Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Feinstein, oldest senator at 84, to seek re-election

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Feinstein, oldest senator at 84, to seek re-election

Feinstein, oldest senator at 84, to seek re-election

MICHAEL R. BLOOD
    ,Associated PressOctober 9, 2017

FILE - In this July 12, 2017, file photo, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., ranking member on the Senate Judiciary Committee, speaks on Capitol Hill in Washington. Feinstein is giving her strongest hints so far that she’s going to seek a fifth full Senate term in 2018. She told NBC’s ``Meet the Press’’ that ``I’m ready for a good fight. I’ve got things to fight for.’’ (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais, File) More

LOS ANGELES (AP) — At 84, Sen. Dianne Feinstein is at an age when many Americans are deep into their retirement years. But the oldest member of the Senate announced Monday that she will seek another term with a ready retort for those who might suggest her best years are behind her.

"Experience counts," the veteran California Democrat said.

The announcement that she would seek a fifth full term was expected and she has been stockpiling campaign dollars for a re-election bid. In recent months, the former San Francisco mayor has shown no signs that she was thinking about changing direction.

With seats on several of the most powerful panels on Capitol Hill — the Judiciary, Appropriations and Intelligence committees — Feinstein has been a leading Democratic foil to President Donald Trump and his agenda.

In a statement, she said the Trump era has seen "democracy challenged in unacceptable ways," from the attempts to roll back national health care for millions of people to attacks on reproductive rights and efforts to slow climate change.

"I cannot and will not step away from this fight," she said. "There's still so much work left to be done."

Feinstein never directly referred to her age but argued her years in the Senate, where seniority carries clout, made her an effective voice for the nation's most populous state.

"The ability to get things done counts. And the compassion, vigor, and stamina to make a difference counts," she added, seeming to anticipate questions about her age.

With another six-year term in Washington, Feinstein could be in the Senate into her 90s.

Questions about her age circulated in 2012, when at 78 she was easily re-elected over token Republican opposition. She had a pacemaker installed in January.

Nonetheless, she enters the race the favorite to hold the seat she first won in 1992 in the strongly Democratic state.

Her centrist credentials and lack of enthusiasm for universal health care have created friction with her party's restless left wing. She's had protesters outside her home, and has been criticized by some for appearing too temperate at times in remarks about Trump's White House.

On Twitter, Feinstein declared, "I'm all in."

As the top Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, she has focused, often in futility, on gun control issues and immigration. The Intelligence Committee has been conducting an inquiry into Russia's election meddling and whether there was any collusion between Russia and Trump's campaign.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sen-diann...-election.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

84...running again...what the hell has she accomplished for the State of California or this country?

Not squat...just more debt and more dumb policies on the back of US taxpayers to foot the bill.
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

It's true. Decades in the Congress and not a damn thing to show for it. Pathetic, but that's true for all of 'em.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Politicians should have a mandatory 65 retirement age.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I disagree. That would have retired Sheriff Joe 20 years ago and would have prevented Donald Trump from running for President, and what a double loss that would have been.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2 View Post
    Politicians should have a mandatory 65 retirement age.
    I don't necessarily have a fixed age in mind on forced retirement. However, I would fully support a required test on mental competence on any congress critter running for reelection after age 65. For example, I highly question the mental competence of Nancy Pelosi and Maxine Waters to function as representatives in the U.S. Congress. I'm sure there are others, but those two jump out in my mind.

I'm a strong supporter of term-limits, however, I'm smart enough to know they'll never vote themselves out of their financially lucrative job.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Elizabeth Warren, Gutierrez, Rahm Emanuel, Jerry Brown, DeBlasio needs a mental exam too...many of them are nuts!
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL