Five Republicans in running to succeed Miller in 10th Congressional District

By Mitch Hotts, The Macomb Daily
POSTED: 07/30/16, 10:48 AM EDT | UPDATED: 16 SECS AGO

Five Republican candidates are in the running to succeed Congresswoman Candice Miller, who is not seeking re-election after serving seven two-year terms in Washington, D.C.

The GOP candidates are state Rep. Tony Forlini, retired businessman past Congressional candidate Paul Mitchell, state Sen. Phil Pavlov, former state Senator and House member Alan Sanborn, and David VanAssche, a businessman and Air Force veteran.

The winner will face former state Rep., Eastpointe mayor and county commissioner Frank Accavitti Jr. of Grosse Pointe Shores, in the Nov. 8 general election.

The heavily Republican 10th Congressional District stretches from Sterling Heights, through northern Macomb County, to the tip of the Thumb area.

Representatives serve a two-year term and are paid $174,000 a year.

Here is a brief look at the Republican candidates and their issues:

• Tony Forlini, 54, of Harrison Township, is the owner of Design Financial and is a state Representative for the 24th District. A former Harrison Township supervisor, he earned a bachelor’s degree from Western Michigan University and is a certified financial planner.

Forlini said jobs and the economy are top concerns with workforce participation at record low levels. Lower taxes and less regulation will promote economic growth, he said. He supports a business tax that is competitive with other countries to keep jobs in the United States.
Forlini said immigration policy should put Americans first and make sure foreign trade policy allows Americans a fair chance to compete. He would reject amnesty for illegal aliens, create an orderly immigration policy and keep out refugees from countries supporting terrorism and support safe zones.
“I am the only Republican candidate fighting for campaign finance reform,” he said. “Americans have been disenfranchised by anonymous spending of special interest groups...I am fighting to get dark money out of politics.”

• Paul Mitchell, 60, of Washington Township, retired as CEO of Ross Medical Education Center. He was elected to the St. Clair City Council, then resigned five months later. He earned a bachelor’s degree from Michigan State University.

Mitchell said the most important issue facing the country is national security. He feels he has the necessary leadership skills to secure the border, strengthen the military and keep communities safe.
Growing and strengthening the economy so that new jobs can be created is also a top priority. He said he would use his more than 35-year career in the private sector to pass reforms to the tax system, federal “over-regulation,” and the budget so “we stop piling mountains of debt” on succeeding generations.
“Our founding fathers never envisioned people making a career out of public office,” he said. “The original idea was that from time to time, leaders from the community would step forward to represent the community in public life. The country and this community have been an important part of my life and now I want to give back.

• Phil Pavlov, 53, is a member of the Michigan Senate District 25 (2010-present), Michigan House of Representatives 81st District (2005-2010) and St. Clair County Commission (2003-2005). He studied at St. Clair Community College.

Economic revitalization, debt elimination and national security are Pavlov’s main priorities.
He said federal spending must be reined in to secure a financially stable country. Congress should lower taxes and reform the national tax code, and eliminate the capital gains tax.
In terms of national security, he added America must lead from a position of strength and address security in a new way. Illegal immigration must be stopped because it impacts both economic vitality and national security, and acknowledge local law enforcement and give them additional resources to keep communities safe.
In Michigan, many people feel they no longer have a say in government, Pavlov said.
“The role of Congress at all times is to listen to the people and represent their voices in the decision-making process,” he said. “When someone from the 10th District calls -- I’ll answer. I have always been that way, and I will continue that practice in Washington.”

• Alan Sanborn, 59, of Richmond Township is a probation officer for Macomb County who served nine years in the Michigan Senate and four years in the Michigan House of Representatives. He earned a bachelor’s degree at Michigan State University.

Sanborn supports closing America’s borders to refugees from terrorist watchdog list countries until they can be vetted. Allowing illegal aliens to “pour” into the United States is unfair to people who have legally entered and will bankrupt the country as illegals receive benefits such food stamps and housing stipends, he said. He also advocates cutting off federal funding for sanctuary cities, including Detroit, that break federal law by protecting illegal aliens.
Sanborn proposes strengthening homeland security by hiring 20,000 new border officers, increasing funding for the military to combat cyber attacks,
“I am the only candidate who has never voted for a tax increase during my tenure in the state Legislature, thus I was known for being a sound fiscal steward of your money,” Sanborn said. “I will carry that to Washington.”

• David VanAssche, 48, of Shelby Township, is retired from the U.S. Air Force and making his first run at public office. He earned an associate’s degree from the Air Force Community College, a bachelor’s degree from Park University and a master’s degree from Naval Post Graduate School.

VanAssche said the U.S. should take the fight directly to ISIS, which remains a growing threat to national security. He said radical Islamic terrorism must be completely eradicated.
He also supports repealing the Affordable Care Act, which he calls a detriment to the economy. He said finding healthcare alternatives that make sense for Michigan families is a top priority. He also calls for a more business-friendly tax code. Promoting a conservative government will help reduce the national debt and bring jobs back to Michigan.
VanAssche said being a congressman is about “real service and sacrifice for the people. As a veteran, I’ve served our district, Michigan and our country with pride and honor. I served at the highest level by directly serving the President of the United States as Chief Mission Director of Air Force One.

http://www.macombdaily.com/article/M...NEWS/160739996