Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Federal judge slams feds for not charging illegal immigrants

Federal judge slams feds for not charging illegal immigrants' employers

Federal judge slams feds for not charging illegal immigrants' employers
    By: Freeman Klopott
    Examiner Staff Writer
    August 14, 2009 A federal judge in Alexandria gave no prison time to a man convicted of harboring illegal immigrants for profit, saying prosecutors should have targeted the wealthy families in McLean and Potomac who employed the illegals he provided.

"This is why we have problems with illegal immigrants in this country," said U.S. District Judge Gerald Bruce Lee. "There is unequal enforcement of the laws, particularly when it comes to employers."

Prosecutors had argued that Soripada Lubis of Falls Church should face nearly five years in prison for harboring the 20 women who lived with him over eight years and not letting them leave. In court documents and in arguments made in court Thursday, prosecutors painted a picture of Lubis as abusive. Relying on statements from eight of the women, prosecutors said Lubis sexually abused two of them and threatened to kill their families if they fled.

But Lee said he didn't agree that the women had been victims of "human trafficking." The judge sentenced Lubis to three years of probation and required him to pay back $2,000 he took from two of the women.

Lubis pleaded guilty to harboring illegal immigrants for financial gain in February. Agents pulled eight women from his house in an October raid. The women, according to testimony, are still in the United States and have not been charged with breaking immigration laws. Some of them are still working for their employers and have received special visas for trafficking victims who testify in criminal cases.

Lee said he was "troubled by how in this case I'm being asked to send [Lubis] to prison when [the women] stayed with Miss [Ellen] Ottenstein, Miss [Jill] Martin and Miss [Brauna] Schwartz for five days a week and only weekends with you." In court documents, prosecutors listed 50 employers in McLean and Potomac who hired women from Lubis for domestic work.

Ottenstein said in court Thursday that she knew the woman she hired from Lubis was an illegal immigrant. The woman lived and worked at Ottenstein's house in Potomac for the past seven years. Ottenstein eventually helped the woman leave Lubis' house. Later, when Ottenstein learned of the charges pending against Lubis, she called the FBI to report her employee's case. Ottenstein said no one from the government expressed concern that she had acted outside the law.

fklopott@washingtonexaminer.com

Re: Federal judge slams feds for not charging illegal immigr

Some of them are still working for their employers and have received special visas for trafficking victims who testify in criminal cases.

THIS SUCKS!!! DEPORT THEM!!

I feel sorry for them but they need to GO HOME.

The guy should have got 3 years for every woman he held hostage, PLUS 2 counts of rape.

Give him 30 years, NOT PROBATION!!!
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

I can see the judge's point that he was trying to make to the prosecuters..in nutshell, he was saying to the prosecuters that you want me to prosecute this smuggler, but you don't want me to prosecute the illegals or the employers? The case was against the smuggler and not the employer or the illegals. I would have done the same thing. State that if you don't bring the magnet to me I will give all others probation. The smuggler is not the magnet, the employer is.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish
    I can see the judge's point that he was trying to make to the prosecuters..in nutshell, he was saying to the prosecuters that you want me to prosecute this smuggler, but you don't want me to prosecute the illegals or the employers? The case was against the smuggler and not the employer or the illegals. I would have done the same thing. State that if you don't bring the magnet to me I will give all others probation. The smuggler is not the magnet, the employer is.
    From the womens View:
    I think if you were imprisoned for 8 years and raped whenever, you'd GET IT. As the VICTIM I want the rapist smuggler to go to jail. I don't care about semantics........
    Dick Morris

Quote Originally Posted by WorriedAmerican
    From the womens View:
    I think if you were imprisoned for 8 years and raped whenever, you'd GET IT. As the VICTIM I want the rapist smuggler to go to jail. I don't care about semantics........
    Yea, I knew by responding to this article without reading the whole thing, it would come back to bite me..sorry, no offense meant, WorriedAmerican, just short on time and in this case I missed a very important part. You're right, the rapist needs to pay and do time.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by WorriedAmerican
    From the womens View:
    Yea, I knew by responding to this article without reading the whole thing, it would come back to bite me..sorry, no offense meant, WorriedAmerican, just short on time and in this case I missed a very important part. You're right, the rapist needs to pay and do time.
    No problem, I must say I have done that too!
    I get mad and will start typing, submit, finish the article and hit EDIT!!!

I'm glad you didn't mean it....
    Dick Morris

But Lee said he didn't agree that the women had been victims of "human trafficking." The judge sentenced Lubis to three years of probation and required him to pay back $2,000 he took from two of the women.
    Three years probabation? That's it? And he admitted to using the women for financial gain. He was the employer, and the 50 hiring his workers were using him as a contractor for household help, and can very easily claim they had no idea the workers were illegals. McLean VA and Potomac MD are the wealthiest communites in the DC area, but I guess they were watching the bottom dollar.
    He has already confessed to taking money from the women, and now there are allegations of rape as well.
    The prosecutors did a really lousy job as this guy was aiding and abetting illegals for employing them. While he may not been directly involved in physically trafficking across the border, he seems to have enticed the women to work for him, or perhaps, paid the traffickers to feed into his aiding-and-abetting business.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn