest of the law took place across the country. Immigrants made up large portions of some rallies with estimates of as many as 50,000 immigrants participating in Los Angeles alone.

In Washington, D.C., about 35 protesters were arrested, including Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.), who said Sunday on CBS News' "Face the Nation" that "My arrest was part of a response to what I consider the immorality of our broken immigration system. We were protesting the fact that hundreds of thousands of immigrant families have been destroyed."

Gutierrez said there are approximately 4 million American children whose immigrant parents have been deported or are under threat of deportation. "I was arrested yesterday because it was time to escalate and to elevate the level of awareness and consciousness for all those who tried to reach our shores and can't because our system is broken," he added.

Also on "Face the Nation" was former U.S. Rep. J.D. Hayworth, who is challenging John McCain (R-Ariz.) in the Arizona Senate race. Hayworth had much different attitude about the immigration law than Gutierrez.

"I would suggest that the law here in Arizona is designed quite simply to enforce federal law," said Hayworth. "I think what has been going on here has been a massive disinformation campaign and distortion."

Hayworth read directly from the Arizona law. "The law 'shall be implemented in a matter consistent with federal laws regulating immigration, protecting the civil rights of all persons, and respecting the privileges and immunities of United States citizens.'"

Hayworth then asked a question of Gutierrez. "Do you think illegal aliens have done anything wrong by being in this country without authorization?"

Gutierrez said, "Let me tell you what I propose. I want to end illegal immigration as we know it."

One step in ending illegal immigration, he said, is to "go after employers that hire undocumented workers and be very severe with them."

A second part of his plan is more technologically sophisticated and perhaps radical. "The same Social Security card that my granddad got in the 1930s is the same one my grandson, who is 7 years old, just got. It's time to bring new technology to make sure that everyone that works in America has a social security card. I'm ready to give a little blood and a little DNA to prove that I'm legally working in the United States of America."

He continued, "People want to think that if we pass a law [illegal immigrants]'ll go away. They have roots in the community. There are millions of American citizen children. Make them learn English. Make them pay a fine. Make them pay into our system and then put them on the track so that there's some relationship between what they did and the punishment [for entering the country illegally]."

That plan doesn't work for Hayworth. "It's not only illegals coming northward from Mexico," he said. "We've been getting Chinese. We've been getting people from the Middle East. There's a huge criminal component. Just Friday afternoon a sheriff's deputy wounded - apparently surprising - drug smugglers. Now 17 people are in detention, three of them persons of interest in the shooting of the deputy sheriff. This is a major problem. For Luis to suggest that somehow we need to forgive people coming into the country illegally, that's the root of the problem. When you enforce the law, people respond to the law."

Gutierrez made clear that he thinks patrolling the borders is just one step of the many that he thinks are needed for immigration reform. "Ten years ago there were 10,000 border patrol agents. There's [20,000 now]. Ten years ago, no fences. Some places we've tripled the fences. It's not working because in the end it is jobs here in the United States that [illegal immigrants] able to maintain that brings them," he said.

"I'm ready to put more agents in and triple that border," he said. Gutierrez advocated a "comprehensive plan so that we can take the 12 million that are here, legalize them, make them pay taxes, know who they are, [and] fingerprint them."

He continued, "I don't like criminals, but the people that J.D. is dealing with - they're drug smugglers. They're criminals. They're vicious, ruthless people. I want to combat them."

"Early Show" anchor Harry Smith asked Hayworth is he thought the Arizona was racist in nature, and if the law is comparable to Nazi Germany's treatment of Jews, as has been alleged by some detractors.

Bristling somewhat, Hayworth said, "That is overblown rhetoric," he said. "What's going on is a deliberate distortion to move this from a question of enforcement to one of ethnicity."

Asked if he'd be nervous if he were a Hispanic man walking on an Arizona street, Hayworth said, "No, I would not because there has to be reasonable suspicions."

Gutierrez didn't buy that the law will not lead to racial profiling. "The law is discriminatory," he said.

In reference to the Latino community, he added, "We're not criminals. We've come here to sweat and to toil and to work hard. Yes, some of us cross that border and some of us overstayed our Visa. But by and large, we love this country. To say that somehow we are all this criminal element and to target us with the discriminatory law is wrong. It has galvanized and unified. In the end, doesn't it speak to, sadly, the lack of action of the federal government.

Smith asked about the unintended consequences of the Arizona law. There have been worries that businesses who would otherwise use Arizona's convention centers would hold events elsewhere in protest. Smith said there's been talk that Major League Baseball will not hold the All-Star game in Phoenix this year as planned.

"What I heard from friends in California the other day is that they want to start a 'buycott,' actually come to Arizona to reaffirm the fact that Arizona all we're doing is enforcing federal law," said Hayworth.

"[Gutierrez] wants to forgive law-breaking," said Hayworth, referring to illegal border crossings. "The first act of people, no matter their later motivation - to [enter] the country without authorization - is to break our laws. Immigration policy, border security and national security are synonymous. Crime is on the increase. Arizonans have had enough."

"[Libertarian think tank] the Cato Institute says crime is down. It's a red herring," said Guiterrez. "Washington, D.C., has to get involved in securing that border. What is the greatest tool the police have in combating crime - I hate those drug dealers [and] I hate those involved in human smuggling - but the greatest asset that the police have are the eyes and the ears of the public. Let's not drive a wedge between the police and the public in general."

He added, "You know who's happy with that [wedge]? Criminals and drug dealers. I want to end illegal immigration as we know it."

CBSNews.com Coverage of Arizona's New Immigration Law:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/05/ ... rPromoArea
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I watched this morning and Guteirezz reminded me of a silver tongued snake.He was very calm and all smiling assuring he wanted our borders controlled.

JD Hayworth called him on several issues and spoke very confidently.He explained very well why AZ passed the new law.

Now that I have seen & heard JD speak I really like him alot.He knows how to stand up to these hysterical fear mongers and easily debunks their lies and exposes their true intent of their hysteria is open borders.

Al Sharpton was on the ABC morning show today but luckily there were 2 supporters defending the AZ law rather forcefully and one was actually visibly seething at Sharptons hysterical assertions of racial profiling. He asked Sharpton OK how wold you solve AZ problems and Sharpton answered with "You don't answer a question with a question".In other words has no answers or solution since his only goal is open borders.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbstard
    I opened the link and got a good laugh at this:

(It's actually in reference to a photo.)
    I thought that was funny to. Does anybody have a link to the video. I didnt see it on the page.

The Hill
    Hayworth, Gutierrez square off over immigration law
    By Kevin Bogardus - 05/02/10 11:43 AM ET

Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.) and former Rep. J.D. Hayworth (R-Ariz.) squared off Sunday over Arizona’s new immigration law.

The state law, just signed into law last week, would allow state police to stop suspected illegal immigrants and ask for proof of U.S. citizenship. The law has boosted the immigration reform debate back onto the national level with both sides calling for the federal government to step in with new legislation.

Gutierrez has been one of the more vocal advocates in Congress in pushing for a comprehensive immigration reform bill. He has criticized the Arizona law, saying it unfairly targets Hispanics.

“The law is discriminatory,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Ill keep refreshing the page until it appears

Thanks I meant to watch it this morning and forgot...not up yet will keep my eye out for it to come op.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

"I was arrested yesterday because it was time to escalate and to elevate the level of awareness and consciousness for all those who tried to reach our shores and can't because our system is broken," he added.
    Now he's not only concerned about illegals already here but the line of illegals trying to jump the border that get caught.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

MW
    "I was arrested yesterday because it was time to escalate and to elevate the level of awareness and consciousness for all those who tried to reach our shores and can't because our system is broken," he added.
    He's obviously has the mindset that the United States has an obligation to invite, welcome, and support every single person that wants to come here. Excuse me, but that's just ludicrous!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast