Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Feinstein wants emergency legislation to legalize farmworker

I just received this email:

Thank you for writing me regarding the number of foreign agricultural workers in the United States. I appreciate your thoughts on this matter and welcome the opportunity to respond.

I understand your concerns about the impact of foreign guest workers on California and the country as a whole. In general, I believe that U.S. businesses should hire American workers. The government should also create and enforce limits on the number of employment visas made available in the United States.

At the same time, American agriculture is facing a serious crisis. Across the country, farmers report that they do not have enough labor to plant, tend and harvest their crops. The California Farm Bureau reports labor shortages as high as 30% and as a result, growers are not planting to their full capacity, crops have been left un-harvested, and farmers have no choice but to allow the land to lie fallow. The labor shortage is forcing too many farmers to close shop or move their operations to Mexico. A conservative estimate cites that more than 22,000 jobs and 84,000 acres of agricultural production have moved to Mexico in recent years. As you may know, California's 77,000 farms alone produce half of the Nation's fruits, vegetables, and nuts. The United States cannot afford to lose this to foreign competition.

The fact is that many Americans refuse to do this work. A couple of years ago, I asked my staff to file advertisements with welfare employment offices throughout the State of California. Despite such efforts, no American workers ended up responding. We must take immediate action to provide a stable and legal workforce for American growers in order to maintain a safe and healthy food supply.

I am considering emergency legislation that would provide temporary legal status for some agriculture workers and reform the H-2A program. This legislation would provide a temporary, legal workforce for our Nation's agricultural producers, without providing a green card. I am hopeful that this emergency proposal could provide short-term relief to American farmers while Congress re-examines broader immigration reform.

Again, thank you for your letter. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact my Washington, D.C. staff at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
    United States Senator

Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and the Nation are available at my website http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/.

HELLLLLLLL NO! Enough is enough! H-2a allows unlimited TEMP workers who have to go back and must be self-supporting (aka employers are responsible for them), it doesn't need changing!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

working4change
    Take Action CA ACTION ALERT! Feinstein proposes new amnesty for agricultural workers!

Emergency Agriculture Relief Act of 2008
    Senator Dianne Feinstein is developing a new amnesty proposal that would allow illegal aliens working in agriculture to receive five-year visas.

Feinstein's plan, tentatively called the Emergency Agriculture Relief Act of 2008, is a scaled-down version of the AgJobs amnesty bill she introduced previously. Due to widespread public opposition to any amnesty effort, this bill does not offer an absolute "path to citizenship" to illegal aliens, but will buy more time until political changes may allow for an even broader amnesty.

The scheme would require these visa recipients to work on farms only 100 days per year. The proposal also revises the H-2A visa program for seasonal agricultural workers and provides special treatment for dairy and sheep farms.
    A study from the Center for Immigration Studies disproves notions that crops are rotting in the fields for lack of workers. The average household spends only about $1 a day on fresh fruits and vegetables, and labor costs comprise only 6 percent of the price of fresh produce. Farm wages could be raised substantially to attract more workers with little impact on consumers.

ACTION NEEDED

Help us launch a pre-emptive strike against this subtle, but sinister, proposal. Tell Senator Feinstein that the voters want neither this amnesty, nor any other amnesty. Send a fax or an e-mail by entering your ZIP

http://www.capsweb.org/wrapper.php?wrap ... item_id=19

Cracked Pot.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The answer remains NO. We all know that "temporary" means permanent.

This Elite Senator has found the vehicle she thinks she'll ride to full fill her promises . No way Lady . Illegal is Illegal , no matter what lie you dream up
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Now when I hear politicians crying for more agricultural "guestworkers" I have a stock, repeatable answer:
    WHAT DID YOU DO WITH THE 25 MILLION WE GAVE YOU?
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David

The United States cannot afford to lose this to foreign competition.
    Dianne, when the foreign agribusiness only has to pay $5 a day for labor we ARE ALREADY LOSING TO FOREIGN COMPETITION. Thanks to your farmworker buddies US agricultural has been forced off a technological solution and required to hire handlabor. THAT'S WHY WE'RE NOT COMPETITIVE ANYMORE!!!
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David

Re: Feinstein wants emergency legislation to legalize farmwo

Quote Originally Posted by cvangel
    I am considering emergency legislation that would provide temporary legal status for some agriculture workers and reform the H-2A program.
    If they are going to reform the H-2A program, why would they even need to give illegals "temporary" legal status? The illegals could just go to Mexico and apply to re-enter legally under the H-2A program. There is no need for "legalization". What is their real agenda?

NO
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast